1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bulls' Thibodeau wins COY

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., May 1, 2011.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Thibodeau named Coach of the Year

[rquoter]DEERFIELD, Ill. (AP)—Tom Thibodeau is the NBA’s Coach of the Year after leading the Chicago Bulls to 62 wins in his first season to tie a league record set by Paul Westphal.

A person with knowledge of the selection told The Associated Press on Sunday that Thibodeau had won. The person requested anonymity because the announcement had not been made. The NBA has scheduled a news conference in Chicago for Sunday afternoon.

The Chicago Tribune first reported Thibodeau’s selection, which was no surprise given what the Bulls accomplished. An NBA assistant for about two decades, Thibodeau finally got his chance to lead a team after spending three seasons working for Doc Rivers in Boston.[/rquoter]

2. adoo

adoo Member

This beckons the question

Did the Rox ever consider Thibodeau after JVG was let go?

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

No, showed no interest in him.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I had the same thought...we are making a huge interviewing effort right now, after we had the now current coach of the year right under our nose all the time.

5. BetterThanEver

BetterThanEver Contributing Member

I think Les Alexander likes to get rid of the entire coaching staff, when he changes coaches. Elston Turner is another highly regarded assistant, but it looks like the Rockets will dismiss him like they did TT.

Even if the Rockets offered him the coach, TT wouldn't have taken over anyway. He wants rings. He came to the Rockets with JVG to win a ring, when T-Mac and Yao could play the majority of the season. It was pretty clear after 2 seasons, that it was never going to happen. He went to the Celtics, because they had 3 all-stars. Then, he went to the Bulls, because they had an all-star. Rockets just had a broken down Yao Ming and broken down T-Mac.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

My understanding is that Adelman was chosen even before JVG was let go.

7. LFE171

LFE171 Member

I was under the impression that when we selected Adelman, Morey still wanted to keep coach thibs as an assistant coach.

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Adelman Thibs combo is probably the most deadly pair-up in NBA coaching. Adelman coached offense plus Thibs coached defense, wow

9. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

We got the best coach on the other end of the spectrum.
    It's a toss-up. Nobody knew Thibodeau was going to be a great coach.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

It makes no sense to fire JVG and then hire a guy with the same philosophy and system.

Les wanted offense.

Now he wants...?

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Young minded and defense?

12. thething

thething Contributing Member

Why would they? They had the opportunity to get a hall of fame coach in Rick Adelman.

13. csnerd84

csnerd84 Member

This is what I had heard. Morey had said that he wanted to keep some assistant coaches when JVG was dismissed but Adelman wanted his guys with him. He implied that the coach normally wants to decide his own group and it may be though to keep the current assistant coaches even if he wanted to.

14. waihh

waihh Contributing Member

I posted the following in December 2007. And I am wondering now, why everyone (Bulls, Nets, Hornets) all jumped on the wagon last year, while nobody wanted to commit to him the year before?

"Who else wants to have more Rick Adelman? The guy as a coach has zero heart, just like our so-called super stars.
    I am fed up with him. Bill just said, he had not felt so embarrassed as a Rockets announcer. I felt the same as a fan. This was a team with 52 wins last season and several significant talent addition. Rick Adelman is an idiot!
    Bring back JVG seemed not to be an option. How can the owner bring back someone he himself decided to let go. Also, there is no point to bring back someone proved not good enough to win it all.
    How about Tom Thibodeau? I like the guy very much, by what he did with Yao, what he said in half time. Insiders, how much did he contribute to the JVG practice and game plan? No matter what, who else can do a worse job than Adelman? or is Adelman honestly doing something other than fooling around?
    If Adelman is going to be fired (the management will be stupid to give him more time if the Rockets play like this for two more games), why not Tom Thibodeau? A short experiment won't hurt but may work wonders. He really helped Doc Rivers tremendously in Boston!!! "

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I knew this was going to happen.

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He deserves it.

17. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

YES! That means he'll be fired soon and we can bring him here!!!! Long live the COY curse!!

18. jlwee

jlwee Member

Now Les want to save money!

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Le'ts see if this is really a curse.

20. Roxs-Redemption

If I can remember correctly, he was our Defensive coach and ranked among the Top 5 in the league in scoring defense and field goal percentage defense from 2004 to 2007...

But I dont think he was considered as a head coach for the Rockets when JVG left.