1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bulls tell Morey today they will NOT match Asik

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Jul 18, 2012.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Yup. Agree completely. All part of negotiations.

2. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

The Toronto pick is a pretty big chip. No need to disregard that. Cleveland can put the better package if they're willing to give up Waiters and one of Thompson/Zeller but all reports are that are not willing to do so, therefore Houston's offer is the best out there clearly.

3. The Cat

No, they can't. Lamb, White, Jones, Motiejunas, the Toronto pick - a combination of those, along with Martin and other assets could destroy an offer centered around Waiters and Thompson/Zeller.

Now, as Bima said, just because the Rockets are ABLE to offer a lot doesn't mean they're willing. But in terms of ability - i.e. who CAN put the best package together - Cleveland can't touch Houston.

4. djohn2o12

djohn2o12 Member

Yup, I wouldn't mind getting Bynum either.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Agreed. Trading a guaranteed lotto pick - be it in the future, or a current one in Waiters - for a guy who doesn't plan to stick around (or at least says as much) is effectively overpaying, really. The only way Orlando gets fair value is if Dwight will sign where he ends up - which he won't do. The Lakers might be incentivized to pay that price, but they don't have those assets.

I'd also note that Orlando may have completely different view of Waiters than Cleveland did. I know I do. I can't believe he was picked that high.

A package of Lamb, Toronto pick would be overpaying really. Giving up 2 lotto picks. Potentially 2 high lotto picks. I'm the last guy to get excited about summer league performance, but Lamb dropped for who knows what reason while Waiters/Ross/Rivers went ahead for who knows what reason. It's still hard to believe.

Kevin Martin, Lamb, Toronto pick + filler would be a bounty for the Magic. A current pick that has high upside. A future pick that has high upside. An expiring contract that they could resign at fair value.

There's a reason this trade hasn't happened yet - it hasn't been offered. DM's wasn't born yesterday.

A Bynum centered package is likely the best the Magic can get, but it's not like Bynum is without serious risks.

Agree entirely. The Rockets haven't traded for Dwight (or Bynum) yet because they aren't offering all of those assets, as they shouldn't.

As many have assumed, and I agree is likely, Morey is probably either offering more young players/picks, or taking back more salary, not both.

6. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Based on our current offer that hasn't been accepted yet, Cleveland can do better than that but they haven't yet. Bima is 100% correct though. Our assets are obviously better than Cleveland's overall but we aren't selling the farm for a possible rental. Neither is Cleveland unless Bynum extends.

7. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Don't scoff at that Dallas pick (top-20 protected through 2017, then unprotected in 2018), either. The heavy protection, ironically, makes it MORE valuable.

Picks that have extremely heavy protections that suddenly drop off have the potential to become highly valuable picks in the distant future.

If the Mavericks fail to get a player like Dwight Howard or Chris Paul next summer, it is entirely possible that the Mavs may be unable to attain one of the league's 10 best records in any of the next several years, instead plodding along as a mid-range playoff team as Dirk's skill level slowly declines. Then, after Dirk is a shell of his former self (and/or retired), when the Mavericks are rebuilding (or even if they're "reloading"), that pick obligation will rear its ugly head.

That pick could end up being a top-10 pick in 2018. I know that's pretty far out there, but go ask the New York Knicks or the (then) Vancouver Grizzlies how their trades for Stephon Marbury in 2004 and for Otis Thorpe in 1997, respectively, turned out. Both teams traded similarly protected picks. The Knicks ended up losing the #9 pick in 2010, while the Grizzlies ended up losing the #2 pick in 2003.

1 person likes this.
  8. ClKent

ClKent Member

Well thought out. I know all these values people place on drafted players and such. The one thing that gets me on Waiters is how there was a process that moved him up the draft board so high. No matter where I look I cant find a way to put above any of the top SG's in this draft. Maybe it just me. I am no expert. Makes me wonder how other teams view this pick by Cleveland?

9. AFS

AFS Member

Darko.
    [​IMG]

10. The Cat

There's no real knowledge of what the Houston offer is. It's "reportedly" been about a million different things, all depending on the source. In other words, everyone is guessing.

11. cyberx

cyberx Member

Maybe they ARE waiting until after the olympics, especially if Varejo is included.

(Guess)

12. djohn2o12

djohn2o12 Member

Orlando would have no use for Varejo or his contract though.

13. cyberx

cyberx Member

I agree... Just going by the report.

14. Toast

Toast Member

From a league marketing standpoint, Dwightmare was a good story line for a couple of weeks while nothing else all that interesting was going on. Now there's headlines full of Kobes and Melos and Lebrons for a while, so there's no need to report on the biggest name not in the games.

15. djohn2o12

djohn2o12 Member

Agree. On this theory i can see a deal being agreed upon but kept private until after the Olympics based on the fact that its been too quiet for too long.

16. Toast

Toast Member

Nah, someone would definitely end up leaking it if a deal were in place.

More likely, Stern says, "You got your offers. Mull 'em over for a few weeks. See if anyone's willing to up the ante. We'll check back in after our guys bring home the gold. No rush."

Wait-and-see mode.

17. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Yeah, I don't think a deal could be agreed upon and kept under wraps. If a deal is struck, the word will spread, IMO.

18. Debriz

Debriz Member

They would be able to flip him for a first/expiring with ease.

19. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

But that's not much to build on for a new foundation when trading your franchise player.

20. The Cat

The only first/expiring they could get for Varejao would be a junk one from a contender looking for an extra big. In other words, more worthless picks like the original Brooklyn offer. No team even remotely close to the lottery would risk giving up a first for the likes of Anderson Varejao.