1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bulls preparing many scenarios to dump 1st-round pick

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Petey-N-Htown, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

Chicago Tribune
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...-bits-bulls-chicago--20100623,0,5963539.story
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    The Heat and Thunder followed the Bucks and Clippers in making a pre-draft trade, which the Bulls still are working to accomplish.

"There are a lot of things we're considering, some of which the (No. 17) pick is involved with," general manager Gar Forman said Wednesday. "We're not just going to move the pick (alone) for financial consideration. Like trade deadlines, a lot of times things don't happen until the 24th hour."

Like the Heat's trade of Daequan Cook and their first-round pick, the Bulls are trying to shave payroll for free agency. They've tried to package the pick with Luol Deng or Kirk Hinrich with little serious interest yet, although talks with the Clippers continue.

Rose-y outlook: Former Bull Jalen Rose, now an ESPN analyst, uncharacteristically didn't play it close to the vest when Tweeting "research/sources say it is almost certain that LeBron James will not be returning to the Cavs" and "the Bulls have the best chance of landing LBJ."

All indications are James will make multiple visits once free agency begins July 1. Persistent whispers continue that Hawks All-Star guard Joe Johnson wants to commit to the Bulls early.

Forman addressed the delicate balance teams must walk between gauging what James will do while others might express the desire to agree to terms earlier.

"We've put hypotheticals on the board and those are things we talk about in preparing, just like we do for the draft," Forman said. "You have to prepare for everything."

For his part, new coach Tom Thibodeau downplayed hiring Creative Artists Agency, under whose umbrella Leon Rose, James' agent, works.

"It's quite a large agency and the person I deal with, Terry Prince, handles the coaches," Thibodeau said. "In terms of how we will attract free agents, we have a lot to offer."
    -------------------------------------------------------

I'm not sure if this has already been posted.

2. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

You better believe Johnson wants to commit early - he's the last resort of all these teams. If I were him I would show up at the Bulls HR department ready to fill out my paperwork saying "when can I start?" the very minute FA starts.

3. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Gersson Rosas is on record as saying that the Rockets view the next tier, after the top 5, as being "in the 6-17 range".

Well, if the Rockets really like all of those players in that range enough, I wonder if Morey would be willing to trade the Rockets' 2011 second rounder (the higher of their own or the Clippers') plus $2-3M of Les's cash to nab that pick. Perhaps even throw in the draft rights to Lior Eliyahu or Brad Newley (if the Bulls actually like either of them).

If nothing "better" materializes for Chicago, and they are on the clock at #17, I sure hope Morey makes that call.

4. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

Would this be kind of like the Heat/Thunder situation where the Heat traded their pick + Cook to the Thunder for a 2nd Round pick?

Are the Bulls trying to give their pick away if the team will take on one of their player's contracts?...The Bulls do have some talent on their squad.

5. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

....and is it just me or do people seriously overrate the Joakim Noah/Derrick Rose duo? I like both players, but they make them out to be future HOFers and to me Noah will be a very good role player and Rose is an All Star in the vein of Chauncey Billups. Again, good players and no doubt good running mates for Lebron, but they aren't necessarily an instant recipe for being better than Cleveland unless Taj Gibson takes some serious strides this offseason.

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

He fits in better with the Bulls than LeBron would IMO. Johnson has had experience playing in both an open-court offense (PHX) as well as in an isolation offense (ATL) so he doesn't need to have the ball AT. ALL. TIMES. like LeBron. This fairs better for Bulls players that DO need the ball in their hands at all times (i.e. Rose). If I were the Bulls, I'd go get Johnson at $12 mil a year and Amare at max and don't even look back.

Rose
    Johnson
    Deng
    Amare
    Noah

That team right there can compete with ANYONE in the NBA.

7. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

They're not SUPERSTARS but their efficiency output makes them great complimentary players with a superstar or within a team unit.

You don't need Noah to score 16-18 points a night but you definitely need him for his defense/rebounding/shot blocking.

Same with Rose--you don't WANT him to score 24 points a night when he should be moving the ball to get other teammates (i.e. better scorers like the FA crop this summer) scoring opportunities.

The duo is not overrated but rather scouts/execs knows that they can be vital to a team that's building toward championship status.

8. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I completely agree with that - I'm just not sure if Johnson's agent is going to settle for anything but the max. I like Johnson but he is getting a little old to be getting a max contract.

9. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I don't think LeBron really needs the ball in his hands at all times. I can't think of one teammate of his that I would rather give the ball to for scoring or to initiate the offense, and I mean since he has been in the league.

10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yup... Lebron looked great on team USA where he played off the ball...