1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bulls got away with a lot

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by JW86, Jan 7, 2020.

1. JW86

JW86 Member

Seriously, if you want to put an asterisk next to the Warriors trophies for the moving screens and Draymond, do the same for Bulls 96-98 as Rodman got away with murder, Pippen could just push and slap away while MJ magically never committed a foul to the point of having to sit.

2. TilmanFinancialWindfall

What

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

THIS is a hot take

4. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Dude the whole league was doing worse. The Bulls where choir boys in comparison to the Sonics Knicks Cavaliers Pistons Pacers in that era

5. omgTHEpotential

Thinly disguised 'NBA refs are doing a good job' thread.

CK Johnson, clutchdabear and hakeem94 like this.
  6. magichat281

magichat281 Member

Back in hey days an offensive player use to throw elbows on defenders create space and now it’s an offensive foul and technical at times. Back then they use to about to fight almost everday. Basketball was the **** back then.

7. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Jordan, Pippen, and Rodman were each the best defenders at their positions of all time.

8. TilmanFinancialWindfall

Guys would fight on court and carry on.

No t

No ejection

Not of this friends cap

You get fouled on every play

Thinly digusted as Harden and Curry wouldn't make it in 80 and 90

9. Blackjack84

Blackjack84 Member

who allowed you to make a post

RustyHarden and MorningZippo like this.
  10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

ok, i will do that.

But if we're really going to asterisk the Warriors titles, we could also do it based on injuries their opponents faced:
    2015 Mike Conley/Tony Allen, Patrick Beverley, Kyrie Irving/Kevin Love
    2017 Jusuf Nurkic, George Hill, Kawhi Leonard/Tony Parker
    2018 Kawhi Leonard, Demarcus Cousins, Chris Paul

11. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

No, No, and No.

vinsensual, Deckard and napalm06 like this.
  12. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think so. I think so. Their defensive IQ combined with their length, footwork, hands, strength, anticipation, quickness, speed, toughness, and willingness to defend is the reason why they were the greatest. Either way, the reason they weren't called for many fouls was that they were excellent defenders.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

[​IMG]

You don't say?

Rocket River

Nook likes this.
  14. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Dude, love the enthusiasm, but can you slow down on making random posts on 90's games you just finished watching?

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/bulls-got-away-with-a-lot.303115/
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/anthony-mason-first-big-point-forward.303089/
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/index.php?threads/1998-8th-seed-rockets-almost-upset-jazz.303088/

Gracias.

15. JW86

JW86 Member

Haha fair enough, but seriously man, I just think people need to stop telling lies to themselves about the past. Referees made same mistakes, stars got calls, teams and players with a reputation got away with more, etc.

#15 JW86, Jan 8, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
    RKREBORN likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

Nah.

Pippen was the best wing defender of his generation....... Jordan was the best guard defender of his generation as well.... Rodman was a really good defender as well...... but none of them are the best ever at their position. Kawhi Leonard in his prime would eat Pippen's lunch....... Alvin Robertson for one was a better defender than Jordan and Tim Duncan was a vastly superior defender than Rodman....... So was Kevin Garnett.

The trio of Jordan/Pippen/Rodman are likely the best trio defensively in NBA history.... and Ron Harper was a really good defender at PG.

Those Bulls teams are the best team I have seen (other than possibly the mid 80's Celtics teams).

JumpMan likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

James Harden would make it just fine in the 80's and 90's. He would still challenge Jordan for the scoring title and would likely win them. There was no zone defense allowed, it was very hard to double guys as well. Harden is built like a bull as well and can take a lot of physical abuse and keep playing.

Steph Curry would still be a dangerous weapon but I don't know that he would physically be able to play 40 minutes a night with the constant hand checking and physical nature of the game. He would still score at an all world clip as far as efficiency is concerned, but he would have issues staying healthy. On the defensive end he would struggle a lot, he would need someone like Hakeem to clean up his mistakes.

Patience likes this.
  18. Juxtaposed Jolt

Had the popcorn ready, expecting a thread peppered with "Markkanen this" and "Coby White that."

I haz disappoint.

steddinotayto likes this.
  19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I didn't see Hakeem mentioned in all this. Early in his career, in the mid to late 1980's, he got into fights all the time. Back then, you'd get tossed and then play the next game. He was the best defender at the 5 position I ever saw play the game.

BaselineFade and Nook like this.
  20. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Yeah, my younger self would agree with you.

I don't think Rodman was as good as a defender as say KG, who could pretty much shut down any given player at any given position. Rodman didn't fare as well against well rounded offensive players. He had his weaknesses against small forward and big guys with good post moves and range. He wasn't much of a rim protector. KG is the prototype for today's power forward, being well rounded offensively, while guarding any position

Also, you have Elvin Hayes.

But, most of all, is... Tim Duncan. Rodman was unbelievable, but he just can't do what Duncan did defensively in anyway.

Draymond Green, Anthony Mason, Larry Nance, Ben Wallace, Rasheed Wallace, Dale Davis, Serge Ibaka, Charles Oakley, Horace Grant, Chuck Hayes, A.C. Green, Kevin Willis, or even young Robert Horry.

Pippen was fantastic, but is he that much better than Bobby Jones, John Havlicek, Tony Allen, Bruce Bowen, Ron Artest/Metta World Peace, Paul George, or Kawhi.

MJ, I think would be closest, but there were guys, like West, Kobe, Alvin Robertson, and most of all, Sidney Moncrief.

Best defensive trio ever, I'd be more willing to say yes on that note. But, there's so many to choose from over the course of history.