1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bulls GM and Thibs are feuding?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by durvasa, Oct 6, 2013.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I guess I missed this news earlier, but according to Woj its becoming a toxic situation (could be him just being overly dramatic, as is his style):

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--d...uld-help-mend-fracturing-bulls-081117937.html

[rquoter]
    An assistant coach that Rose deeply valued, Ron Adams, was let go over Thibodeau's wishes this summer because Forman didn't like Adams' defiant disposition. Eventually, Rose could be trapped in the middle of the Forman-Thibodeau cold war.

As the months passed without Thibodeau signing his name to a four-year contract extension last season, the coach privately feared the consequences of fully committing himself to that inevitable signature, league sources said.

If Thibodeau had been convinced that his GM was usurping the coach's influence without a signed deal, he knew the finalizing of his contract would move him further to the mercy of the GM. The Bulls had a news conference for that four-year, $18 million contract on the eve of training camp in 2012, but it was months and months until Thibodeau signed his name.

"It is a toxic relationship that I believe will ultimately derail them," one NBA coaching source with close ties to Thibodeau and Forman warned.

As Thibodeau delivered one of the best coaching performances the NBA had witnessed in years, pushing past the loss of Rose and core rotation players to beat the Brooklyn Nets and take the Miami Heat to five games in the conference semifinals, management kept pushing to exert controls on him.

What had been a strained, fractured partnership descended into permanent disrepair with Forman's firing of Adams, the Bulls' top assistant coach and decades-long confidant of Thibodeau's. If Bulls management had to take Thibodeau's criticisms and pushback, they refused to take it from Adams.

As one league source told Yahoo Sports, "Ron didn't drink the Kool-Aid there, and this was a message from Gar to Thibs that he's running the show, especially on picking the players."
    [/rquoter]

2. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

If he leaves, Bulls will never win a ring under the Rose era.

3. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

What a nightmare you have a top 5 player and arguably a top 5 coach and something like this crap happens? I feel bad for bulls fans.

4. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

this

lol at that dumbass GM what a potato

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I hope Thibs goes directly to the owner with this. Have the GM get fired. If not he says screw you and leaves for another team.

6. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

pop and thibs are the best coaches in the nba period

owner will do what thibs says

7. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Would love for the rockets to pick up Adams.

8. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Me too but he joined Brad Stevens in Boston. Great hire.

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

10. T-macsterful1

T-macsterful1 Member

I'm not so sure there will be a full Rose era if he leaves. They haven't done anything in terms of bringing together a roster to challenge the east's best teams. Thib's defense system is what has kept them afloat, if he leaves, I doubt Rose stays beyond this contract as much as he loves Chicago.

11. Bill Worrell

Bill Worrell Member

GM needs to fired for picking up scrubs and NOT going after a SG... too much on Rose

12. SK34

SK34 Member

They have a decent team tho.
    They have shooters in bellinelli and dunleavey. They have Deng and The kid from Houston (can't recall name atm). And a great front court. Rose and hinrich. That's a solid squad that can make east finals.

13. Johndoe804

Johndoe804 Member

Their GM is a dumbass. If you'll all recall that thread discussing the worse GM's in the league, he was my vote.

14. DocRock

DocRock Member

Bellinelli is a Spur and they're not re-signing Deng. This is a team on the decline with a cheap owner and a bad GM. However I don't think Rose is smart enough to leave before his 30s.

15. da_juice

da_juice Member

The Bulls are just good enough (and Rose is much too proud) for Rose to bolt out anytime soon. I do think he'll get discontented eventually and play on a stacked team at the tail end of his career (a la Steve Nash or Gary Payton).

16. Nook

Nook Member

This is nothing new... I have posted about it on here before. Last year there became an old fashioned power struggle between Thibs and Foreman.

Last year Thibs was angry that he had not been offered an extension and that "his guys" were in trade talks. Foreman and the Bulls offered a contract, Thibs accepted it but then made Foreman look like a fool by not signing it for most of the season.

Foreman got even by not letting Thibs retain his top assistant, which is a huge slap to the face.

I expect Thibs to lose the power struggle.

17. Nook

Nook Member

The Bulls actually are better off than a year ago, they will have cap space to make a major move or two in the near future with Boozer and Deng coming off the cap soon.

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

Although I find the Bulls front office and their whole "organizations win championships" BS laughable, especially with their decade long futility, I do side with them here. The coach is just that, the coach. Adelman didn't think like this, and he left the Rockets... and we weren't exactly all that badly off. Thibs is seriously overrated right now. He's a great coach, but do you honestly think the Bulls won't contend if he were replaced by SVG tomorrow? Of course not.

If Thibs want power, he should've rejected the extension then sign with a team that gives him that. Like Minnesota did with Adelman.

19. NotChandlerParsons

Well yeah but SVG is also a really good coach. I don't think they would've even made the playoffs last year with most coaches. But I agree with your point.

20. Nook

Nook Member

I tend to agree with you.... except Thibs is a far better coach than Gar Forman is an executive. Having said that, the relationship isnt going to work.

The owner has to decide which is more valuable to the franchise, the GM or the coach..... usually the answer is the GM.