1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bullard speculates Yao could play tonight?!?!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by shaggylambda, Mar 3, 2007.

1. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

Can anyone that watched the TV broadcast lastnight confirm? I swear I heard Bullard say that Yao might play against San Antonio. He also said that not many people knew about the possibility. Did anyone record the broadcast? I might have misinterpreted he said.

2. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

Mods can lock this up if it is posted somewhere else.

3. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

Gene Peterson said the same thing. He wouldnt be suprised if the big fella would be back tonight

4. NewYorker

NewYorker Ghost of Clutch Fans

would be a mistake to rush Yao back....

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Yes, a big mistake. Why rush Yao back against San Antonio of all teams? I'd like them to give Yao at least a week. I thought that was the game plan originally.

6. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

We are in very good shape. This isn't even a must-win game. No need to rush him back at all. He's only had one full contact practice with the brace. He has no business to suit up tonight.

7. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

how said it's rushing him back? he's cleared to play

8. poseyistheman

poseyistheman Member

This team is leveling out and if we are to make noise in the playoffs we need Yao back and in shape. Yao is in pain but he's healthy now in the sense that everything is back and in working order. The pain will be there until the season is over but we need Yao back now.

9. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

10. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Sounds like he needs some more conditioning if that's the case. I suppose he could play in small doses but what would be the point. Just let him keep working on his stamina and conditioning.

11. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Nothing will get him in condition for a game, like the game itself. If he is ready, if doctor say he's ready, then he is ready and should start playing.

The risk will always be there, he is a big man.

12. shaggylambda

shaggylambda Member

During the pregame show, I think FSN was trying to generate a story stating "differences of opinion" between JVG and either Yao, the doctors, or both. It showed JVG giving his comments about how if you are cleared for full practices you should be able to play in the games. Then it cut to Yao saying that he's pretty much ready but its up to coach and the doctors. Yao and JVG have always had a good relationship, so this leads me to believe that the doctors are just being cautious. If not, the doctors are just mouth pieces for Rockets managment.

It seems as though there is a lot of pressure on Yao and JVG on getting Yao back. Even if he feels like he is ready to play tonight, I think we can afford a week or even a week and a half, maybe after the next road trip to bring him back.

13. anitasri

anitasri Member

I am more for waiting for one more week- even if he is ready to go. He needs 20 games to get back into the best shape- and I really dont see a need why risk rushing him? This guy is our trump card!

14. teeloo

teeloo Contributing Member

Also the other guy on 610, not Gene, kept saying the same thing and said his return is imminent. if not saturday then the next game.

15. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

Another reason why I hate JVG. If that's his logic, no I don't even want to start, we can't even beat the damn Hawks. Anyways, there is no reason to rush him right now. He's been out since Dec. 23 and he has had only one full practice and now everyone wants him to play. You think Jake or Deke are going to work him over during practice? No way. And on top of that, he's obviously not in any game-type shape. Let him have another one or two practices and then come and play against the Celtics. I don't want him going up against Duncan or Ilgauskas. It's that simple.

16. Rockets Dynasty

The original prognosis was this:

1. 6 weeks for the bone to heal.

2. 2 weeks for the muscles and ligaments to fully recover.

3. 2 weeks to get his stamina and cardio conditioning back.

4. He could then either return at this 10 week time point, or he could practice with the team for another 2 weeks, then return.

So from the injury the 10 week time date would be March 5th. He has already returned to practice.

So the whole issue is whether the Rockets choose to play him now without the 2 weeks of practice or wait. But he has ALREADY met the stamina and conditioning timeline.

In other words, the only thing he lacks now is getting in game shape, which means either lots of practice or getting in some game action.

So he could play now depending simply on which approach the Rockets take.

But it has nothing to do with his physical state as he is already fully recovered.

17. Angioplasty

Angioplasty Member

He has been cleared to practice, not play.

18. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

Play Yao against the Spurs, he'll provide a spark for the team even if it's only for 10 minutes. If his knee isn't sore, he's ready enough to play 10mpg.

19. IC2000

IC2000 Contributing Member

Its hard to practice when there are not practices scheduled

20. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

Should we have more practices?