1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BULLARD BLEW THIS ONE

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kissofdeath, Nov 26, 1999.

Tags:
  1. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Godd points, DS99, but Smith is the type of player who can play very differently down the stretch in a close game, versus early on in what appears to be a fairly easy game.

Not knocking Shandon's D, but when Smith gets hot he is d*mn difficult to stop...he's big w/ a good shot and quick release.

2. kissofdeath

kissofdeath Member

Rudy had the wrong line-up on the floor in OT. Period. Bullard should have been on the offensive end of the floor at the end of regulation and should have been ready for his three point shot -- and that's exactly how it went down. That's his role and that's how we used him -- no problems with that.

During the Rockets huddle before OT, however, you could hear Rudy say that Smith would be Portlands' first option. No riddle solved there. But who does Rudy send in? The bull. I turn to my girlfriend and say "Smith is gonna score all over Bullard, where's Anderson or Rogers?" I was fixated on the Bull/Smith match-up for the next 15 minutes and watched Bullard play like he always does -- he stands around on BOTH ends of the floor waiting for his shot and waiting for someone else to help him defensively.
    Teams are going to shoot poorly from the floor at times -- and players like Francis are going to struggle offensively. You know it's gonna happen occassionally and I can forgive that -- as long as your playing some defense. But tight OT games like this one are WON and LOST on the defensive end of the floor. Great team defense brought championships to Houston -- not three point shooting. What I hate to see is Rudy put players on the floor that can't play defense in these situations. I'm not blaming Bullard because I realize he's not that kind of player. You can't polish a turd and like Cohen pointed out -- I don't expect Bullard to play like a top draft pick. This is when a coach makes an adjustment and, in Portland, Rudy didn't make any for the overtime period.

I like Slam's point -- it is a double-edged sword -- and it didn't help any that we were short-handed with Olajuwon gone. It's games like this that you really miss what Olajuwon brings to the table defensively. Dunleavy made adjustments -- he brings in Sabonis and he scores over Cato on the first possession.

Regardless of this thread's title, the post singles out Rudy's decision to stick with Bull in OT. My apologies to Grummett and Cohen for a misleading title -- I'm not above a little yellow journalism to get a good conversation started. Don't confuse this with shrinking conviction, though. Bullard is a one-trick pony and we should have been riding a thoroughbred. We should have had Anderson in there or maybe Rogers. Portland went with a bigger and more athletic line-up in OT and we should have some quicker horses in there as well. Anderson's numbers don't show up in the boxscore, but he is aggressive defensively.

3. jscmedia

jscmedia Contributing Member

As much as I cringe when ever Bull is running around in a close game that screams defense, to dump the loss on his is rediculous. He had one of his better games the last two seasons, and was playing up to his potential. What if Anderson, Francis and WIlliams had hit, oh I don't know , maybe 38% of their shots ? We would have easily taken this game. But we didn't. Hats off to Cato and Rogers. I want to see them on the floor together for extended minutes with other starters, I think they are the future right now ! By the way, Portland doesn't exactly suck, and they have better talent then we do. SOmetimes you just lose.

4. Barzilla

Barzilla Member

Kissofdeath,

The Rockets battled the best team in the NBA (arguably) to overtime and you're going to nitpick like that? Personally, I thought the effort was almost heroic considering that TMass and Hakeem were out in the second half. Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of guys I would rather have than Bullard, but given our current situation I think he did about as well as can be expected.

For those of you dogging Francis, have you ever stopped to think that this guy is 21 years old? He's going to lay an egg every once in awhile. The key is keep giving him ball so he can learn from nights like this. I don't know what Dream's status for the next few games is, but this might be a blessing in desguise. Cato will finally get some consistent minutes and the Rockets might even have to play Kenny Thomas if TMass is also out.

The only criticism I would have of this game is that Rudy continued to chunk it down to Charles on the last several possessions. Notice that it wasn't a post up move that created the tying basket, but a penetration by Francis.

------------------
    Rockets When? Rockets When?

5. CaucasionSensation

Well when Rogers can't perform Bullard is the last option. I thought Bullard did a very decent job this game of hitting his shots when he was open. Walt Williams hit a three that I saw, but nothing that justified him playing then.

We had to go to Chuck in the 4th and OT and that of course means we need a shooter in the game, due to the spacing system which then occurs. Rogers can't shoot from outside, I don't care what anybody says. Bullard only got the time, because Williams couldn't throw a basketball in the ocean. So we really took the lesser of two evils.

To pin an entire loss on one shot or one player because of it is unfair, if that's what is happening here. Francis was ineffective the whole game, Stoudamire and Anthony plugged him up, he looked lost on offense. Hakeem and Charles are too old and undersized to carry us now against the best teams, that's why we are heading for trades and eventually the lottery. Thank God we got some shooting from Mobley or else we would have been up a creek.

6. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Hey,a made free throw or converted layup and we could easily have taken down the Blazers.The talent is there.Defense is what wins teams titles(unless you are the SHOWTIME LAKERS)just kiddin!and we have the players to shut down teams.Our team defense will grow as the season goes on and eventually Rudy will bring the offense and rotation up to speed.I only hope it isn't too late.
    HH

7. Finalfantasy

Finalfantasy Member

You all completely forgot Walt the wizrd WILLIAMS he hit 2-6 and Bull hit 2-7, if the last 3 were taken by Wiz we would force another OT and possibly win the game, The difference? Walt was playing good defense on Pippen last night!

8. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

Nobody here is dumping this game on Matt Bullard. This game is solely on Rudy's shoulders. You can't blame Matt Bullard because he was just playing to his capabilities. Rudy should have realized that his capabilities arent enough and put Anderson in.

Look, I don't give a damn how many 3's Matt Bullard hit last night. It all starts on the defensive end of the floor. Defense leads to easy buckets. It was just poor decision making on Rudy's part to put Matt Bullard on a Dream-Teamer. The coach should know his player's weaknesses and cover them. No way should Matt Bullard be in the game in the overtime. You can still always score. It's not like Shandon Anderson is some no offense playing stiff who cant make a layup. Offensive opportunities will always come. What the coach needs to do is prepare the best defensive lineup and hope for the best offensively. Defense is what wins games.

9. Pass 1st shoot 2nd

Pass 1st shoot 2nd Contributing Member

Cabbage,
    "What the coach needs to do is prepare the best defensive lineup and hope for the best offensively. Defense is what wins games."
    I agree. But in the Portland game, Shandon didn't do crap offensively, and he was no stud defensively either. Rudy went with production, not possibilities and I can't blame him. I would like to think Rudy would have done differently on another night, but Shandon was in the deep blue nothing and we needed "O." Shandon sure as hell didn't fit there.

10. Finalfantasy

Finalfantasy Member

Shandon is a player that wants to take high percentage shots, he can socre if he put up 7 shots, but he only took one, on the contrary. Bullard was 2-7 and I'd rather let Shandon take those shots. If Shandon got hot and agressive the Rox could eat the Blazers alive at the free throw line alone, along with Cuttino Mobley..

11. CaucasionSensation

Shandon isn't going to go out of his way to take shots. He is an oppurtunity player. The guy forces nothing. And when it comes down to final shots, I'll take Bullard again and again from that distance any day over Anderson. He got a good look, just couldn't finish.

I think Anderson just needs to be a little more selfish. The guy is terrific at playing very conservatively, but I'm afraid he is completely unwilling to test out his game from night to night. He should force a little more.

12. Finalfantasy

Finalfantasy Member

Rudy shoud have put Mobley, Shandon, Wiz on the court, so compare Shandon's 3 point shooting with Bullard's is unneccesary. What we needed is a defensive presence, not two open shots given by Bullard to Steve Smith in the OT. Shaddon is also a better passer and moves well without ball, he could create open shots for Wiz, so he should be guarding Smith, not Matt Bullard. The guy hit 2 3s out 7 shots so he should be on the court in the crunch time? Rudy's hot on Bullard when actually he could do very little.

13. Finalfantasy

Finalfantasy Member

BTW, we forced OT because of Cato's opportunity basket. So Shandon, as an opportunity basket player, is justified to play in OT, that is why the Portland put Augmon in in the fourth, for defense, not offense.

14. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

the problem is we have no 3 pt shooters. we had frANCIS AND BULLARD JAKKING THE THREES. IF WE HAD MACK WE WOULD HAVE WON THIS GAME. the rockets can't continue to jack up the threes. this game could have been won if when we were down my 3 with 2 minues left in overtime we didnt' have francis thinking he could hti threes. we need mack

15. thacabbage

Shoot 1st, Pass 2nd: Shandon was locking up Steve Smith before Bullard checked in.

FinalFantasy brought up a good point. Look at Kelvin Cato. The guy has zero offensive skills, yet still he managed to score. There are always opportunities on offense. No matter who you are, and Shandon could take advantage of that.

16. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Rudy shouldnt of put bullard in there. It was dumb. He has no defense. I would rather of had Walt Williams, even though he is not that fast.

A MATCHUP WALT SHOULD REALLY DO GOOD IS ON MONDAY!

The 2 slowest small forwards going at it.

Shareef Abdur Rahim the slowest ever vs Walt Williams , another slow ass.

17. thacabbage

I think Donyell Marshall of the Golden State Warriors already holds that title.