1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Building a team around Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by valorita, Jan 5, 2013.

1. Jedster

Jedster Member

You make so much sense!!

2. iconoclastism

iconoclastism Member

Exactly the same as his contract. In a year or two, it would be a bargain for his current value.

3. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Surprised you wouldn't want Conley. He's a top 5 PG...but Memphis knows this, so i doubt they'd give him up.

4. BreakYoSelfFool

What the original poster fails to realize is that the Rockets are a team that thinks outside the box in terms of team building.
    Plus
    [SG]
    Great Penetrator, Finishes well at rim, efficient scorer, draws fouls, distributes the ball well

Is the same kind of copycat rigid team building that every team has been trying to do for years and the final result is usually everyone competing for the same players and over paying for lesser players because they fit closest to the "blueprint".

You may like to see a starting lineup like:
    [PG]
    12 pts 12 asts 2 reb 2 stl
    [SG]
    25 pts 5 asts 5 reb 1 stl
    [SF]
    15 pts 3 asts 8 reb 2 stl
    [PF]
    20 pts 2 asts 10 reb 1 blk
    [C]
    15 pts 0 asts 15 reb 2 blk

But would it be any better than:
    [PG]
    15 pts 3 asts 8 reb 2 stl
    [SG]
    15 pts 0 asts 15 reb 2 blk
    [SF]
    20 pts 2 asts 10 reb 1 blk
    [PF]
    12 pts 12 asts 2 reb 2 stl
    [C]
    25 pts 5 asts 5 reb 1 stl

It shouldn’t because they are the exact same stats. For that matter you can take off the individual positions and label them GGFFC or GGGFF or GFFFC or GGGGC or GGFCC and if the stats are the same it doesn’t matter.
    However, if you found a PF C combo that could put up 12 pts 12 asts 2 reb 2 stl and 25 pts 5 asts 5 reb 1 stl no one fight you for them because they don’t rebound or block shots. Same for a PG that doesn’t get many assists.

Rockets basic gameplay/ strategy:
    • Win in turnover margin
    • Win in Rebounds and Fast break Pts
    • Win in FT battle
    • Shoot High percentage/high reward shots: Shoot only from the paint or 3 pt line or free throws
    • Reduce/ eliminate mid-range shots especially contested midrange shots
    • Avoid contested shots outside of the paint

What I believe the Rockets actively look for/ have on the current roster:
    • Finish at a high rate at the rim/ in the paint: Lin, Harden, Parsons, Asik
    • Team scores at high percentage when used in pick n roll: Lin, Harden, Parson, Asik
    • Passes well for position: Lin, Harden, Parsons, Asik
    • Creates Pts by drawing fouls/FTs: Lin, Harden
    • Shoot efficiently from 3: Harden, Parsons, Morris, Patterson, Douglas
    • Create extra possessions by forcing turnovers: Lin, Parsons, Douglas
    • Create extra possessions with Blocks: Asik
    • Create extra possessions with Rebounds: Asik
    • Prevent opponent from finishing at a high rate in the paint: Parsons, Patterson, Asik
    Player that best fit Rockets style of play and valued attributes:

Josh Smith- With the Rockets pace, he could easily put up 20/10, and also throw in 3-5 assists, 2 steals and 2 blocks. He’s actually shooting well from 3 with 38%, finishes at an extremely high percentage in the paint. Great defender and shot blocker, potential Defensive POY every year.
    Besides having always played on the Hawks, his main flaw is that he shoots way too many mid range shots and shoots them horribly (25%). Even with half his shots being midrange jumpers he still manages a decent 44% shooting average. If he was to play within the Rockets system, which would let him shoot more threes and eliminate midrange jumpers, he would be far more efficient.

5. valorita

valorita Member

Good post. But i disagree on the production from anywhere principle. I dont think this works like fantasy basketball where you can get numbers from anywhere. Besides, I'm pretty sure that there are no sg that avgs 15rbs per game... J/K i know what you mean.
    Theres a reason why you want certain production from certain positions. As outsiders, we've always had to be creative in our approach. However, we no longer have to be in that position because people might actually want to play with the Rockets now.

6. my2cents

my2cents Member

Dear King1..

SAS said "Lin is not belong to NBA"; it doesn't make any difference who he is..

We don't need to be a NBA player to watch the games or select who is the favors player in ppl's heart. the silent majority ppl already show their heart though all-star vote and even poll on here. That is the fact and no one could deny that.

I am here just point out whatever you saying didn't change anything but..... :rolleyes:

7. my2cents

my2cents Member

Lin is a young player and has a lot upside and created something called Linsanity last year. I tired ppl bash Lin every little thing. No one has the same treatment on the team but only Lin.

Sometime I thought that was a location thing (A new place, A new team,..) but the late I thought just because the player IS Lin.

If ppl really don't want to accept Lin here, let him move on and I am sure a lot GMs or owners will welcome him...

8. Shaq2Yao

Shaq2Yao Member

Les laugh at that. Unfortunately Lin bring far value to Rockets than Harden.

9. iconoclastism

iconoclastism Member

That's what I call an intelligent post. The OP's post was full of cow digested grass leftover.

10. iconoclastism

iconoclastism Member

Exactly. Your post reeks of fantasy basketball. The immeasurable intangibles are what will make the difference at the end of the day.

11. Good Times

Good Times Member

Good points, a team is best when no one player is required to handle the offense. That said, our "system" needs a pg that can penetrate as we're constantly pushing and attacking the basket. That to me is more valuable to this team than having a spot up shooting pg and also much more harder to find. I am acceptable of Lin's turnovers as long as he's consistently aggressive.

12. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

I have a question...

Why do so many feel the Rockets need to run out and get a PF...???

How many opposing frontcourts have dominated the Rockets front court... *Not many* But how many frontcourts have the Rockets dominated and shut down... *Count em*

With Patterson and Morris (and Smith and Parsons when they play them as a PF) the numbers out of that position have been good enough.

I think Morey should just add pieces to the bench. Maybe Anderson can be a lock down defender on the perimeter off the bench. The Rockets need more help defensively in the backcourt than they do the frontcourt. And a catch shoot player (any position). And never know what T Jones or D Mo will develop into.

l would rather watch this team grow and take their bumps in bruises in the playoffs for the next two years. By then L. James will be a free agent and K. Love will be in the last year of his contract and Minnesota will be forced to trade him and Houston would be a prime destination for one of those super stars.

13. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Didn't Cleveland and Orlando make it to the championship...???? If so that shoots your theory down and is proof you can win by building around a player...

But you are very correct about the rest of your post...

I think it can be done both ways...

14. itachen

itachen Member

Look at this 2013'er, pffft. :rolleyes: Delusional player only fan pretending to be a Rocket fan! I hope your favorite player gets traded back to wherever he came from and taking his fan base with him!

Welcome to the board :grin:

15. Knickskiller

Knickskiller Member

happy trolling?

16. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I think with Harden, you get a left handed Dwayne Wade with a 3 point shot.
    We need one more all-star calliber player and a bench player to make this team elite

17. fishguy91

fishguy91 Member

realistically I dont see us trading Lin. He's too popular and Blazers & Timberwolves got their PG to build around already

18. Beard

Beard Member

Shooting is the easiest thing an NBA player can improve. The things that are hard to improve; aggressiveness, playermaking ability, finishing around the rim, Lin does these very well. He looks pretty accurate from about 18 ft too, hes a good ft shooter, so he isnt even a BAD shooter. Just needs to add a few feet to his range. The most important thing he brings is his ability and willingness to push the ball, which is what this team is built on.

As for PF, even though he has been pretty garbage in garbage time, I still think D Mo is the guy. He is the PERFECT fit for the other 4 starters. Can spread the floor, run the floor EXCEPTIONALLY well, can pick and roll, pick and pop, and when the offense stalls just throw it to him in the post and let him go to work. His post moves are his biggest strengths. Defensively he is still weak, but this can be mitigated based on certain matchups (for example when we are playing the spurs and matt bonner is at the 4, or anderson at the 4 vs NO, he would be PERFECT). He actually has good hands, gets a lot of steals and deflections, so he isnt a total disaster on D.

I dont think Morey should make a splash with his cap room this summer. Our guys we have are perfect. Use that money to resign them when their contracts are up

19. hahachui

hahachui Member

[PG]
    Need: good spot up shooter, great defender, low turnover guy
    Have: terrible spot up, so so defense, high turnover

we got our man in TD..

20. lola eskuala

lola eskuala Member

Wow, well said! Now, here's a post a thread can build around;)

1 person likes this.