1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Building a team around Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by valorita, Jan 5, 2013.

1. iconoclastism

iconoclastism Member

Below is so full of sheet that it is not even funny.

2. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

The triangle offense is made with 3 PF type shooters, a forward and a center. So any one of them could take a shot at anytime depending whose in the triangle. So it's like I said, what OP is saying is he wants a PG who is playing the role of a PF and SG.

3. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

Please do not quote him. Thanks

4. my2cents

my2cents Member

Originally Posted by durvasa

Morey on Jeremy Lin (paraphrasing):

quote:

Health-wise he's getting near 100% although schedule has been intense. Jeremy has an overall "winning play" game. He can make passes that leads to very good buckets, he can attack the basket and that's probably his highest level skill relative to the rest of the league. Defensively, he's very disruptive. He reminds me a lot of Kyle (Lowry) on his disruptiveness overall. He freelances sometimes which can drive folks crazy occasionally, but a lot of those freelances result in rebounds, blocks, steals, things that really impact winning over the course of a game. Even if he can't contain off the dribble sometimes against some these elite guys like the Westbrooks of the world and other elite PGs, he stays in the play and makes sure even though they might beat him on the first step he'll make it uncomfortable for them thoughout as he chases them and pokes and harrasses at the ball. He just does a lot of good things throughout to help the team win the game.

5. iconoclastism

iconoclastism Member

Exactly. Morey did say that he wants a backcourt that attacks the paint and a high pace game. Lin fits Morey's mold. Lin was one of the first of the puzzle with the intention of getting stars to fit the puzzle when opportunity presents itself. Asik fits because of his rebounding capability creating fast break opportunities and if his offense improves, that's gravy.

6. raskol

raskol Contributing Member

Pushing pace, which is what we're banking on our season on, is done by outlet passing, excellent court vision, and speed. Even with Harden, Lin would be vital to the Rocket's success with or without another star.

And the guys you mentioned always had another playmaker at least as good as them. Pippen, Pau, Shaq, etc.

7. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

aaaaa

8. solid

solid Contributing Member

Don't get Morey shuffling players again, give it time. I would like to wait and see how the current roster shakes out. However, if a superstar addition becomes available, you go for it. I think Lin will get better and better. Asik is solid, a keeper. Parsons is Mr. Intangibles, keep him. Harden is here for the long term. The rest are replaceables depending on how they develop. Some may become keepers.

9. dchoye

dchoye Member

The Rox are on a roll and I wouldnt mess with the chemistry at this time.
    Harden's having a great season.
    Once it gets to playoff time then I like reevaluate who's can play when it's clutch.
    I dont think we have a strong inside presence other than Asik and that's where I like to see improvement first.

10. YaosDirtyStache

I hate your posts. Felton is CRAP.

Lin has that certain something, a Parker-esq skill set.

Felton is old and fat.

11. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Pau and Shaq are "playmakers" now? Interesting ... :grin:

12. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Actually, I don't hate Lin. I don't think he's a good basketball player but I think he's a good person. There's nothing for me to hate about him. I just think his fan base are idiots. That's completely seperate from my feelings on Lin.

Pointing to the All-Star vote shows just how little you know about basketball. Your red bar speaks volumes about you as a poster.

13. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Awww. Hurt feelings on the internet. Not my fault Lin can't hit a jumper

14. valorita

valorita Member

What would Lin's trade value be right now?

15. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I think he means he has my2cents on his ignore list now? So he doesn't want to see his posts which he will if you quote him.

16. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL ok goodluck starting a thread saying we should replace Lin for Conley JR, a guy who makes 1M more than Lin but has like 80% of the talent.

Secondly, what do these three teams have in common:
    1. Cavs with Lebron
    2. NO with CP3
    3. Orlando with Dwight Howard

I'll tell you what, they all tried to build around their stars and it failed miserably. Building around X player is such a stupid notion because what happens is you construct a team that can only function when your star is doing all the work. Cleveland surrounded LBJ with shooters and defensive guys, as a result the team can't create a shot without him on the court. Orlando surrounded Dwight with shooters, and they couldn't rebound or play D when he's not around.

On the other hand, look at successful teams. Are Manu and Tony Parker built around Tim Duncan? Of course not, TD likes half court sets while Manu likes space to drive inside, and Parker at his best leading the break. How about Miami? Weren't people saying there isn't enough balls on the court for both of them?

The fact is, you get talent and then build a SYSTEM that can make them co-exist, instead of looking for players that fit a given archetype. This is because in the playoffs, your star will get shut down, and if your team is wholly dependent on just guy to make it all work, then your entire will collapse, like what happened to the Bulls when LBJ locked Rose up.

So really all Morey needs to do is keep getting better players period. Mchale and the rest of the coaching staff will find some way to make it all work.

4 people like this.
  17. sew

sew Member

Best to just ignore the LOF's. No point in trying to rile them up.

18. Metropolis777

Metropolis777 Member

19. Akim523

Akim523 Member

One of your best posts of all time. Wish I could rep you 1000' times.

20. Pokito1120

Pokito1120 Member

The Rockets are a good team...but if they want to be considered contenders we need 2 things to happen. #1 Find a 4 that has at least an average back to the basket game, can defend/rebound, and can play above the rim.(Derrick Favors) #2 Have someone solidify themselves as the second option on the team. I rather have it be Parsons than Lin just the on fact that he is my point guard I want Lin controling the pace of the game. If these two things can happen the Rockets will be problem in this league for a while.