1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Building a team around Harden

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by valorita, Jan 5, 2013.

1. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

It's simple really. Lin needs to work on that damn jumper so he doesn't have to feel he has to go inside everywhere even when it's packed as hell in there, resulting in more turnovers.

2. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

everytime*

3. Jedster

Jedster Member

Must...avoid...being...snarky...on...bait...thread....ugggghhhh (dragging myself away)

4. Luca

Luca Member

Lmao. Lin will perform well in NY. Felton is a solid PG and who can shoot the 3 well.

5. Jedster

Jedster Member

Sorry to my2cents...my response wasn't for you. It was for the OP.

6. finsraider

finsraider Member

Get a 2nd star.....that is the best way to build the Rockets for the future. Until that happens, no significant contracts to roll players....that's how teams mess up.

The only guy that makes sense to me is Love. Young, 3 point range, and rebounding.

7. Luca

Luca Member

I hope he can improve his jumpers and start hitting these 3 soon.

8. rockets0_12_7_1

Jeremy Lin just needs to develop his shot , like Kyle Lowry, and Jeremy's defense is actually improving in these past few games.

9. HOU_ROCKETS1

HOU_ROCKETS1 Member

first we need a good pg not a turnover machine or a rondo type of shooter

10. valorita

valorita Member

I wonder if Coangelo would do Lin for Lowry

11. King1

King1 Contributing Member

New York wouldn't want him back. Carmelo is playing the best basketball of his career and so is JR Smith. They are contenders in the East. Not surprisingly, those are the two players who didn't want Lin back according to reports. Worked out quite well for NY not signing him. Now we're stuck with a pg who can't shoot and his legion of delusional fans ruining the GARM

12. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

I think upgrading the PF position is by far the most important step. Even if you don't think Lin can develop his game to perform at the level of his contract or more.....which I think he will....I'd rather upgrade our offensive weaponry in the front court to balance out the rotation. Having two star players in the back court seems over redundant and not the best utililization of players abilities.

13. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

A PF with 3-point range is more important than a bruising, pick and pop 4.

Personally, I think Ryan Anderson would be nice. He should be a starter, but I guess that's not happening in New Orleans with Anthony Davis.

14. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

So what you are saying is you want a PG who is taking the role of a SF and SG together so that Harden as the SG can be the PG.

Because your PG description is not a PG. If you get Lowry on this team, he would be PG and most likely would refuse to be a spot up shooter and go all emo on the coach again.

15. my2cents

my2cents Member

Dear King1.

I knew you hate Lin but I didn't care...

At this point team, Lin have a bright spot than the most of NBA players. Look the the ALL-STAR vote and our team visibility at NBA, I also knew any team love to have him and Lin can be good at anywhere. ...

So whatever you do I don't see anything worth value here.

16. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

I would love Ryan Anderson for this team as well. My personal picks at PF..

Love
    Cousins
    LMA
    Anderson

17. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I think he's looking for a Phil Jackson "triangle offense" type PG. Jordan never had a pure PG next to him. Same with Kobe, before this season.

18. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I like the idea of this thread. My take is a bit more simple. This team needs to add a legit starter with athleticism at PF and add a wing defender who can hit the three off the bench. Of course, this assumes another major piece isn't added first.

19. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Again, the core of..

PG- Lin
    SG- Harden
    SF- Parsons
    PF-
    C- Asik

I am happy with. Just fill in the blank. I'd prefer to wait for free agency so we won't have to sacrifice any of these players around Harden.

20. yiggie

yiggie New Member

New member here :)
    Have been watching the Rockets for some time. I know I am new here so it might feel as if I am not entitled to offer my input. So before I say anything, just wanted to clarify that my aim is just to be engaged in healthy discussions :)

I think this team has exceeded expectations coming into the season as the youngest team and because of this , we immediately want to make things better by getting Better players that we currently have. As fans, we want immediate results and that is totally fine but we need to to give them a chance to grow.

The great thing about getting players like Lin and Asik is that they are not finished products. If you want someone who is a seasoned player , it would be hard for them to shake off old habits and there is also the issue with egos. The lakers are an example (for now..not sure about the future) . In Miami, if Wade didnt sacrifice his game, I highly doubt that he and Lebron would have co-existed. I do not know how Asik or Lin would turn out but they seem hard workers to me. I am not going to say" we will wait till this season ends" because frankly, you cant improve vastly during the season. The next season would be a better indication in my humble opinion.

The issue with Lin is that he is expected to compliment Harden by being spot up shooter which he clearly is not. Lin's weaknesses is being displayed and it is easy for us to say that he sucks .If Lin has the ball all the time, and he puts up numbers like in ny , then his weakness are dimmed because the system plays to his strengths. If you were to ask Rondo to become a spot up shooter , people will probably say he sucks too. I believe that is a reason why Lin passes the ball in Asik despite him not being able to catch. That is to build confidence . if Mchale had keep putting Lin out in the 4th quarter like he did early in the season, then Lin will never have the confidence . Certain things need to played out during the game itself because it is very different from practicing. Lin seems to be someone who is willing to defer and that is good for this team. When he does it too much, it does hurt the team but when you have a guy who is WILLING.. I think that is a positive sign. I know it is only 1 game, but in the spurs game Lin has showed that he can step up when needed. What Lin needs to do is to make his weaknesses become his strengths. Lin's defense in my opinion has been rather good. I do not think Lin is at a level where he can play stellar defense AND be good offensively at the same time.

It would seem like there are alot of excuses for Lin but I am willing to see what happens next season and the same goes for ALL of the players.

Lin's problem is inconsistency. Is it his knee? Is it that he cant hold up back to back games? I dont know. What I do know is that this team has hardworking players who are unselfish and that is something good moving forward. The PFs position is still a question mark and I think they all bring something valuable to the table. Till next season, I cannot say who they should keep. Asik is an example of how one can change drastically during the offseason and I look forward to seeing what the young guys can bring to the team! :)

1 person likes this.