1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Building a gaming PC, I need help.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by lue03, Jul 9, 2013.

1. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

@Zboy which screw holds down the m.2 ssd on the mobo? i'm not seeing any of em that might fit

2. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Looks for screws on your MB. They might either be on them or in the accessories included, or look into accessories included with your case. I forget where I located mine.

3. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

So I got some of the stuff installed. But eventually I had to run to a friends house with help. I’m stuck figuring out how I’m gonna get this cd drive to work so I can install windows. Hopefully he can run over tomorrow to do that.

I attempted a build but I won’t ever go this route again. Pre built from here on out. Not worth the time/stress IMO

4. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Dont need CD Drives anymore. I have not even bothered with a CD drive for last two builds. More use for Bluray disk drive for movies etc.

Very fast and easy install to Windows 10 using a USB Flash drive instead.

I was able to get it up and running in a few minutes with a m.2 NVMe SSD.

If you are using a CD Drive, you just need to get it connected to one of the SATA slots on the MB. Just make sure it is not connected to the one that might be disabled. When you install a m.2 SSD, it deactivates certain SATA slots. The MB booklet will tell you which one to use.

Then on your first bootup, you might need to go into BIOS, and change bootup device to CD Drive so that it installs windows from there. Once you have windows installed your boot up device to SSD.

Building a PC is not hard because everything is essentially plug and play but you do need to walk through your build before starting it. Just make sure you have everything planned out.

The real reward comes at the end when you have a system which is not preloaded with all the junk that slows the system down. You have a clean system that you install what you want to on it.

#84 Zboy, Aug 19, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  5. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

You can download Windows 10 on the official Microsoft page (best do it on a usb drive) and then enter your windows key during the setup process.

6. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

Pretty sure you can buy rigs with parts you choose to want installed...so can buy them without bloatware...

Other than that the whole “it’s easy to build” is overblown. It seems simple enough but nah.

Couple of things from my first experience:

First it took a lot of time...like unreasonable amount of time from start to finish and that was with the help of a friend.

I was able to install most the hardware..I was really worried about that noctura CPU cooler. Thing is massive. Thought I’d break the mobo in half trying to screw it down.

The other thing that worried me going in were the front panel connectors. Even after staring at my mobo Manuel for 30 min I still had no idea what went where. That’s when I called my friend for help

I’m 95% sure I would have bent pins trying to install those..I have big hands/fat fingers and it was difficult trying to install when I tried putting a few in myself. Hence I said it’s not worth the risk of bending these pins and having this build go kaput.

Another really annoying thing was apparently my mobo didn’t come with any m.2 screws. Says it should have had 3...I didn’t find 1. I was posting pics of all the screws I had on /pcbuild and people were like nope none of those are m.2. Ended up making due with another screw.
    I mean am I gonna RMA the board for m.2 screws? Not worth it. So that was a hassle

The fractal case is really nice. On top of the modular psu cable management was nothing.

But yeah...I spent wayyy too much time building the thing for it to be worth it.

7. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

just realized my pc isnt recognizing my 1 TB SSD just the m.2 . its not even showing up in the disk management. any ideas?

8. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I know it was 2 hours ago but ...
    Check the cables again ... might not be seated all the way
    Swap out the cable if that doesn't work

9. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

yeah i had to change the slot it was in. apparently some sata turn off automatically when it detects an m.2 drive so just plugging into another sata slot and presto was good. thanks

10. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

@Zboy another quick question...the LG monitor i went with you suggested...the remote for it when i turn on the monitor turns on my vizio tv for some reason as well...any idea how to stop that or no?

11. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I mentioned this a few posts ago and warned you about it lol.

"If you are using a CD Drive, you just need to get it connected to one of the SATA slots on the MB. Just make sure it is not connected to the one that might be disabled. When you install a m.2 SSD, it deactivates certain SATA slots. The MB booklet will tell you which one to use."

You can try moving your Vizio to another room or you can try to weaken and narrow the IR signal of the LG monitor remote.

To weaken the signal you can use electrical tape on most of the front of the remote to narrow down the IR beam and point the remote directly to the monitor.

#91 Zboy, Aug 19, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2018