1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Budinger or Taylor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RedRedemption, Jan 30, 2010.

?

Which player would best help the Rockets if given minutes.

1. Chase Budinger

69.0%
  2. Jermaine Taylor

12.2%
  3. Neither. Bench both of them.

1.9%
  4. Both, share minutes between them, have them on-court at the same time.

16.9%
  1. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Basically put. If we had Taylor instead of Budinger in the active line-up. Would we win more games?

Pros and cons of each player:

Chase Budinger:
    Pros:
    - Good 3pt shooter.
    - Nice mid-range 15 foot jumpers.
    - Likes to run off screens.
    - Somewhat highly athletic for a white guy. :p
    - Pretty decent defensive rebounder.
    - Ball-handling is adequate.
    - Not a ball-stopper, knows how to run plays.

Cons:
    - Sometimes goes on long cold spells when shooting.
    - Slow lateral movement.
    - Pretty bad defensive awareness (stares at ball too much, doesn't check man)
    - Doesn't box out well.
    - Occasionally panics and throws the ball away.
    - Not strong enough to play post D against stronger two-guards.

Jermaine Taylor:
    Pros:
    - Quick, athletic, fast.
    - Excellent body control, can twist and turn for some acrobatic lay-ups.
    - Excellent slasher.
    - Has a decent mid-range jumper.

Cons:
    - Bad fundamental defense.
    - Not too good of a three-point shooter.
    - At times can be reckless a la Von Wafer.
    - Not very experienced in the NBA at all. Almost never gets minutes.

Now, that being said. (I already know Jermaine got shipped down to the D-League for now.)

Who's better? Who has a higher ceiling? Who's better at the moment?

2. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

We need someone to attack the basket and I like JT for that.

3. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

First I want to address this. Chase is not a bad defensive player. He is rarely out of position. That is one of the big reasons he gets minutes and Taylor does not. You say he stares at the ball too much but that is because he is not a gambler on defense. I see Chase trying to emulate Battier on defense and I think his ceiling is actually very high on defense.

Second, I don't think there is a real comparison between Taylor's BBIQ and Chase's BBIQ. Chase is just very superior in this area. He seems to almost always know where to go on the floor and how to move with out the ball. He seems to know when to cut to the back door or curl to the middle or spot up at the arc. Taylor still looks lost on both ends of the court.

Aggressiveness is where I think Taylor has a real chance to advance past Chase. If Taylor ever gets confident I think he may have the personality to take over games where as I don't think Chase has that in his psychological make up.

I give Chase the advantage in athleticism over Taylor. Chase runs the break with purpose but I think Taylor should excel here as well. Chase has a better outside shot and likes to attack the basket a couple of times a game. Taylor appears to have little choice but to attack the basket because his outside shot is not that great. While Taylor does not appear to have as good a vertical as Chase I think he has more strength to finish in traffic.

Overall I think Chase has the higher Ceiling because I think his defense will be very very good and his offense is extremely well rounded. I think JT has a higher Ceiling as a scorer but nothing else since he has not shown the ability or willingness to play defense and has shown zero playmaking skills.

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Chase more likely than Taylor. C-Bud hasn't taken advantage of it yet. He needs to cut to the basketball without the ball, and take his man off the dribble when he is a favorable position. Getting to the line and making FT's,will make it easier for him to shoot the jumper. Defense is obviously key as well,to getting more minutes.

5. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

Chase has a bigger body and actually has shown a decent amount of rebounding skills, along with his willingness to learn, has made him the favorite of the two.

However, I see a time in the future (unfortunately at the cost of Battier) that both of these guys will get decent minutes either coming off the bench or starting. Taylor has a lot of potential to be a solid SG and Chase a SF, much like Landry and Brooks, once they start to show some consistency in their games, they will get more minutes and have the potential to play someone out of a starting position, if they are that good.

6. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

They'd both help out more than Tmac.

7. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

I'd really like to see Chase take his man of the dribble so see if he is an effective penetrator with the ball in his hands. JT has the higher ceiling of course if he ever "gets it" but in all likelihood, Chase will be the better overall player. It's like saying Stromile Swift has a higher ceiling than Scola. He does because the talent is there, but the mental part is lacking still for JT, and has been lacking all throughout Stro's career.

8. Voice of Reason

I think your assessment is accurate. Chase is a better defensive player than most people think. During one on one situations he makes it hard for anyone to shoot over him. He causes a lot of missed shots. The one thing he really needs to work on is team defense. He tends to be out of position at times and he is not a good pick and roll defender. However, he is way ahead of Taylor defensively.

9. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Well Chase has be given mins. JT hasnt really sniffed the court and everyone was talking about how he is the real deal. Honestly none of them can help the Rockets with the way the roster is shaped up.

Guys are freaking out and all but they should have expected a not so good season. #1 we all knew McGrady had micro-fracture surgery so we knew that was going to take possibly a season for him to recover. #2 Yao is out for the season because of that damn toe. #3 Mutombo's injury in the playoffs made it obvious that he was going to call it a career.

Rockets really never found a 3rd go 2 guy after McGrady and Yao. Artest was thought to be that guy but never really showed it. McGrady and Artest game was some what similar and that right there was proven to not work.

If all three of those guys couldn't help the Rockets what makes it sure if CBud and JT can help the rockets. JT is in the DLeague and CBud is doing oooook. Overrated on here but ook.

10. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Thats not what is game is all about. You can't have someone do something they are not good at. Look at Ariza for example. We are asking him to be the go to guy. We are giving him the green light and he really is horrible at it.

Why are they giving him the Green light I'm not sure. If this is a so called experimental season then why send JT down. Experiment with him instead of signing another guy quick. Usually when a 3rd point guard is signed its likely to be a veteran to groom the other 2 young guys. Noooo its another young pg who is much younger than Brooks and Lowrey.

11. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

Now? Still Budinger.

In the future? Taylor, I have a good feeling about him.

12. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

thought it was only me ...

13. abc2007

abc2007 Member

Since we haven't seen Taylor much, it's hard to tell.

So far, CBud seems to be a 15 minutes rotation player.

14. herro

herro Member

I think they're both good players.

15. mgraye2969

mgraye2969 Member

agreed they need to start given JT some minutes and take some away from Battier

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Budinger plays well moving off the ball. He knows how to catch and shoot coming off screens, he runs the floor great, makes hard cuts.

I haven't seen Taylor much, but he looks like a guy who might be more effective in ISO situations. Creating a good shot for himself off the dribble. More comparable to Von Wafer.

17. WillG

WillG Member

No they wouldnt. :rolleyes:

18. OldSchool34

OldSchool34 Member

They would give more effort and play better defensively, so I would say. That's more than half the battle right there.

19. rocketblaze

rocketblaze Member

Hmm.... Taylor is the better athlete I'll give the OP that, but Budinger has better fundamentals, Better shooter, not to mention Budinger(21) is 2 years younger than Taylor(23), and taller as well... 6'7 vs 6'5

with that said I like Taylor's athleticism, and length to play the 2 guard spot but if I had to pick b/t both I would go with Bud.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2gHHbouQIeA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2gHHbouQIeA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

20. brian_chapman

brian_chapman Member

why does everyone think Budinger is a great 3 pt shooter? .344 is average possibly considered poor

is it because he reminds so many of you of Bird because of his looks?