1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bud Norris

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Beard, Jul 10, 2013.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Wasn't sure what thread this would go best in, so decided I would put it by itself, since I really don't understand it . . .from CBS Sportsline

Bud Norris | SP
    Bud Norris will not start Sunday
    by R.J. White | CBSSports.com
    (10:00 pm ET) Astros manager Bo Porter said Tuesday that pitcher Bud Norris will not make his scheduled start Sunday to keep him fresh in case he is selected as an injury replacement for the All-Star game, MLB.com reports. The team will use someone in the bullpen as a starter or call up a player from the minors to make the start.

Soooo, are we really more worried about Norris being "fresh" for a possible All-Star appearance than a real game?

Are we playing it extra safe with him so he doesn't get injured before a possible trade?

Is there a trade already in the works about to go down?

Is this just totally insane?

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I think it is ridiculous to not start him based on the notion he MAY be selected for the All Star game. It is more important to have your best pitcher start a regular season game then to hold him out for a possible all star selection and a possible all star appearance.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not on this team it isn't.

They are fully committed to getting the #1 pick in 2014... more so than they were the last two years.

4. bobrek

Not really talking about him not pitching, more so the ridiculous reasoning. If they simply said, "we don't want to overwork Bud and want to give him lots of rest before the second half", that would be more plausible.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Hell, if you asked Norris, he'd probably want to pitch in the ASG vs pitch right now for this team.

They won't pitch guys in the ASG that pitch on Sunday... I know its a crappy reason to announce why a guy wouldn't start, but they're in full-on tank mode now.

If not pitching Sunday helps him become an all-star, thereby helping his trade value, then so be it.

6. bobrek

I suspect Norris wants to get back out there and put his poor start from yesterday behind him. As it is, he will have over a week to stew about it. In addition, I find it hard to believe Norris would be better than 3rd or 4th in line.

7. The Beard

Yea I have no idea what the reasoning is, but to come out and say we want him ready for ASG instead of our own game....damn that just makes me mad as a life long fan

8. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

He also has a bum ankle and the extra rest couldn't hurt

9. The Beard

Fine, but that wasn't mentioned at all.

With Cosart coming up, I'm thinking we have seen our last start for Bud as an Astro

10. cardpire

cardpire Member

haha...that's the most idiotic thing i've read in a while, BUT....

if porter knows bud is done as an astro, and there's a chance he could make the allstar team, there's really no other reasoning he can give.

if he says he's injured, why would he be able to pitch the allstar game?

11. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Less chances to screw up his ERA before the trade deadline imo. Doubt this is coming from Porter.

#11 The Real Shady, Jul 10, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  12. Major

Major Member

Are there really no better pitchers available in the AL than Bud Norris for an all-star sub?

13. Buck Turgidson

The League Office has a list of potentials, Bud's on that list. Makes sense that they let the Stros know that he is a possibe/likely replacement. And in MLB's mind, yes, considering the situation the Stros are in, the All Star Game is infinitely more important than any regular season game.

Welcome to Bud Selig Baseball, if you needed any reminders.

1 person likes this.