1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bud Norris trade value

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by FishBulb913, May 8, 2013.

1. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

How high is it right now? And is it best to wait to until the deadline or make it happen now?

2. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

trade value is linked to other needs. Gotta wait until at least a couple of weeks off the deadline, if not all the way in

3. Buck Turgidson

Someone does, however, need to start games and pitch innings.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I hope they don't trade him just to trade him. I suspect they will look for some proven young players (i.e. guys who can step right up and perform qat the ML level) as well as youngsters.

5. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

This.

Also, there needs to be a core nucleus of young players who will be here when the prospects become major league ready. The time to stop trading everything that isn't bolted down has arrived.

Of course, keep in mind that there aren't any large salaries left on the roster, so there is not the salary dump motivation there for further trades.

6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Could be just GM speak to raise his value, but I'm not sure if they will trade Norris. Lots of our bigger name prospects will start showing up at the end of the season and I think we'll want him around to start next season.

http://brianmctaggart.mlblogs.com/2013/04/22/luhnow-considers-norris-crucual-to-future/

#6 The Real Shady, May 9, 2013
    Last edited: May 9, 2013
  7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I believe that to be true. Unless someone offers a major haul for him that includes major-league ready players, I'd bet that Norris and Harrell finish the season as Astros. Pena and likely Maxwell are the only 2 I could see being moved by the deadline in deals that would bring back lower level prospects. You could throw Veras in there, too, should he pitch better between now and the end of July.

8. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I think a lot depends on the situation. If the deadline approaches and he is throwing well, and a contender really needs pitching, an they offer top quality prospects I would guess we move him. As mentioned earlier though, no need for salary dump anymore so if he is moved it would have to be because they think the return helps us in the future more than he could

9. awc713

awc713 Member

he's gotta be a pretty attractive trade piece, not only because of how e's been pitching, but because we only owe him 3 (!!!!!!!!) mil this season.

thats a VERY low price, esp. considering that functional SPs routinely get around 10 mil a year on the open market.

i could see a small market team making a move for him, maybe the rockies, pirates, or a team of that nature.

10. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

The problem with Norris' trade value is his drastic home/road splits. Would this lower his value a bit? There's a reason why they had the rotation how they had it, the way It was gave Norris the most home games for the first half (if everything goes right)

11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Would probably be more of a concern if MMP was a pitchers park. I don't think that is why they set up the rotation like they did. Harrell had similar disparity last year.