1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Bucher] What's keeping Howard from being the next great Rockets big man?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RV6, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Penetrate&Creat

His poor post game and refusal to utilize the pick, which he is very good at

2. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Pick and roll works better if that big man can knock down a jumper. Yes he is shooting 70% going to the hole but in reality, how many times will he be able to roll to the basket for a layup or a dunk. I've seen them try to run in it and it wasn't there. But if Howard could hit a mid range jumper, the P&R would be deadly.

3. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Hibbert was hitting mid-range shots throughout that series as well. That is one of the reason why his numbers jumped.

4. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Also pretty sure they made lots of promises to him back in July about what wonders unfettered access to McHale and Dream could/would do for his post game. The fact that we keep sticking with something that isn't working all that well makes me think they're just humoring him to avoid going back on the promises that got him to come here.

5. smr6

smr6 Member

I'm surprised that Bucher knows that Dwight is in fact not on the Nets.

6. Chris Jent MVP

He needs to practice against starting NBA defenders. The team will need to sacrifice a bit for Howard to find his rythm, as well as Howard sacrificing a bit for the sake of the team. It works both ways, that's teamwork.

7. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

D12 post ups don't work because he goes to slow and methodical. He gives the D time to set their rotations. As Dream said, he must attack, not let them attack... Force the issue, always on the move...

8. Chris Jent MVP

Also because it's a high upside gamble.

IF Howard can somehow become dominant in the post, this team will be unbeatable. If not, then they will still be a great team because Howard has many talents that this team needs.

9. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I'm tired of the fake right and go left and shoot left handed and the go left spin back right off the glass. How in the double hockey stick, do you only have 2 post up moves after D near 10 years. Really!!!

He can only post up if he does different moves on the block instead of getting pushed out 10 feet from the block. As Charles says, let them get where they want and then up take a position in front or behind them.

10. bongman

bongman Member

I feel that his ineffectiveness is magnified when we don't hit him with a pass at the right time and right angle. There has been plenty of times where he has his man pinned deep inside the paint but the passer is too hesitant and by the time he gets the ball, he is already out of the paint and has to resort to the moves that we mostly see.

Even the announcers keep mentioning that post passing is a lost art. Post play is not as simple as dumping the ball to the big man. There's a lot of timing involved.

11. coffeelover665

Guys we're doing this for the long run. See the big picture. We're making the playoff no matter what, it's no longer a race anymore.

Right now we're focused on developing the big man. If he get better at post up even slightly, we come out on top.

Think about it like this:

Would you rather be in 4th place and have only the pnr going into the playoff playing the top teams.

or would you rather be in 5th place and have a slightly more developed post up game, and pnr?

12. trock

trock Member

I'm all for feeding him and letting him try to improve over the course of this season because it's going to be that much more important he's effective in the post in postseason. I'm skeptical based on how he looks right now and his troubles shooting FTs, but it's not like we're in a huge rush. Dwight's right in theory that an effective post scorer makes the Rockets a very dangerous team.

13. thebeardedwon

thebeardedwon Member

Bucher is annoyinng. I don't think he's that smart, and he tries to act like he's a pretty boy. Definitely my least favorite basketball journalist.

14. scottie brooks

One of the problems with Howards post ups, and I heard this from a SVG interview, is that his team mates do not get him the ball deep enough in the paint. He is usually outside of the paint when he gets the ball and has to dribble his way inside to make a move. Nearly every time this is the case he gets the ball stripped from him. The few times I have seen him get good position deep close to the basket he dominates.

Just mine and SVG's 2 cents.

1 person likes this.
  15. thebeardedwon

thebeardedwon Member

That's a flawed argument because its based on the assumption that those are the only two possible results. What if i said would you rather be 1st place and mainly use pnr going into playoffs or would you rather be 6th place and have a slightly more developed post game (and weaker pnr game)

Obviously both those options are unlikely but the point is that there are a variety of different effects that using pnr predominantly or post up predominantly can have.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Keep feeding him the ball until...

1. He gets better at post-ups

OR

2. He realizes that it just doesn't work and gives up

There is no 3rd option here. We wanted Dwight, we knew what we'd have to bend to make him want to come here, and so now we have to suck-it-up.

17. trock

trock Member

I'd like to see him get deeper position and go quicker looking for contact.

18. scottie brooks

You literally repeated what he said and changed 4th to 1st and 5th to 6th?

19. chff1

chff1 Member

Championship(s), everything else doesn't matter that much.

20. Play07

Play07 Member

Thought we were force feeding Dwight a little too much, now were going to be more selective - Sampson interview today

Don't know why yall are going back & forth about this with all the opinions, go on rockets.com look at sampsons interview after practice today, he speaks on this if you wanna have some insight on how the coaches view this not people on CF

Him and hardens interview had a lot of information today, harden spoke about ball movement and defense, how they've been watching film on defense things that needs to be fixed