1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bucher: Give Rockets Some Time

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JeffB, Feb 19, 2003.

1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

2. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I think a lot of our personal anger over the Rockets is about being so close to it and, frankly, loving the team. When you are emotionally attached to the outcome of the Rockets games, of course you are going to see things differently. But, rarely is a purely emotional response to a given situation an appropriate one.

I was so pissed last night I could hardly see straight. I've felt this way for a while.

However, when guys who are paid to be imparital including local journalists (not columnists, they are paid to be SUBJECTIVE, not objective), national journalists and basketball "experts" all seem to be of the opinion that the Rockets are fairly typical of a young up and down team, that opinion deserves respect.

I'm not saying I agree 100%. I'd say I agree about 70%. There are moments when I cannot simply excuse behavior based on youth but I also understand the reality of playing in the NBA.

What makes this season so frustrating is the rollercoaster level of play. Looking like absolute world beaters one minute and a division IIA college team the next is beyond aggravating. That seems to even further fuel the animosity among fans.

In reality, it is very likely that we will have a very similar team and coaching staff next season. It is also a distinct possiblity that the team will steadily improve as they grow more experienced and more comfortable with one another. Frustration comes with being a fan but that doesn't usually equate to good decision making.

3. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Fabulous article.

4. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thanks for that heads up. The article has been changed quite a bit since I first came across the piece and started this thread.

5. rocketfat

rocketfat Member

let me clear things up:

to this, i apologize: "please don't argue with me on this, just respond saying, "Rocketfat, you are right, I am wrong, and I am dumb. Point taken."

that was most definitely juvenille, and, as Jeff seems to understand, was made out of sheer frustration in the infuriated state of mind that only our rockets can put me in. it was simply venting my post-game frustration, and i'm sorry. (i tend to do that...we need to start a Rockets Anger Management Group I think)

anyway, the point of my post, i stand by. it is indeed frustrating to see somebody, who doesn't posess 1 millionth of the insight that us fans have, be able to influence the minds of millions of readers who assume what he is saying is accurate, just because he is a "reliable" source.

do you honestly think he's seen them play enough and studied them enough to provide his opinion with such conviction?

and, yes, i know it's his job, but it infuriates me that he can get away with doing that so easily.

to be a die-hard who sweats blood supporting the Rockets, and having the complete opposite feelings to the topic that this guy who has probably watched 3 or 4 games this season so casually addressed to millions of readers, frustrates the hell out of me.

6. Possum

Possum Member

A-Train should be your first member!:D