1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[bspn article] was Oswalt the greatest astros pitcher?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

When you account for eras, yes, I do believe Oswalt was the best we've had and one of the most underrated players in franchise history. I hope he and Berkman get their numbers retired here; we had better do it if we are gonna have the likes of Jimmy Wynn and Larry Dierker on there.

2. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Not to mention further, Ryan's entire Astro tenure was inside the Dome; Oswalt's was inside MMP - significant difference, especially early in his career.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Why was MMP worse earlier in Roy's career?

They raised the LCF HR line in 2001.

Also, if anything, Roy showed the rest of the world how you should pitch at MMP (with assistance from Ausmus).

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Jimmy Wynn absolutely deserved it. One of the most underrated players in the history of baseball (mostly because average was overrated and walks underrated).

I'm actually surprised they haven't scheduled for their jersey retirements yet. They both are deserving as any other Astro not named Bagwell or Biggio.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Because somebody in the front office realized the Astros shouldn't have the most retired numbers in baseball for any team not named the Yankees, Cardinals or Dodgers.

They should totally have a ring of honor or Astros HOF or something. Hell, a pseudo monument park where tal's hill used to be (see what I did there?)

6. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Ryan, Richard, and Scott were before my time, but Roy was the best Astro pitcher I've seen.

Clemens, Pettite, and Big Unit (<--obviously) didn't play here long enough.

Wagner might be #2... he was better longer than Shaner and Hampton.

7. juicystream

That is fair, but we shouldn't refuse to honor the deserving because of the mistakes. I think the Yankees would have retired Berkman & Oswalt. They are on par with Don Mattingly. And FWIW, Maris being retired is similar to us having Ryan retired.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Sure.

The Astros still are a younger franchise, and sometimes younger franchises create quicker attachments to players that may not necessarily be the greatest of the greats (because without a long history, its easier to be an all-time franchise great). Its also a franchise without a World Series championship, which sometimes leaves a void in what you can "honor", thus the increased push to retire jerseys.

There's also the issue that some teams tend to honor the "best players of a certain era" with jersey retirements... but if you fast-forward 50 years, they may not hold up as one of the greatest players in franchise history (and you can't unretire their number at that point).

The simplest thing is to have a ring of honor or HOF.... definitely Roy and Lance should be commemorated.... but save the actual # retirement for the best of the best.

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I will concede, Bagwell and Biggio being our only retired jerseys is intriguing. If I really gave it considerable thought... I think it'd be hard to knock Dierker off, given his success and organizational longevity. Same for Cruz. And I love that Wynn is up there because it helps shine a light on a criminally underrated career.

Having said that, I think Berkman and Oswalt are both better candidates than all 3 non-Bags/Bidge.

10. juicystream

Other than Cesar Cedeno having killed his GF, I'm not sure why his number isn't retired.

11. Buck Turgidson

So you're sure, then. ;)