1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bryce Petty?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Teen Wolf, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Bob Barker 007

I still think Mariota and Hundley are better than last year's QB class. Who knows, maybe the Texans already have a person in mind.

2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Yup. Brian Hoyer will be a free agent.

3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

We already drafted a project QB this year. If there's a top rated QB on the board, one who you can really expect to come in and play fairly soon, then that's great. But you can't be drafting long shots every year.

4. Wattafan

Wattafan Member

BP has dropped slightly from pre-season projections. I like him too, but am wary of some slight injury issues.
    There are two others I now have my eye on - Connor Cook and Garrett Grayson.
    Both have been moving up Walterfootball's projections strongly.
    Cook is 6'5"and WF has him as his #3 right now.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I was never very high on Mariota. I just don't see it. He resembles Masoli and Dixon more than he does any NFL starting QB. I feel he is still a superior prospect compared to how I felt about Ponder/Locker/Gabbert, so I guess that's just how the NFL goes. QB's get rewarded with a built-in boost. Like Vegas giving the home team 3 points.

I still think Mariota is worth a 1st round pick (more so than Manziel) but I think he's a gamble.

I felt better about Bridgewater his junior year than I ever have about Mariota.

6. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

That couldn't be further from the truth.

You need to watch him more. He has been going through reads and has a cannon.

He is Kap with touch.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He does have an arm but he's always stepping backwards instead of up and in the pocket, he doesn't have to make NFL passes in tight windows (not his fault), and making reads in that type of offense at that level doesn't do much for me, I've seen Sonny Cumby do that effectively.

8. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Petty has the size, football IQ and work ethic to a be a good pro. A huge arm but he has been off in a couple of games. Not sure if it it's the ribs or back but Baylor will need him to get back on track if they want to be in the playoffs.

I think Petty in the mid to late first is a straight pick. Idc about the system he plays in. I care about his physical attributes. Dude is a beast physically with the a good head on his shoulders.

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree about the making of reads...people love to talk about his great reads but i think a lot of that is just system driven. His physical tools are impressive but overall i'm just not very confident in his true QB skills.

But guys like Mariota and Petty are in the same boat, it's difficult to get a real feel of their skill in their systems.

10. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Connor Cook....watch this name...especially if they can get him to declare this season...:)

11. Remii

Remii Member

As of right now... I would take Gurley in the 1st round over any of these QB's and let him and Foster punish defenses.

Hakenberg may not have never been good. His #1 receiver Allen Robinson went pro.... Whenever he would drop back and throw _ Robinson was his main target and everyone knew it and defenses feared him. Robinson dominated pass targets and receptions for Penn State. He was the stud offensive player on that team and not Hakenberg. Now that Robinson is gone and Hakenberg has to actually try to read defenses _ look at him...

12. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

13. vstexas09

vstexas09 Contributing Member

Nope nope nope

Pick 6

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Yeah, I might use a pick on him.

15. sydmill

sydmill Member

In light of how we have played this year, I am thinking we look O line with our first pick. We are not going to be bad enough to have a shot at the first tier QBs and without some TLC our O line wouldnt give any QB a real chance to succeed based off of the last few week's performance. My unsolicited opinion:
    1st round: Best OT available (Scherff would be perfect)
    2nd round: Sean Mannion (QB, Oregon State)
    3rd round: Best FS available
    4th round: Best RB
    5th: BPA
    6th: BPA
    7th: BPA

16. MystikArkitect

God this. But would LOVE for teams to outsmart themselves like they did this year with Bridgewater and let Mariota or Hundley fall to us.

17. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

He had over 500 yards and can make every throw while being tough as nails in the pocket.

18. Beavis Stiffler

He led his team to comeback from a 21-point deficit. This guy is clutch.

19. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

He did well when he had a perfect pocket, when he didn't he took sacks and didn't make many throws. Even though he looks like Tom Brady, unless he has the mind and collectedness of Tom Brady I'm going to need to see him make more plays when his line breaks down.

20. J.R.

J.R. Member

The reality for the Browns, however, is that Hoyer has increased his market value to other teams each week, and with roughly a quarter of the NFL unsettled at quarterback. Hoyer has strong ties to Texans coach Bill O'Brien, who he worked with in New England.

...some execs who have evaluated his situation believe he is at least in position to earn the $8 million a year Matt Schaub received from Oakland, and he could quickly be climbing to the $12 million to $16 million a year range, they said, should he continue on this trend. Some pointed to Kansas City's Alex Smith and Cincinnati's Andy Dalton as potential comparables in contract talks.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...-hot-start-browns-havent-begun-contract-talks