1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bryant's elbow!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ScreamingRocketJet, Jun 1, 2002.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Call me biased if you want, but my opinions on Game 6 are shared by roughly 80% of the BBS, looking at this thread and a couple of others. I haven't seen one other person-- not even napster, the true Laker fan on the BBS-- concurring with 03 that the Lakers have "outplayed" the Kings three of six games. If you think we're both "equally biased", then let's take a look at the rest of the BBS... there's sure a whole lot more in my corner than in the Lakers.

2. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

That's ridiculous, Cat. Math and basketball aren't as related as you seem to think that they are. You can't just go back and take away baskets that weren't supposed to count...That could change the pace of the game...That would be like adding Steve's ppg average to all of the games that he missed due to injuries. I bet we would be a playoff team.

Horry flop? As Kings supporters, we have nothing. Divac has proven time and time again that acting does have its role in the NBA. You don't seem to be looking for/noticing the miscalls against the Lakers.

03, do you deny that it was a foul on Kobe? Personally, I think that it was a double foul. Bibby did indeed grab Kobe at the waist. BTW, grab a baseball(or any hard object) and ask someone to throw it at your nose...Tell me if it doesn't faze you at all.

3. X-PAC

X-PAC Contributing Member

Someone pass The Little Aristotle the tissue box. Shaq really has no reason to complain to begin with.

4. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

What's the point of calling a double foul? The Lakers would still retain possession...right? Wouldn't Bryant still go to the line?

Yeah, Bibby got busted in the nose but it was a quick judgment by the ref. He might not have seen Bryant's elbow, and if he did he considered it after the foul by Bibby although the he hadn't blown the whistle.

5. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Once again, they didn't call the foul on Bibby, I'm pretty sure it was on Christie.

Math and basketball aren't as related as you seem to think that they are.

Whats higher? 106 or 102? Math is related to basketball.

6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not going to bother for the very same reason you said you shouldn't bother with the discussion with Rockets03....it is pointless.

7. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Did you not even read the quote that you quoted?

If I meant that they aren't related at all, I would have said:Math and basketball aren't related at all.

8. Timing

Timing Member

I don't know why there's so much focus on that one call. The fact is that those touch fouls weren't being consistently called for this entire series until that 4th quarter. Where were all these touch fouls when the Lakers were down 20 in game 4 and pressing all over the court, roughing up numerous Kings with over the backs and holding? They didn't call the touch fouls then, why now? I don't like harping on the refs but that was just blatant last night. No team ever could beat the Lakers when they're getting touch fouls on offense and playing with a different standard on defense.

And for this "Bibby was holding him" stuff, watch the Lakers when they press and see who Fox, Horry, Fisher, and Bryant are holding on the inbounds. Every team holds on an inbounds, it's incidental contact and it's rarely called. Kobe on the other hand has elbowed someone in the face three times in this series and gotten one foul called on him. Even in the first quarter he didn't get a tech when he should have in that altercation with Webber.

9. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

Game 5 was just as bad a job of refereeing, but in the opposite end of the spectrum.

To suggest bias is to ignore games 2, 3, 4 and 5 where the officials called suspect fouls on O'Neal, putting the Lakers biggest weapon on the bench. **** happens, and so does ****ty refereeing.

10. JAG

JAG Member

You'd like to think so, Cat, and I'd like to agree, but then we'd both be wrong...Unfortunately, the "call" will be forgotten over time...MJ's career was one of these after another..for example, remember him absolutely shoving Russell off of him before making his "last shot"? But when people talk about it now, it's just called "clutch"...OR how about the Yankees winning it on that fan interference? Sadly, over time, idiot fans will rationalize it with stuff like " Well, yeah, maybe that HELPED, but the fact is the Yanks/Bulls/Lakers still won, and that's all that matters..Stop the crying."...Completely disregarding the fact that, given even close level talent/excecution, calls can easily make the difference. So, like I said, Cat, I'd like to agree about this being an example of a potentially "tainted" titile run, but it won't play that way for long...

11. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Damn...it's like some of you people don't watch any kind of sports or something.

So bad officiating went for the team I'm rooting for. It goes the opposite ways, like when I was complaining about how Vlade acts, but things usually happen like this in a very hotly contested series.

It won't stop until science has created an Uber-Ref, bred to live and breathe the rules and fed by the insessive b****ing of the players...

12. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Wow! Talk about the pot calling the kettle black! :rolleyes:

That is the single most stupidest and funniest thing I've ever read on this site!

13. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I'd just like to point out that the head referee in that game was none other than Dick Bavetta, who just called a horrible Game 6. Now what was that about a conspiracy again?

14. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Laugh all you want, but if both of us are biased, then we should turn to the opinions of the rest of the site... and there's a whole lot more in my corner than yours. So, either the whole BBS is biased to where they can't be objective, or you're the one lacking the objectivity. The latter is more likely.

JAG,

Yeah, that sucks. The problem, of course, is that 90% of sports writers are "average Joe" sports fans who don't watch the games closely, and live and breathe to kiss up to the major market teams. However, it is likely that a lot of true basketball fans will remember what happened in game 6, just like I remember how Jordan cheated to get off his final shot. That's all we can hope for, realistically.

Pued,

I watched game five closely, and I thought the officiating was either even or slight advantage LA. Shaq had a lot of fouls, but most of them were just mental mistakes on his part. There was one, when he had three fouls in the third quarter, where Webber went straight at him and Shaq just left his feet for no apparent reason. Webber scored anyway, and drew the foul. The same happened on the Bibby foul that was his sixth. Let him go! You have five fouls... you don't need to be giving guards little hip checks or tripping them. Shaq played a stupid game. The Lakers almost won that game because Doug Christie fouled out, leaving no one to defend Kobe. How did Christie foul out? On a moving screen by Rick Fox. It was either an offensive foul Fox, or a no-call... there's no way in hell that was a foul on Christie. Not even close.

15. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

You enjoy them tears of joy?

:rolleyes:

16. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

[​IMG]
    Sacramento Kings' Scot Pollard, kneeling and Vlade Divac, right, watch as champion Shaquille O'Neal finds another way to score and to win by uncharacteristically sinking a high percentage of his free throws in the final seconds of the Kings 112-106 overtime loss to the Los Angeles Lakers in the final game of the Western Conference championships in Sacramento, Calif., Sunday, June 2, 2002.

17. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Funny how you dont want to turn to the rest of the people when they express their opinion on those ****ty ass asterick champions. :rolleyes:

Give it up, I hate the Lakers, but they are 3 TIME CHAMPIONS!

That is "NBA Champions"! No matter how much you try to convince anyone how it is lucky or a conspiracy, people will always look at them as 3 TIME CHAMPIONS!

Every year you whine and cry how the Spurs are going to be better, but they are not **** man! It is Duncan and a bunch of p*****s.