1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bryant's elbow!

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by ScreamingRocketJet, Jun 1, 2002.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

To be fair, Bibby did have his arm around Kobe's waist. After he got nailed in teh face, that is. For a double foul, don't both have to occur simultaneously?? Bibby's arm is outstretched, Kobe makes a move that would and should get a fould call by running into Bibby's arm, but he nails him in the head with the elbow (whether intentional or not) slighltly beforehand. Why would that be a double foul?

Did the refs make Sacramento use their final 20 second timeout as well? I thought there was such a thing as a delay of game warning.

My favorite plays are the ones where Shaq camps int he lane for an hour, then gets the post-entry pass under the basket, goes up for a dunk and gets fouled.

And would someone explain to me Snapper Jones argument on Pollard witht he arms up. Is it really the rule that if the offense player jumps into a planted defensive players perfectly straight upward stretched arms, that it is a foul on the defense? This might be the rule, but if it is I think it should be changed. How is one to play defense?

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I taped the game, hoping to see the Lakers demise. While that didn't happen, I did get to review that last play several times... and anyone saying that was a double foul must have seen a totally different game from me. Bibby is is just standing there, and Kobe elbows him in the chops. Knowing Kobe is about to get open, Bibby thenputs his arms around Kobe's waist, since Bibby knows he can't stand up and guard him anymore.

3. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Screw the blatant flagrant foul, Pollard's and Divac' 6th fouls were two of the worst calls I've ever seen.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Bibby had his hands out to the side. When Kobe made his move INTO Bibby's arm .. . he followed that with a BOW TO THE HEAD!

In any pretence. . . .Kobe did not try to run AROUND bibby
    he tried to run THROUGH bibby

Rocket River

5. X-PAC

X-PAC Contributing Member

Bibby didn't grab onto Kobe until he went gangsta on him and dropped the elbow on his nose. When Bibby was falling he grabbed onto Kobe's arm. The elbow was totally unnecessary. But hey, Kobe ain't like that. He ain't done this before.... errrrr not. This has already happened twice before in the series. Ask Doug Christie. Coincidence? I think not. Kobe is frustrated. And he knows it. And how about Bill Walton making the jump from NBA commentator to LA Laker cheerleader? As for the terrible officiating I believe Vlade said it best.....

"Vlade Divac has an innovative idea for the Western Conference finals in the future, one guaranteed to cut down on travel expenses. "Why don't they just let us know in advance?" he said, obviously referring to the officials. "We come here. We go back to Sacramento. Back here. Just let us know." Translation: The officials have already decided before the opening tipoff who is going to win, so why bother to travel? Why bother to play the game? The NBA would certainly vehemently dispute the notion that the refs consciously favor the home team. But of this there can be no dispute: The home team in this series between the Lakers and Sacramento Kings has had a huge edge over the visiting team in time spent at the free-throw line."

--LA Times

6. Rockets R' Us

Rockets R' Us Contributing Member

Better check that tape again Cat. Did you see the reverse angle of the play?? Bibby had his right arm wrapped around Kobe before Kobe had even moved. Then, when Kobe tried to get away, he inadvertantly hit him in the face, (Kobe 6'7, Bibby 6'1) and by then, Bibby reached out ever further around his waist and tried to hold him back.

7. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Watching Bibby cry like a p***y was truly priceless.

8. The Cat

It's fans like this that make me so ready for Sunday's game... I can't wait to watch that thug Kobe cry Sunday night.

9. R0ckets03

And its fans like you that are getting me pumped up for Sunday's game. I cant wait to watch 12 p*****s and 20,000 cowbell swinging idiots to cry their hearts out!

:)

10. The Cat

Even if the Lakers miraculously pulled it out, it won't be much of an accomplishment... this would be the biggest "asterisk" championship of all time. The Kings have outplayed the Lakers in 5 of 6 games, but the officials have taken two of those five out of their grasp. Congratulations, Fakers.

11. drapg

drapg Member

where can i get a dick bavetta Lakers jersey?
    :D

12. X-PAC

X-PAC Contributing Member

LMAO

13. R0ckets03

No the biggest * championship would be that of your beloved 50 game season Spers.

I fail to see how the Kings have outplayed the Fakers (what exactly are they faking again? :rolleyes: ). The series is tied at 3 apiece. So by math I think they have outplayed the Lakers only three times.

I dont know why I am arguing with a guy who himself said something to the effect of "Even if you beat me 10 out of 10 times in basketball I will refuse to believe you are better then me"! :rolleyes:

So in your eyes nothing the Lakers do will mean anything. I mean there is not a remote possibility the Lakers are actually this damn good huh? Its always luck or a conspiracy.

14. UNMKT4

UNMKT4 Member

Yeah, I'm sure you'd be the same damn way.

Getting elbowed in the face and robbed of a game isn't exactly a good feeling.

Maybe you need a elbow to the nose to see how much pain it can cause you.:)

What do you call Kobe doing after every foul that is committed on him????

If that's not crying than I don't know what else classifys as crying.

#54 UNMKT4, Jun 1, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2002
  15. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Yeah "Oh Im sorry, I just cheated so you couldn't keep BLOWING BY EVERYONE ON THE TEAM" Mike Bibby is KILLING the Lakers and everyone knows it. I HATE THE LAKERS, I HATE KOBE.

16. The Cat

Champions are made during the playoffs, not the regular season. The Spurs won in a regular playoffs with balanced officiating. Thus, they are champions.

The Kings outplayed the Lakers in games 4 and 6, but had it taken away due to the officiating. Game 4 was a one point win for LA... hmm, I wonder what it would be if Walker's late three doesn't count? Or how about if the officials just call a couple of fouls on Fisher and Shaw for shoving Bibby to the floor?

Game 6 speaks for itself... I wonder what happens if the Lakers don't shoot 25 free throws in the fourth quarter? If Webber doesn't get called for a blatant Horry flop? If Divac doesn't foul out on a jump ball? If Bibby doesn't get elbowed in the chops? They've outplayed LA five times, but the officials have bailed them out on two occasions.

If you think the Lakers being "this damn good" won game 6 for them, you're so biased that there's no point to even arguing. Game six was a complete fix... we can only hope that the officials will let them play on Sunday. Assuming they do, most of us have nothing to worry about, because the Kings are a much better team. It's not even that close.

17. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ha! This is pretty funny, Cat. Regardless of your opinion, it is pretty common knowledge around here that you hate the Lakers more than just about anyone in the history of the world. Of course there is no point in even arguing, but that is as much your fault as it is his.

#57 RunninRaven, Jun 1, 2002
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2002
  18. Nikos

Nikos Member

Thats right Rockets03. Nothing the Lakers do should mean anything. After all they have the two best players in the league by far :rolleyes: , and yet they still manage to barely get by a Sacramento team that can't guard shaq or kobe. Nothing the Lakers does impresses me cause either teams simply fear them, and when they don't fear them they outplay the them with the exception of SHAQ. Without Shaq the Lakers are nothing.....take Shaq off the team and put any all star center (Divac, Drob) and the Lakers would not even get passed the first round. Im sorry but anyone who says Kobe Bryant is the second best player in the league as of 2002 is out of their minds.

It was Shaq who single handedly won the game for the Lakers. The only player I give credit to is Shaq, the rest of the Lakers have underachieved and havent even played solid playoff basketball in any stretch (with the exception of Horry and Fox from time to time). The Kings atleast have shown growth and improvement, the Lakers simply ride Shaq whenever they are in trouble, oh yeah and once in a while Kobe will make a few clutch shots thanks to Shaq putting him in the position to where his shots actually mean somehting.

Forget about all this FIXED talk, the Lakers got more foul calls today because they have been more aggressive, and their complaints over the past few days made the officials more aware when watching the Lakers on the offensive end.

The Bottom line is the Lakers can win this series, but regardless of what happens in game 7 I credit Shaq for winning this series if the Lakers do. He is the only one who raised his game when it counted and carried HIS team. The rest of the Lakers have underacheived and thats the bottom line. Yeah Horry made a clutch shot in game 4, and had some good rebounding games, but where has Derek Fisher and Rick Fox consistency gone? Where is Kobes 30ppg? Heck when has Kobe even made any clutch shots in the end of games like he is supposed to? Yeah Kobe can make a few shots when he has energy left in the game, but having Shaq makes you that much fresher at the end of games.

Give Shaq credit here, and anyone who feels this Laker 3 peat is an accomplishment is probably a Kings hater. Personally I want the Kings to win because I like their style of play and I like their players on their team. I would give the Lakers full credit if they were playing GREAT basketball, but only Shaq gives me reason to give the Lakers any credit during this series.

Most people who hate the Kings beleive the Lakers will win Game 7, but please dont tell me its a GREAT comeback or the LAKERS showed their heart, because SHAQ is their heart. And if you are one of those insane people that beleive Shaq and Kobe are #1 and #2 in the league players by far THEN winning the title should be automatic, and the only goal the Lakers should have had is going undefeated in the playoffs, cosidering they are such a great team......:rolleyes:

Heck if Jordan and Hakeem were on the same team, they probably would never lose a game....none of this WE WILL TURN IT UP LATER IN THE PLAYOFFS horse$hit.

19. DAROckets

DAROckets Contributing Member

Quote of the night ...

Shaq -

"I've been in the league for ten years and I never complain about the officiating and im not gonna start now"

I couldn't believe he had the audacity to say that,whiney b**** has done more then his share of whining about the officials.

20. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Dude, he'd didn't cry at all actually and in the post game Q&A at the podium he totally played it down and said it was incidental contact.