1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bryant below league-average on game winners/game-tying shots

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Yung-T, May 4, 2011.

1. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Kobe Bryant has missed his last five game-tying or go-ahead postseason field goal attempts in the final 24 seconds of the fourth quarter or overtime.

For his postseason career, Bryant is 7-for-25 (28.0 percent) on potential go-ahead or game-tying field goal attempts in the final 24 seconds of the fourth quarter or overtime.

The league average on these shots over Bryant’s career (since the 1997 playoffs) is about 28.1 percent.

Via Alok Pattani/ESPN.com

Talkin bout regular season:

According to 82 Games, Bryant missed the most potentially game-winning shots (42) of anyone in the NBA from 2003-04 through the middle of the 2008-09 season. (In this study, a game-winning shot was defined as one taken with 24 seconds or less remaining and the score tied or the team with the ball down by 1 or 2 points.) While Bryant was fourth in the NBA in game-winners (14) over that period—behind LeBron James, Vince Carter, and Ray Allen—his .250 game-winning shooting percentage was below the league average of .298. That .250 mark was also the second-worst of anyone with at least six game-winning baskets, behind only the SI poll's second-favorite clutch performer, Chauncey Billups.

Clutch situations:

According to his data, 49 players compiled at least 100 clutch minutes and averaged at least 16 field goal attempts per 48 clutch minutes in 2009-2010. While Bryant had the second-highest scoring average in this group of 49, he did it while averaging the second most field goal attempts. That left the Lakers star 17th in clutch field goal percentage (.444) in 2009-10, behind players like Andrea Bargnani and Zach Randolph. Bryant didn't do any better the previous two seasons, finishing 21st out of 59 qualifying players in clutch shooting percentage in 2008-09 and 24th out of 59 in 2007-08.

Read more: http://www.slate.com/id/2255932/

Lookin at how many potential big shots Kobe took and how many he bricked, is he the most overrated player in the clutch?

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

But but but Kobe is the best closer.

3. Sleepy Flloyd

Sleepy Flloyd Member

But but but Kobe is the best closer.

4. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

It's all about perception.

If you like to lose, he's the best closer in the game.

5. Steve_Francis_rules

Fans forget a lot of his misses because his teammates have been there to bail him out. So there's this perception that he always hits the game winner. Other players that might actually come through just as (or more) often haven't gotten as lucky and so people realize that those guys miss most of their game-winning opportunities.

6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Because every time he hits a game winner, they replay it on ESPN for the next two months. People that don't watch NBA regularly thinks he hits every game winner.

7. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

This pretty much explains it.

8. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Which is why he won that undeserving MVP.

9. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

I'm talking about the ESPN highlights. Kobe did not deserve that MVP.

10. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Kobe is good at making clutch shots but EVERYONE knows he's taking that shot. He gets tougher looks than say Paul Pierce or Ray Allen.

I find it hard to believe that all the players, GM's, coaches, and media that constantly choose Kobe as one of the most clutch players are idiots.

You must have some perspective. I don't think you could find a single coach to say that Kobe was anywhere near average, and definitely not below, in the clutch.

EDIT: I will say that Kobe is an overrated clutch performer in general. He doesn't make the right play. In fact, he doesn't really make any plays. He only shoots.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

The problem here isn't that Kobe isn't clutch, its that clutch shot attempts are so few they shouldn't be used to determine a player's clutchness. The league clutch average is higher but the average NBA player probably only has like 2 "win or lose" attempts a season, maybe even less.

The whole thing is BS IMHO. Franchise players are called superstar because what they do the entire game, and not because of 1 shot at the end of the game (see Robert Horry).

12. showtang043

showtang043 Member

HEre is ESPN trying to make clutch into a statistic again, its more objective than anything and I think Cuban and Pritchard went at hollinger in a panel at the sloan conference about this about how numbers do add a new dimension of information, but there are just too many holes, too many stories that it doesn't tell to try to use to make a bottom line.

This is another thing, clutch is beyond making a shot, otherwise the highest percentage people(some role players) would be the number one in the nba guy you want to take that last shot? Its more of a mindset of a guy who is not flustured and does not listen to the crowd or the time on the clock or the pressure, but just makes something happens and can create the shot and has the cold blooded mentality to hit that without having all the exterior pressure break you. Remember even jordan missed game winners as much as he made, its not someone who knocks it down, its never truly been defined

according to this number, every coach should want kobe to get the ball at the end of the game against their team and let him shoot that percentage and that is simply not the case, doesn't tell the whole story.

13. blackistan

blackistan Member

And I would still give him the ball over anybody in the league at the end of a game

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

TWSS!*

*then she changed her mind and pressed charges

15. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

People need to understand that this is not the same Kobe from the past 6-7 years. He's clearly lost a step and yet he's still one of the top five players in the league. His efficiency will drop a bit but doesn't mean you don't give him the ball to close the game. He's been there and done that so many times.

16. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

17. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

again, people really think clutch is just game winners? REALLY? REALLY?

18. adboy

adboy Member

in order for there to be a fair comparison i think they should consider the last five minutes of a game not just the last shot of the game. And kobe is very good in that period as is lebron, wade, MJ and all the other great closers in the game.

19. plates300

plates300 Member

exactly. I don't care what the percentages are, but if my team needs a basket, who else do you want taking it? And I'm not even a Kobe fan.

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I wonder what Jordan's stats are in the clutch situations.

I'll take LeBron or Wade at the end of a game if given the choice.