1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bryan Colangelo Used Secret Twitter Accounts To Criticize His Own Players

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by SC1211, May 29, 2018.

1. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

Cancel the finals, just show this instead. God I would watch every second of this.

BigShasta, B-Bob, hakeem94 and 2 others like this.
  2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Good. Colangelo hasn't exactly done a lot for Philly, hired a coach who got owned by Brad Stevens and paid the max for 1 uear of Reddick, "meh" moves. Meanwhile drafting one of the buggest busts ever in Fultz and also giving up a pick to the Celtics is a franchise killing move.

Regardless of the burner account issue he deserves to be fired for incompetence IMHO.

D-rock, justtxyank and hakeem94 like this.
  4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

BigMaloe, rocks123, D-rock and 9 others like this.
  5. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Brett was hired by Hinkie

buffalobills!!! likes this.
  6. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Post like this is exactly why Hinkie is overrated now. He was smart and had conviction, but now has somehow been credited with all good things Sixers due to Colangelo's ineptitude. This is revisionist history at its best.

Case in point, Hinkie drafted Okafor in the 2015 NBA draft, which happened in June 2015. The Colangelos weren't even involved with the Sixers until December 2015, when Adam Silver intervened and helicoptered them in. How could Okafor be a Colangelo pick?

Also, 3 good players in 4 years? Which three? MCW? Okafor? Noel? All these players are basically out of the league now. The only good player Hinkie drafted was Embiid. Simmons was a Colangelo pick.

Again, I liked Hinkie's approach and think he's probably a better GM than Colangelo. He also wasn't treated fairly by the Sixers and the league. But he was far from perfect and made tons of mistakes, which was to be expected as a new GM. And this whole lionization thing is getting crazy now.

Colangelo is a bitter man who is about to lose his job. But I kind of understand why he hated the Hinkie mythology so much.

Bearius Jones, B-Bob and hakeem94 like this.
  7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Colangelo was a good friend of the owner and had been brought in as a "consultant". While he hadn't officially been brought in the Philly circle you have to wonder what would make ownership suddenly step in the GM's decision making. Add in Colangelo's burner praising Okafor for "being a class act" while the dude had been pouting on the team until he got traded and it doesn't need a genius to connect the dots together. Why will he praise Okafor for being a class act and burn Embiid for being immature when Embiid is the one carrying the team while Okafor demanded a trade? Let me guess, is it because Okafor was his pick and Embiid was Hinkie's?

https://www.google.com.sa/amp/www.p...ke-jahlil-okafor-over-kristaps-porzingis/amp/

Simmons was a no-brainer pick, and the only reason Philly even had that pick was because of "The Process". Are you crediting Cav's GM for picking Lebron? OMG, why did that dude get fired? He got Cavs LeGoat :rolleyes:

Embiid, Simmons, Saric, what should have been Taytum and the Nets pick next year in just 4 years, there is no "lionization" going on here. Hinkie set them up for success. If he had not been tampered with he would even add Porzingis to that mix, how's that for being overrated?

And that's not counting the assets they could have gotten for MCW, Okafor and Noel. All these in 4 years, a normal GM would just have 4 low lotto picks with a mediocre team. What revisionist history are you talking about exactly?

#147 roslolian, Jun 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  8. Pizza_Da_Hut

Omfg, I have an idea. Let's get Maury Povich to come on and give Colangelo a lie detector test. As filler to make it an hour to two hours long we could also have Maury reveal whether an NBA player is the father or not of multiple children. That would get 10x the views of these finals. Give me 7 episodes of that and I'm hooked.

9. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

Resigned by Colangelo...

D-rock and roslolian like this.
  10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

This would be some fine reality television. I would definitely watch.

I think they should bring on like six kids and six NBA players. The audience can ask questions of the kids and then we all get to guess which kid "belongs" (sic) to which dead-beat father.

The Colangelo lie detector could basically be like the segment right before the big "who's your dad" reveal.

EDIT: you could not have Shawn Kemp b/c all six could be his kids. Not fair.

11. Pizza_Da_Hut

Doesn't Dwight have like 12 kids?

12. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

Shawn Kemp is the father.

13. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Everything you talked about are rumors. There could be truth to some of it, but a lot of it was exaggerated based on this cartoonish narrative. There was no hard evidence for ownership/Colangelo forcing Hinkie to take Porzingis. Did Hinkie wanted Porzingis over Okafor? Maybe or maybe not, but Hinkie couldn't even get Porzingis for an interview. Why? His reputation was a joke at the time. In fact, the only hard evidence was that Hinkie's reputation made Porzingis' agent Andy Miller steering his client away from the Sixers.

Read this article: https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/the700level/woj-porzingis-camp-wanted-no-part-sixers-no-3

Look, I get it. Most people’s lives are boring and they want reality to be like Game of Zones and this drama narrative of a horrible Colangelo making all wrong moves while forcing the genius Hinkie out, who would have made all the right moves. But fun narratives are almost never the entire truth. If you want to worship Hinkie or think he’s Joan of Arc, go for it.

To me, the reality was closer to that Hinkie was a smart rookie GM with a good plan. He made some major blunders while executing it but was probably on his way to be successful if given time. He wasn’t. Too bad.

14. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

It's believable considering this entire fiasco. The man defended insanely high collars as normal using anon accounts at the risk of his job, reputation and all future employment. His freaking collars. His flame out was spectacular.

Hinkie just wrote a sweet letter and moved on.

D-rock and roslolian like this.
  15. roslolian

roslolian Member

Ok then disregard the "rumors". Let's assume Hinkie was dumb and took Okafor instead of Porzingis even if it went against everything he had drafted before.

You still have Embiid, Saric, the Simmons pick AND the Fultz pick...thats 3 great drafts and 1 top 3 lotto pick in 4 years. Are you really gonna credit Simmons to Colangelo when all he really did is pick the obvious player? Why did they even have the Simmons pick anyway? Isn't because of Hinkie tanking?

Meanwhile what did Snakangelo do? He went all in when they could have collected more picks and they ended up getting embarrassed by Boston in 5 games. He wasted the Fultz pick, in a draft with some of the brightest stars he picked a lemon and worse traded a pick which could become the Nets pick.

Look, I get it. You want to be a hipster and say Hinkie is overrated and Colangelo isn't so bad. But there is no overrating going on here, nobody is saying Hinkie is the GOAT GM. The reality is Hinkie got all their great young players, and Snakangelo bungled his first draft and gVe up a potential lotto pick in the process. WTF stop drinking the Colangelo kool aid.

16. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I've never put much thought into the fact they could have taken Porzingis over Okafor. Holy **** a team of Embiid, Porzingis, Saric, Simmons and Fultz would be soooooooooooo much fun. And I threw in Fultz but it really doesn't matter who plays point guard in that lineup. If Fultz is a bust you can easily replace him in the lineup with Redick or McConnell and that'd still be so fun. They'd have to change the name of the franchise to the Unicorns.

D-rock likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

Hinkie really wanted Porzingas. The Sixers ownership did not and the agent for Porzingas didn’t want him in Philly either.

18. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Good thing Porzingis had competent management that got him into a great situation like New York!

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Zinger would have been a classic Hinkie pick betting on upside while the team hovers near the bottom.

The Process was about multiple bites of the apple to find generational talent. Embiid, KP etc.

Ownership forcing the Okafor pick I am sure was a clear sign to Hinkie that he no longer had full trust from the owners on their agreed upon strategy.

Bearius Jones, D-rock and roslolian like this.
  20. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

that would have been a crazy big team. Simmons, KP, Embiid, and then they have a chance at Lebron! Wow lol

their lineup could have been Simmons, Covington, Lebron, KP, and Embiid