1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brussels Airport Explosions Kill and Wound 'Several': Official

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Just to make some more sense or to see why I have this perspective:

I used to say the same things as people like ATW in regards to possibility of an attack and also tried to influence my brother and his girlfriend when they were unsure about going to Egypt. Told them that an attack is extremely unlikely, so you should just go for it and not let it infuence your decision. They nearly went to Egypt but decided to go somewhere else on short notice.

Their planned trip to Egypt involved going to the Karnak Temple near Luxor and was supposed to be from beginning to middle of June 2015. So what happened: The same week that the trip to Egypt and Karnak would've been scheduled to, there was an attempted suicide bombing at Karnak. It fortunately was prevented by shooting the attackers, but it was still nearly happening and at exatly the week where they would've travelled to that place on behalf of my advice.

So worst case, my "the possibility is extremely low, can happen anywhere, just go for it" could've ended up in the death of my brother and his girlfriend. That's why I'll never again tell people to go for it despite involved risk. I can't even imagine how I would've felt or dealt with this scenario and the guilt.

Maybe that put my earlier sentiments into perspective for you guys.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Brussels is one of my favorite cities from childhood, always liked it better than Paris. This is horrible news, I suspect this had something to do with the arrest of the gang leader.

they need to expedite the crackdown on these punks.

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

thank you merkel

4. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

I'm in Barcelona right now (first time here and it's amazing) and will be in Paris tomorrow (luckily not for long). I wouldn't cancel anything.

5. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

This sucks.

To be honest no place is safe from these despicable terrorists but you can only take precautions and play the odds game.

Condolences to the victims.

6. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Obama says climate change is more of a threat than ISIS. Why are Republicans laughing? <a href="https://t.co/c7Iql2Tgvq">https://t.co/c7Iql2Tgvq</a></p>&mdash; Foreign Policy (@ForeignPolicy) <a href="https://twitter.com/ForeignPolicy/status/712247550674386944">March 22, 2016</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

8. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Probably because rising sea levels will effect hundreds of millions of people :confused:

Climate change is probably the most dangerous event we can face as a species outside of nuclear winter.

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

When there is state vs state warfare over natural resources like WATER, yes, that is going to displace and kill many more people than Islamic terrorism.

10. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You just can't help yourself.

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's the short sighted 24 hour news cycle that allows this short sighted mindset. Islamic terrorism is tragic and devastating. There is no doubt about it, but it seems as if conservatives are unable of taking two to three steps back to look at the meta picture and realize that things like drinkable WATER are becoming a scarce resource in many regions. A conventional war over essential natural resources will create much more devastating havoc than sporadic terrorist attacks.

12. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Europe is completely F'd by their immigrants and their inability to integrate.

It's really a shame, too, because it's a great place with so much character, but these immigrants have really served to be the turd in the punchbowl.

13. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

Have faith. We have pushed Islam out before.

14. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I just do not see a way out of this mess.

You can't beat it with open arms, love, and acceptance, just letting these horrible events continue to happen. You also can't bomb Northern Africa and the Middle East to oblivion.

The only two things I think you can do over time is push for oil to lose its importance to the world through technology. Number two pushing for education in those countries for everyone, especially women. Otherwise I really don't know.

1 person likes this.
  15. jcee15

jcee15 Contributing Member

You don't let anymore mthafuggers in. Women are stupid and will do whatever a dominant man tells them to do.

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

You basically covered it.

Lobbing bombs only causes more problems, and tightening/closing borders can't stop bad ideas from spreading.

17. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Public places and innocent people, what a bunch of cowards. No heaven or virgins waiting for your classless, non-intellectual, dumb asses.

18. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

You will start seeing European countries ban immigration from certain countries. nobody likes it; it feels terrible turning people away, but what can you do after rotherham, cologne, Sweden, etc....

19. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Why couldn't these people integrate into European societies?

20. dback816

dback816 Member

Because they don't care/want to/have to.

There are huge foreign communities in the US that never integrate into American society as well and they do just fine.