1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bruno Mars is not black enough apparently.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, Mar 10, 2018.

1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Since when was popularity a sign of quality? Popularity has to do with approachability and inoffensiveness. The most popular tv shows, movies, music are almost never the highest quality.

Cultural appropriation is a farce and a made up thing to get upset about

2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

[​IMG]
    Black Panther is a billion dollar movie..

JeffB likes this.
  4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Sure, but all those comments are off topic. Seems the leader of the debate is trying to raise a Cultural Appropriation issue, yet allows it to get derailed by discrimination issues.

Methinks yet-another round-table discussion on discrimination doesn't gain as much traction as citing lessor known words from Anth/Soci/AAST 101 classes to sound smart and hip ... to give a tired topic the cachet of a hot topic

My question: Was that round-table knowingly repurposing (dare I say, reappropriating) the word "Appropriation" to discuss discrimination, or do they actually believe Bruno is disrespecting their music heritage -- a key component of true Cultural Appropriation?​

Cultural Appropriation is not a farce.

It's just being used farcically in this instance, by over-educated kids trying to sound smart. They actually discuss the real topic (as DarkHorse points out), but are trying a wee bit too hard to breath new life into a decades old debate by using fancy words that they learned in college.

#84 heypartner, Mar 14, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I just don't see it as a problem. I think its important to protect one's culture and identity, but I also think its important for other people to embrace it and appreciate it. Culture is fluid, it isn't something limited to a single persons or persons. I just don't find it demeaning or inappropriate. Especially in a country like this with so many cultures mixing, there isn't a singular "american culture"

6. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Not "black" enough but BET is gonna air "Bruno Mars: 24K Magic Live at the Apollo". Looks like black people making money off of a non black. Go figure. The humanity.....
    WUT? Are you saying that its a billion dollar movie cause it was supported by blacks?

7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bruno Mars is better than that crap mumble rap that these Max Kellerman/ Harden only fans are listening to

way better
    etter
    etter

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  8. heypartner

I agree. But don't confuse Acculturation with Appropriation. The latter has an element of disrespect and resentment, and it doesn't exist nearly as much as the former which is a more respectful mixing of cultures. Appropriation has examples (harmful ones, too) in US history, but mainly prior to a melting pot, American Culture took shape. And that's just US history.

That's because you are describing Acculturation. The very definition of Cultural Appropriation is that it represents cultural exchange that is demeaning and inappropriate.

Excuse my point of vocabulary...I'm just a stickler for Anthropology terms...one of my passions. Let's not allow the college kids in that discussion to misuse a classic term. I can cite many examples throughout history and in the present where Cultural Appropriation existed/exists and is harmful to the point of causing, otherwise unnecessary, grassroots dissent, if not real conflicts and wars ... albeit, often led by charismatic figures who have hidden, ulterior agendas.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I couldn't agree more with this statement, it's not a problem at all other than in the minds of certain types of racists but....

I couldn't disagree more with this statement. There's no such thing as ownership of culture, so no one has the right to "protect" what they deem to be their culture. You can contribute to a culture, you can embrace a culture, but it's never "yours" any more than it is anyone else's. That's why the idea of "protecting" a culture, especially by trying to exclude people from embracing it, is ridiculous.

The musical culture embraced by Bruno Mars, whatever it happens to be, is his own just as much as it is and perhaps more so than any of the idiots in those 2 videos discussing the topic.

10. heypartner

You're mainly describing American Culture as of today. And I also thought @rhino17 was using "One's" in the plural sense of the word. You seem to be hung-up on the a singular meaning of "one's." What's wrong with entirety of the people who shaped a culture protecting its traditions and heritage? Hell, how many presidents have campaigned on protecting freedom, baseball and apple pie. I'm sure you would agree the word "Freedom" is culturally defined (as well as constitutionally) differently among peoples.

fwiw: The phrase Cultural Appropriation was first used to describe colonial situations whereby there was a dominant culture completely separate from the indigenous culture. In that case, surely you can see how a people wants to protect their culture and identity. It's a shame that video discussion is doing the history of examples an injustice by misusing the phrase.

#90 heypartner, Mar 14, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  11. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

12. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Max's flava is good. Stop hating.

13. the shark

the shark Member

Did Cee Lo Green care if Bruno was "black enough" when he did his "forget you" song?

14. Buck Turgidson

Astrodome likes this.