1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bruno Mars is not black enough apparently.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, Mar 10, 2018.

1. OTMax

OTMax Member

What a bunch of crock, Bruno looks at least the part so what’s the problem? Guess people like to create one when there ain’t one..

I do think that any artist who was clearly influenced by a certain artist or style or genre, or better yet flat out sampled something or made a song resembling one by an artist before you that they should give them their proper respect and own up to it.

If Bruno has not done that, then it makes sense that people in a certain genre or style he’s using have a problem with it. Not sure if that’s part of their argument though.

VanityHalfBlack likes this.
  2. Exiled

Exiled Member

so tiny

3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I am here to say that Wu Tang is not Asian enough to embrace the Kung Fu Shaolin culture. I am outraged. Where do we riot with our pitchforks?

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Probably no more than Wu-Tang or whatever. Narrowing focus on contemporary American culture and then constraining the notion of black culture to just those arenas seems either short-sighted or just kind of lazy.

5. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

If I am not mistaken they were emulating the intro and stuff for "In Living Color"

glad_ken likes this.
  6. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Bruno Mars is not tall enough.

7. Sajan

Sajan Member

Out of all the issues facing America today...this is worth a 30 minute discussion?
    Whether bruno mars is black enough?

Oh boy.

PS. Bruno makes pretty good music. Way better than whatever mumble rap is.

8. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Bruno Mars is a California Raisin

9. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

There should be poll for everyone that comes in here that comments without watching the videos.

Bruno Mars is not black. He is Puerto Rican, Spanish, Filipino and Jewish. How black is he supposed to be? How black do you want him to be?

10. mrm32

mrm32 Member

More importantly, why does he need to be black in the first place to perform the music he’s performing?

Sajan and VanityHalfBlack like this.
  11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

He doesn't have to be! That's not even what they are arguing about. You guys are reading the thread title and commenting. Multiple people in those videos address exactly this.

Even more importantly, has anyone watched the videos!?

12. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I did watch them. A lot of them feel like he’s profiting off black music without paying homage? If he’s paying for the samples and going through all of the proper legal hoops, why does he need to put on other artists? That’s not his responsibility.

13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

The argument was pretty split down the middle.

Some thought he wasn't paying homage to the music he was using.
    Some thought he grew up with this music he should be able to sing it.
    Some thought he gained his level of success because of his racial ambiguity.
    Some asked why Bruno Mars is being scrutinized when other black artist have stolen from other black artist. is that OK?
    Some gave him a pass because he is celebrating the art and hasn't done anything racist, yet.
    etc.

The conversation was really good about if Bruno Mars is a cultural appropriator. It wasn't a clear cut no or yes.

The thread title is not doing the discussion justice is all I'm saying.

So in relating to the thread title: Bruno Mars is not black, FACTS. but that is only a small part of the conversation they are having.

Sajan likes this.
  14. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You say that, but that's honestly 100% of what they are arguing about. If he was black, they'd have no problem with him at all, since he's not it upsets a certain type of racist....and for the most part, that's who was involved in the discussion.

15. mrm32

mrm32 Member

In your opinion, do you think he’s a culture appropriator? I myself am leaning towards no but I’m also able to see every point of view you lined out and understand why they feel like that.

What really bothered me the most was “he hasn’t done anything racist yet” part. Are just that jaded as a society that we’re just expecting everyone in Hollywood to be a **** bag?

16. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

This conversation always comes up when a non blacks attain a huge amount of success using music that is considered black (R&B, Rap, Hip-Hop, Soul). When artists like Bruno Mars, Justin Timberlake, Bieber, Miley Cyrus, Adele, Sam Smith, Macklemore, Eminem use this type of music to advance their careers into the stratosphere, black people wonder why them and not people who have done it, better, longer aren't getting the same shine.

Someone in the video referenced how it took Nicki Minaj a decade to get to the top when it took Iggy Azalea a couple years to attain the same status doing the exact same thing.

@VanityHalfBlack, in his own thread, is wondering why Gallant, probably one of the best R&B artists out there (I know his work it is fantastic), hasn't blown up yet. But Sam Smith's same falsetto is everywhere.

it isn't racist to make these observations.

17. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

LMAO! "ITS NOT CHOCOLATE"

18. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I mean, I don't know. Bruno Mars came on the scene with a piano and ukele singing that folks-y stuff and didn't make a dent in the music world until he started what he is doing now. People love this music, they may not want to see a black person sing it. He has without a doubt benefited from that.

Come on. There have been many people who were thought to be allies, that turned out to be racists or said racist things. Iggy Azalea was rapping, and dating black men, ascending up the charts before her racist online behavior came to light.

#38 DreamShook, Mar 10, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2018
  19. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

Funny how all those people were in the same camp, not really a discussion unless you have people with very different points of views. All of them agreed with cultural appropriation.....that’s lazy and not very intellectually stimulating....tried to watch all of it but was bored by the lack of challenge to the elephant in the room.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

He's not (culturally appropriating I mean), I'm not even going to watch the video. I bet I can get the gist of what it is about though.

It would be if Bruno claimed he had done something new, since he knows he hasn't and hasn't claimed that he has then for me, it is not. I think the argument that him not being black and that boosting his popularity is another argument. I don't necessarily agree with it...but I understand the argument.

Iggy Azaela was mentioned for instance...while she was hot for a moment, she's not some mega superstar or anything, not even on the level of Nicki Minaj. I mean sale wise and popularity wise, it isn't even close. There are also TONS of white rappers that are basically close to being unknowns. So I don't agree with the idea that they are popular because of their race. Eminem is the biggest case of this but I'm pretty sure every rap fan will tell you that Eminem is one of the best rappers of all time...so his talent explains his popularity.

Music is odd, sometimes, for some reason, more talented artist don't get the pub they deserve. It amazes me how long it has taken Run The Jewels to really catch on for instance...and half of the duo is a white guy.

I don't like the idea of Cultural appropriation because IMO culture is meant to spread and be shared. So I honestly just don't understand it.