1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Browser Wars 2015 Edition

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by what, Sep 13, 2015.

1. what

what Member

How does Microsoft Edge, in your mind, stack up against chrome and firefox? Are you using it?

No browser has EVERYTHING I want: for example, firefox is the only browser that can use firebug, which is by far the best web html inspector in the world. Chrome has probably the best video playback and works great with you tube videos. So it is always an exercise in what do I REALLY think is important.

With that said, I myself have switched to Edge for 4 basic reasons:

first, bing (on google chrome) is extremely buggy. And I recently switched to bing because bing seems to offer more helpful information search for search at my fingertips. The main thing I don't like about Bing is that its video search is not as accurate as Bing and bing is prone to getting GAMED by user piggybacking on originals.

second, Edge has a fantastic side panel that combines favorites, history, reading mode, reading list and ask Cortana all in one place. The ask Cortana feature is just awesome and it really lets you multitask in a way that is natural. I am using the sidepanel with it open all of the time.

third, marking up the web and sharing features are integrated and easy to use, when you combine that with one note, it makes researching something extremely easy.

and fourth, it's already faster and snappy. Also, a minor feature that I like about Edge is that it corrects spelling on the fly for common words and obvious typos.

I'm really not a Microsoft fan boy per say, but I really think that they seem to "get me" as a customer and what I want, as opposed to google which is losing me at every step.

2. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I would use it more often if it had a back button that allowed you to go back more than one page at a time.

3. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

I had to recently stop using Chrome after many years because they disabled functionality of some Java based flash financial charts I use for work.

I switched over to Firefox and have been impressed with it especially the new reading mode.

Haven't really tried Edge. Didn't know it was an actual browser till just the other day.

4. what

what Member

Try the history feature on the side panel as a workaround. It's probably BETTER than history.go if that is what you are using. With it you can scroll through ALL of your history at a glance while still reading your current page, its amazing.

5. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Chrome for sync and extensions.

6. what

what Member

I like firefox's reading mode too. All I can tell you about Edge's reading mode is from my own experience, but I think it is GREAT. Edge lets you bookmark a for reading later and it is all integrated into the side panel.

In fact you can read and post on clutchfans in reading mode!

7. what

what Member

and that great feature: memory leak

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Its not a memory leak.
    Its a feature.

Isolating processes by letting each other occupy their own places in system memory prevents extension/tab/plugin crashes from crashing the entire browser. Also RAM is the fastest storage and access option for data outside of the caches present in the CPU. Why waste it? If you have the now-standard 8GB of RAM you shouldn't be worried at all.

Yes, memory leaks can happen but that's dependent on the app and extension developers. If they code something with memory leaks and release it onto the webstore you will have memory leaks.

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

I'm still on Internet Explorer and it's working great!

10. what

what Member

while we may not be able to agree on everything, I think it is safe to say that the Microsoft Browser and Bing are no longer jokes, even if you still feel google does it better in both respects.

11. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Chrome is the best.

I say this as a developer and an IT guy. It has the most consistent performance from my experience, and while Firefox and Edge aren't bad alternatives, I recommend Chrome to my clients 10/10 times.

12. what

what Member

chrome can't do what edge does and if you care about the things that edge can do that chrome can't, then it isn't the best.

also, chrome is terrible for website development and it can't touch firefox in that respect, so no it is not the best.

where chrome REALLY shines is that it has the best video playback of all of the browsers, but that's about it.

13. CCorn

CCorn Member

I've found no reason to switch from Netscape Navigator

14. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

I find that difficult to believe when you've made the same thread twice in a week. All you did was rephrase it to try and get some conversation going on since the other thread flopped.

15. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

I'm synced to chrome

16. what

what Member

Maybe I'm a google hater

17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Chrome's inbuilt web inspector is much better.

On chrome -> Right click -> Inspect Element -> :eek:

People in the topic are being nice, brah.

19. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Chrome. Custom themes. Sync.

I run Morpheon Dark theme. The tab, address and bookmarks bar are 50% the size they are in the default Chrome and Edge browser. That makes a world of difference. On a side note, I can't believe the number of people who keep the default settings of their computer (color schemes, toolbars, web browsers, apps, etc).

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member