1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brooks and possibly Camby on a full roster; Something's gotta Give!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Fantasma Negro

Its an 82 game season, if everyone can get time and give others rest I say its a good problem to have. Canaan is a d leaguer, young, Jordan and Covingtin are training camp bodies. Brooks will be there for garbage time, in case someone gets injured and to push Lin and Beverly in practice. Camby is just here to be a veteran voice, he won't play more than 5 mpg. I see Williams getting cut or traded so we end up with a eleven man rotation

Lin/Beverley
    Harden/Back up sg yet to be signed (Barbosa possibly)
    Parsons/Garcia
    Jones/Motiejunas/Smith
    Howard/Asik

2. BongDong

BongDong Member

Camby in while Dwight has a baby fit or is fouled out of a game, keeps the rebounding alive and game intact, I like the sign. Asik cant play all 48 mins, if howard has some rehab time.

3. BongDong

BongDong Member

But dude honestly I think its time for this guy to retire. If he lives in Houston might as well try to see if you can get him at a way discount so he can atleast help ... That's regard to my last post.....

4. Rockets590

Rockets590 Rookie

Im not that good with cap salary or anything but is it possible as well if these players sign cheap because they think they can get a ring. Then Morey sends Asik or Lin(or both), some picks, and some quality players on cheap contracts to the another team in a trade. That would make the trade more appealing right? I mean these are expiring contracts and everyone seems to be gearing up for 2014. I don't know please don't crucify me if i sound stupid. :)

5. bootsdaddy

bootsdaddy Member

I think to count on Camby for more than a veteran locker room presence and an emergency big man is asking too much at his age. Can't see how this in any way makes Asik expendable.

6. rock34

rock34 Member

This, with Howard on board DM is now building a Championship contending roster. All these new additions give him options, that's the way DM likes it. As soon as something comes up and Darryl thinks he needs to pounce on it he won't be hampered by not having enough quality depth.

As far as who is moving? Well the easist guess is to say either J lin or Asik or both because of their contracts. As I mentioned, DM has several options and I trust he will do what is best for the team!

7. bandwagon

bandwagon Member

Moving JLin or Asik make little sense. The Rockets would have to trade them away and get no player in return. That's the only way a free agent signee like Camby can fit in the roster. I seriously doubt Morey would do that just for the sake of a 39-year old player.

Also, I think all the new free agent signees cannot be traded until December. So Aaron Brooks, Reggie Williams, Covington, Henriquez, Young... I think they can be waived, but not traded.

If the Rockets want acquire Marcus Camby and/or Mike Miller... then they would have to waive one of the news signees, or trade away guys like G.Smith or Beverly or Caanan or DMo. I don't understand why the Rockets would even consider doing that. Camby and Miller are garbage.

8. rock34

rock34 Member

The reason I mention Linn and or Asik is because they are the ones with a contract that can give you that third star. Nobody else on the roster makes enough money to match salaries unless you start getting into some of our core guys. D-mo and T-jones make some money but they are not enough to net you a superstar on their own. It will have to be a combination of Asik and others or Linn and others or both Asik and Linn to get someone like Aldrige.

And yes, because of what you mention that might mean the trade will probably happen later on during the season and probably not before the start of it.

9. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Contributing Member

Camby aside, if you think Mike Miller is "garbage," then I think it's pretty safe to say that you didn't watch a whole lot of basketball last year, esp. in the postseason. Miller was a key rotation player coming off the bench for Miami in the playoffs, and shot ~60% from 3. If an important player on a championship team stacked with quality wings is "garbage" to you, I don't know what isn't...

Also, teams can have up to 20 players on their roster during training camp. They just have to trim the roster down to 15 before the season starts. So while I don't think Morey is actively trying to trade Lin/Asik, he can certainly pull it off if the right opportunity comes up. I repeat: signing Camby/Miller will NOT in anyway hinder our ability to swing a major trade.

10. y2Joem

y2Joem Member

obviously the Summer League signees would be the first to go as they are just warm bodies for training camp,

Lin and Asik would only be traded for a significant upgrade, and LOL to those who think that Beverly is starting material, I love Pat, but come on, let's be real, Canaan is unproven and is MAchado at best at this point and Brooks' best days ae behind him

11. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Nothing has got to give. Not for several months.

Rockets always sign more than 15 guys during the offseason when the roster size limit is 20, including a number of partially- or non-guaranteed contracts. P
    They will just go to camp with all their guys and decide who to cut based on performance as well as other factors (like contract status/cap impact).

Cutting a guy with some or all of his 1st year contract guaranteed is no big deal. They are nowhere close to the tax and a little dead money doesn't hurt much at all.

They might make a trade, they might not. Even if they do make the trade, they are still going to sign a bunch of minimum wage guys to make the roster exceed 15. This is how the team always operate.

1 person likes this.
  12. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Yes, MM gets healthy in the p/o's and plays well in the p/o's. He's just hurt the first 82 games of a season.

OK, slightly hyperbolic. But, still...

13. conquistador#11

asik,bev,demo and X give you a better shot at landing you Lamarcus than having to involve lin for the sake of involving lin. Didn't the same people say the coaching staff loves lin?
    Portland would want someone with not that much of a contract since they're loaded at that pg position. How about a 3rd team you say? you're complaining about lin's $, yet other teams that are set at pg are supposed to take him in?

What the detractors have to get in their heads is that ironically, lin is the safest to stay here. Every team is set at pg with either a first tier pg, or a second tier pg comparable to lin or those lucky teams that have future star pg under rookie contract because they had a lottery pick. Face it, the pg position is abundantly flowing throughout the league the market to trade lin would be as expiring. but by then, at 26, he is going to be a much better player.

Oh orlando could use a new face at pg. but i bet they'd rather draft one and let nelson's expire in 2 years.

what about Rondo? the starting price for a jrue, not a hall of famer like rondo, was a high lottery pick. If Maury had another one of those in his pocket, I could see rondo being ours but for asik and lin? lol. they'd probably want you take gerald wallace's contract. and some of you think lin is a bad contract? geez.

why can't you people just hold your horses and see how we do this year. god forbid, lin who is already at the level of our pgs in the post yao era, should improve. don't get so greedy so soon.

14. Raven

Raven Member

Need three great starters, two good starters, and three good bench players.

;)

15. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

It dosent matter if Cannan goes to the D league, it's still counts as a roster spot so having 4 point guards makes no-sense.Something here says Morey is collecting assets or bodies incase of an trade either now or the trade deadline.

16. Oracle

Oracle Member

According to HoopsWorld NBA salaries list at the moment, it seems like the salaries of Reggie Williams, Gregg Smith, Patrick Beverley, and B.J. Young are not garranteed. I don't have a clue if that is correct or if it means anything, but that could be the reason why Morey has some leeway in signing players beyond the 15 mark.

17. allaroundplayer

Offensively, Canaan & Brooks are more like 2 guards.

It could be they are planning to play 2 small guards at the same time a lot. Didn't Brooks & Beverley play at the same time in the playoffs?

Canaan doesn't need to go to the D-League either. He was a 4 year college player. Weren't they saying he has first round talent?

If he turns out to be not as good as they thought he was, ok but I don't agree with this as a standard policy for all rookies before even one NBA practice.

As many players as take time to develop, there are also a lot of players who benefit from being thrown into the mix right away.

18. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I could see Portland wanting Canaan, Asik and a Pf.

19. munco

munco Member

Asik is a goner. Odds: 99%
    Lin could be moved to, but it's far from certain. Odds: 50%

With Asik as great as he is, Dwight is the best Center in the NBA.
    With Lin he's arguably better than Beverly, but he costs a lot more. Canaan has the potential to be a player, but again he's a 2nd round pick and most likely be playing a lot of time in the D-League to begin his career.

20. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Your right. Morey has done an incredible job of plucking complimentary players out of a hat. If he can turn them into LMA then what we give can be regained hopefully.