1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brooks and possibly Camby on a full roster; Something's gotta Give!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, Jul 20, 2013.

1. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

We just signed Brooks and now if we sign Camby and it sounds like an almost done deal if he agrees then we are talking 18 guys on the roster.

1. Howard
    2. Harden
    3. Parsons
    4. Lin
    5. Dmo
    6. Beverly
    7. Garcia
    8. T Jones
    9. Camby
    10. G. Smith
    11. Asik
    12. Casspi
    13. R. Williams
    14. Brooks
    15. Canaan
    16. Covington
    17. Young
    18. Henriquez

Now Young and Henriquez are gone with Non guaranteed contracts.

Out of the rest it's a toss up between Greg Smith and Covington. I'd say Cov but he has 150k guaranteed and Smith is Non guaranteed. But maybe Morey wants to keep Smith anyway so now you have a 15 man roster of ...

1. Howard
    2. Harden
    3. Parsons
    4. Lin
    5. Dmo
    6. Beverly
    7. Garcia
    8. T Jones
    9. Camby
    10. G. Smith
    11. Asik
    12. Casspi
    13. R. Williams
    14. Brooks
    15. Canaan

That is a messed up roster. Two people can't even suit up. Okay Canaan is in the D League. But that still leaves one guy that must sit and if Camby and Asik or healthy it becomes one of the 3 PF's DMo TJones or Smith.

IMO of those 3 Smith is the worse. So why keep Smith if you are not even going to suit him up or if it's DMo not suiting up the same goes. This is 2 many players that can play on the same roster. It just doesn't work. Something has got to give.

We have or are about to sign 2 players at positions we do not need help at. If you believe Lin and Bev are going to be here why would you sign Brooks to a few minutes here and there when Canaan can easily take those minutes. Not saying Canaan is better than Brooks but he might be eventually and we are only talking a few minutes. Maybe Morey sees Brooks playing a lot of 2 guard but then why sign Williams when Harden eats up most of those minutes and if Brooks is in your plans then why sign him.

Surely Brooks was made some promises of at least the opportunity to compete for minutes. he alluded to as much by say will see what happens in pre-season training camp. He must believe he will be given the opportunity to compete. Signing Brooks makes no sense if you are not shipping out a pg.

So which PG goes? Well it's hard to believe someone would want Lin's nasty contract considering, as many on here believe, he hasn't proved anything. But Lin brings intangibles like more marketing money and a huge fan base. Perhaps a small market team like Milwaukee would want someone like Lin as opposed to Jennings. It's clear they are holding off on him as of today so perhaps they have someone else in mind.

It could be Bev as well but Clutch said they love Bev and clearly the brought him out with Parsons when Howard was introduced. Plus Brooks signs and Lin leaves mini camp and he talk of the Rockets as the Rockets and not us or we. Not a biggie but when you add team ads with no Lin who a year ago was the new face of the Rockets. Something is not Kosher.

Okay and we haven't even talked about Camby yet who brings in the same situation. With Howard, Asik and Smith and even the signing of Henriquez where's the minutes. The reality is Howard and Asik have all the centers minutes and then some. Only foul trouble would leave any left. Is that why we sign Camby. Doesn't compute to me. Of course Morey does like assets. But he also sees the value of balance and clearing an overstuffed roster (e.g. moving Morris for almost nothing).

So it just makes sense that Asik is on the move too. Most figured Asik would be moved eventually. Morey even said as much. But he said he wanted equal value at a position of need. So that means maybe he found that player. And maybe it's LMA. Certainly Portland is willing to trade. They know LMA is not part of their future and all he does is help them win a few games more this year and take them further out of the race for Wiggins.

Dumping LMA now makes more sense than waiting. Especially if you can get some value for them. Add that with the fact that Brooks said the Rockets option just became available and Lin just left camp and referred to the team as the Rockets and isn't in any promo stuff and Milwaukee just said no to Jennings and I got a three way trade that makes everyone happy.

Which brings me to the only deal that makes sense to me. It's a three way deal with Milwaukee, Portland and Houston.

Portland sends LMA to us and gets Asik and Ilyasova. Milwaukee trades Ilyasova and gets Lin and TJones and we get Lamarcus Aldridge. So now our line up is...

1. Howard
    2. Harden
    3. Parsons
    4. LMA
    5. Dmo
    6. Beverly
    7. Garcia
    8. Covington
    9. Camby
    10. G. Smith
    11. Asik
    12. Casspi
    13. R. Williams
    14. Brooks
    15. Canaan

Covington and Canaan are in the D-League.

Asik Lin and TJones is a high price to pay for LMA but if you believe Beverly is the future at the pg spot and Camby can take over Asik's minutes without too much drop off then those losses don't hurt much and LMA is a major upgrade at the 4 and he can even fill in at the 5.

I'm thinking the Rockets prefer to keep TJones but Milwaukee probably would choose him to complete the deal. So that's my forecast. Could be way off but one thing I would bet is this is not the roster we are going into training camp with.

5 people like this.
  2. mcgrady33090

mcgrady33090 Member

errr write this after we get camby, this is all just speculation

3. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

I agree all signs are pointing to Lin being gone. MIL would be interesting, but I wonder if Lin and jones would do it for James Franco twin Ersan and if POR would be interested

4. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I agree....something will have to be altered.

Like my thread from yesterday though, if Camby doesn't pan out, Drew Gooden would address that specific need for us which is a PF that can actually shoot a jumper consistently.

No more airballs and shots with Helen Keller vision.

I like how Morey is now mixing youth and vet wisdom.

That seems to be the winning formula in today's NBA.

5. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Bye Lin and Asik. It was good for the one year you guys were here.

6. basketballholic

In my humble opinion this is the order of how the bottom of the roster currently would shake out with the addition of Camby:

11. Canaan
    12. Smith
    13. Williams
    14. Covington
    15. Casspi
    16. Brooks
    17. Young
    18. Henriquez

This means, barring trades or further free agent acquisitions, that Henriquez, Young, Brooks, and Casspi are first up on the chopping block:

Possible trades to create roster spots?

1. Greg Smith for a draft pick? - I think this is doubtful at this point

2. Jeremy Lin (and others) for something else? - I think this is 50/50 at this point. I'm convinced Morey wants to trade him but he's not going to trade Jeremy for just anybody. Gotta be a positive trade both talent-wise and cap-wise.

3. Omer - won't happen unless it's a blockbuster for a superstar and it will involve several players going out.

However, none of Canaan, Covington, Casspi, Brooks, Young, nor Henriquez are tradable until Dec. 15. So, there's either a multi-player trade involving Lin, Asik, and others going out for one or two guys coming back in order to keep one or two of the guys at the bottom of the roster .... or ..... they will get cut.

AND IF THERE ARE NO TRADES?

Personally, I don't think Henriquez has a chance. I think his signing was all about trying to get him in our system and get him to spend the year at RGV to see if we can develop him into something.

Young, he's got a chance to push himself into the top 15. It will all depend on what he does in training camp. But the odds are very stacked against him making the top 15.

Casspi, because he's got a larger guarantee his odds of making the final 15 are better. But they're still not great. If he doesn't bring it at training camp he could be cut.

Covington, I think he's going to have to really screw up in training camp not to make this roster. Unless we somehow bring in more free agents like Mike Miller. He looked very good in summer league. And he's super young. And Morey has him on a favorable contract for development. I think he sticks.

Williams, I think he's a lock. Young backup SG on a minimum contract with good NBA experience and a great fit as far as his offensive game. Don't see how he fails to make the roster.

Which brings us to Brooks...he's going to have to significantly outplay Young to deny Young a roster spot. And he's going to have to significantly outperform one of Casspi, Covington, or Williams. I think Covington is a keeper. So it really comes down to Brooks having to beat out Young and one of Williams or Casspi to make the final 15 with that most likely being Casspi.

Brooks or Casspi? 2 guaranteed contracts. Doesn't mean one (or both) of them won't be cut.

7. pcheung08

pcheung08 Member

1. no more Asik @11, traded to Portland.
    2. If I were the Bucks, I would prefer Dmo. :grin:

Good post.

8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It really depends on what "moves" Morey is anticipating as the season goes on. If he feels like he WILL move Lin, then perhaps he is more motivated to keep Brooks. I think Brooks stays. I think Casspi stays in the Delfino role and I see ahead of Williams on the depth chart. Morey clearly targeted him before Williams.

I think the luxury player is Reggie Williams. He is more of a known and Morey may want to keep Convington as a player that has a chance to grow.

9. roksoer

roksoer Member

when was the last time camby actually played meaningful minutes?

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

Geez. It's only July, and the Rockets could easily change the makeup of their roster between now and the start of the season. The only "risk" for signing players like Camby(if we do) or Brooks is that we cut one of them at the start of the season. Which means Les loses some money. I'm guessing after the Howard signing, Les probably isn't going to be too worried about wasting a $1mil on the 15th player on the team.

OTOH, these signings give Morey more leeway with the roster IF he decides to do a 2/3-for-1 type trades. He's basically hording players right now. It's like buying 2nd round picks. Sure, it may end up just being a waste of money, but the reward is there if the Rockets make a move that clears roster space.

1 person likes this.
  11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Covington and Cannan make the team, but are assigned to the D-league. That leaves 13 spots.

1)Asik
    Howard
    Jones
    DMo
    Parsons
    Garcia
    Casspi
    R.williams
    Harden
    Lin
    Beverly
    Brooks
    13)Greg smith or 13) Camby
    *camby signs, smith gets traded. Camby doesn't sign, Smith stays. There's also a chance smith stays if one of the minimum vets gets cut in camp.

*henriquez is gone
    *young has a chance to make the team IF there's a trade that opens up space, or IF one of brooks, Williams, or Casspi get cut during camp, in which case Young would be assigned to the Dleague.
    *if Rockets use room exception, an additional player will have to be cut or traded. Personally I'd like to see us use it on Nate Robinson. Harden, Robinson, Lin and Beverly is an exciting backcourt.

#11 Aruba77, Jul 20, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I do not think the Rockets will use the "room exception." At least initially. I think Morey is saving that in his back pocket to "fill needs" if/when they move Asik and if there is a position that needs to be filled.

March 1st is the deadline when players can be waived and be playoff eligible. Generally around this time teams that are tanking waive Vets. And that is when Morey will be in a position to pick one up with the "room exception" to perhaps be a key piece for the playoffs.

1 person likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I agree. It is what it is. It's not our money thinking there.
    However I do think cutting a veteran before the season, throughout season is very unfair to them.

14. luckytxn

luckytxn Member

They are allowed to bring in 20 to training camp. Last year they had to eat about 6-7 million in contracts to released players. Between now and the start of the season we will see more movements. This is normal.

15. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

I love LMA but Ersan would be a better fit on this team. His field goal percentage and 3 point percentage is ridiculously good and he's efficient. The Rockets would basically ask LMA to do what Ersan does so why not just get Ersan at a cheaper price...?

I don't know why people think the Rockets can automatically trade Asik for a star player when he's not a star player and as of right now he still can't catch the ball half the time. Don't forget what L.A. got when they traded Shaq. Asik for Ersan (plus a draft pick) is a good trade for both sides.

16. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>B.J. Young has a small first-year guarantee. RT <a href="https://twitter.com/JSize23">@JSize23</a>: <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen">@Jonathan_Feigen</a> With all these players who is not guaranteed?</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/statuses/358268764665552898">July 19, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

17. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

I just don't see why we'd need 4 PGs on the roster if we need to find someone to cut.

18. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

If we are playing in the playoffs where you gotta show up under great physical and mental pressure I would rather have LMA over this other cat... we aren't just trying to win 60-70 games we are trying to be nba champions.

19. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

Agreed & as long as we keep Bevs.

20. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

But Brooks for the vet minimum is a no-brainer on the roster, and Cannaan will spend all next year in the DLeague. With Lin's injury history, and Harden moving into more of a traditional SG role this year, I don't see a problem keeping Brooks, Bev, Lin, and our rook.