1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brooklyn Picks -- Cash 'em in, or let 'em ride?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, Feb 10, 2023.

?

Brooklyn Picks -- Cash them in, or let 'em ride?

1. Cash 'em in

85 vote(s)
    34.7%
  2. Let 'em ride

160 vote(s)
    65.3%
  1. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

With the Irving and Durant trades, Brooklyn's future is now much more uncertain. They could bottom out, or they could make some moves over the next couple offseasons with their newly-acquired capital. So the question is, in broad terms, would you prefer to cash in some or all of their picks this offseason, or keep the picks and see what happens?

Personally, I'm fine cashing some in. For example, I think the idea of sending back some of their draft capital for Bridges or Johnson makes a lot of sense.

JoeBarelyCares, Y2JT and NewAge like this.
  2. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

i've been about cashing them in for awhile - since the first blowup...
    Bottom line is the pix r worth more to Brooklyn than us... bc Brook can coordinate a tank and make them worth more than the midlevel value we would prob garner otherwise...
    If there's no incentive to tank... i believe most teams can hover near .500 simply by spending their payroll on journeymen...

#2 kjayp, Feb 10, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
  3. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Patience. Let it burn.

4. YOLO

YOLO Member

They should cash in some sooner rather than later.

The Nets can eventually trade Bridges or any of the good wings on their roster - will have tons of picks to reload within the next couple of years. big market and have an owner who's willing to spend big

There's no reason to keep all the nets picks and wait too long. The current value is high and their future value is still extremely volatile despite how whether or not the nets go into a full rebuild

5. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Stone is in the drivers seat now. He can develop "his" guys and when some flame out or get traded he has more picks on deck. Only way I see moving them would be if a trade for a "star" would pop up.

Prince_Hakeem and FLASH21 like this.
  6. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

You need to cash them in on a trade for a disgruntled star before we need to do extensions for Green and Sengun.

Bulls seem to be open to trading Lavine or maybe KAT or someone else becomes available.

In FA you have FVV, Harden or Grant and hopefully we get one of Wemby, Henderson, or Miller in the draft.

Add 1 player each from trade, FA and draft along with continued development from our young guys and you have a legit playoff caliber squad.

Y2JT and kjayp like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

It depends on a few things.

First, who do the Rockets get in the draft? If they get Wemby or Henderson, then yes, I would consider moving some for a player like Bridges.

For example, a backcourt of Henderson and Green would get picked on in the playoffs, so the Rockets would need someone like Bridges to try and avoid letting Luka or Harden or another bigger player from isolating on the Rockets soft backcourt.

Second, are the Rockets cleaning house and firing Silas and Stone? If they are, then I think it makes more sense to bring in someone like Bridges that will go a long way to helping establish the culture the Rockets need.

If the Rockets fall to number 4-5 in the draft and take someone like Miller from Alabama, they there isn't a lot of sense adding Bridges or Johnson because Miller and Jabari and Eason will be getting all of the swing and a lot of the PF minutes.

8. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Let's see who we get from the draft in 2023. Once we know who we had, these picks could be the ammo we need to bring in the right vet{s} star to compliment our core. Hold for now.

sydmill, Deckard, jim1961 and 4 others like this.
  9. mightybosstone

Gun to my head right now, I'd keep them. Even if they add a star or two to the young core in the offseason, there's zero guarantee the team will be any good. I wouldn't want to waste pick assets on adding players to a broken roster. I'd hold on to them until I was sure I was building a winner, and if not, I'd add more young players for the rebuild.

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

FTR OP isn't saying literally right now.

His post does say this offseason so he is likely taking the draft into account. Followed by or keep the picks aka let em ride

Once the nets start making moves determines the picks values. At the moment they're high, that's why there's validity in cashing some in this offseason

11. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Wait till after the draft, find a direction, then trade em for Bridges or a prime wing player

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Let them ride.

That team has no draft assets to get better and has no star power & no cap space to make acquisitions.

Starting next season the picks will at least be 'in the lottery" and are completely unprotected. No way are they a top 8 team in the East next year with the cast they have currently, they'll fall somewhere between 1-14 and I'll be happy to take their future from them.

They are in the absolute worst place a franchise can find itself.

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Ask again on draft lottery day.

RocketsTerps and RasaqBoi like this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

this is all based on the assumption that they basically do absolutely nothing this offseason which I would say is 100% false

they have plenty of players to get picks and they have an owner who's willing to pay. Being a playoff team in the east isn't exactly that difficult

Nook likes this.
  15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

We don't need more young players, that just kicks the can further down the road, we need to start bringing in ACTUAL NBA ready players.

The reason teams are getting 4 FRPs is because drafted players these days are a much higher level of bust than they used to be......19 year olds have zero idea how to play and it take 3-4 years for them to get there.

DD

charlieaustin likes this.
  16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

They can only do so much with veteran minimum contracts.

No cap space, That means they aren't going to be players in free agency.

No draft assets, that means they aren't able to do a whole heck of a lot in the trade market, they don't have anything rival GM's want.

How is it that they magically fix this with no tools at their disposal to do so.

luckyman76 and majicdonjuan like this.
  17. YOLO

YOLO Member

They can easily trade their good wings and open up space and get picks. Bridges alone is getting them 1st's. There's plenty of teams that want their wings easily and they should. The rockets already want bridges and cam johnson. And this doesn't even address the contenders who always need proven rotational players

you're fixated on them just sitting there and doing absolutely nothing. That's not happening. that roster isn't full of trash. it's loaded with good proven players that can help a lot of teams. Just because they're not "all stars" doesn't make them terrible

#17 YOLO, Feb 10, 2023
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
    Y2JT, Deckard and Nook like this.
  18. Moahst

Moahst Member

They have a bunch of good, young role players now. At best they will be a mid playoff team. Keep the picks.

Nook and majicdonjuan like this.
  19. Sengoat28

Sengoat28 Member

No way they will give up on bridges u guys didnt read they refused an offer with 4 first round picks? Nets will not tank they got a solid team and will try somehow improve the roster they will play for playoff spot so the nets picks will be around 20 to 30 for Rockets

20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

They have a lot of draft assets, just not their own, and they have Bridges. Considering there are a lot teams tanking each year, it should not be too tough for them to hang around in the late lottery/playin range.

If the Rockets traded for Bridges such that they kept every other Brooklyn pick, it would weaken Brooklyn more and it would benefit both Brooklyn and Houston for Brooklyn to go into full tank mode. It just depends on if Brooklyn is reasonable.