1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Broncos Hire Kubiak

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by BleedRocketsRed, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Jake Dellhome led that Panthers team... and was pretty damn good that year.

Almost like Matt Schaub leading the Texans to the playoffs.

2. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Don't know why this isn't getting more attention. Kubiak likes bootlegs and never allowed audibles when he was here with the Texans. Don't think Kubiak and Manning fit each other.

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Was John Elway simply a bootleg QB when they were winning SB's?

Also, Elway is hiring Kubes more for his ability to have excellent running schemes.... which I think is his greatest strength as an offensive game-planner.

Too much is made of the bootlegs... but in reality those are only possible when the running game is working to perfection.

4. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

I always assumed Peyton was his own offensive coordinator. He's always calling for an audible and picking defenses apart by making on the fly adjustments at the line.

Kubiak has a sort of gimmicky offense that works. I mean he can get points but there's no real adjustments. I can't really see Peyton buying into Kubiak's offense when Peyton owned his soul twice a year for the better part of a decade.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

I agree that Kubiak has a great running scheme and gets the best out of his RBs. He's proved that many times by inserting random RBs into the Texans and turning them into 1000 yard rushers. That'll definitely help Manning and the offensive scheme since they seemed to rely on him passing for 50+ attempts.

However, I think that Manning really has 1-2 years left in the tank to be truly competitive. Kubiak and Manning might take half a season to gel. Firing John Fox was probably necessary for the Broncos to improve since they seemed to flame out in the playoffs, but bringing Kubiak in might be a little too late for Manning's window. I don't think they'll be able to get the best out of each other in that time frame.

And I do hope that's true, because a struggling AFC team only helps the Texans out.

7. Teen Wolf

Teen Wolf Member

Kubiak will succeed in Denver.

Is manning retiring more likely than him coming back?

8. PhiSlammaJamma

Hope it's true, but story is out of Indy. So probably just some sour guava. Goodell is in a bad position to try and cover this up if it's happening though. A cover up would be in the best interest for the shield. But if real, it will get some legs becaause Goodell has to be wide open and transparent this year.

9. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The implosion by the QBs had more to do with the team's falling off than Kubiak losing the locker room. Besides the San Francisco game, the team was very competitive and in position to win the early games that year. It's not like they no-showed on the guy. After the Rams game, all bets were off and the team started to show signs of splintering.

Also, boo anonymous reps!!

10. ubigred

ubigred Contributing Member

Upon hearing that news, a loud cheer erupted in Boston.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The Denver connection aside, the hire just seems a bit weird to me. Elway wants his guys to practice harder and become more physical, so he brings in the guy that was at the helm when the Texans were considered soft by many? The same coach that refused to allow the defense to even bat balls in practice?

I think Kubiak would have fit better in San Francisco.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I think that whole "Elway wants a fiery coach" was a fluff piece without much real basis.

Elway wants a coach who shares the same visions for what wins football games (at least offensively)... and in Elway's personal experience, this has been strong O-lines and strong running games which makes the QB's job a helluva lot easier. You cannot really argue with Kubiak's track record in improving both the line play and getting elite run production (regardless of the running back)... and this dates to as recent as last season. And if you truly believe Matt Schaub was an "awful" QB, Kubiak's system turned him into a 4,000 yard pro-bowl passer... so chances are he'll be fine with a QB with more talent.

He also gets to work with somebody who he's been with for most of his professional career... and would have been his first choice if the Texans had fired him in 2010 (would have chosen him over Fox).

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Elway wants a coach that can be a conduit from front office to the players. Kubes is going to have it made in Denver.

14. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

The Kubiak Offense:

Run on 1st and 2nd down, then pass on a 3rd and 3, string together a good series of plays then flip it around; pass on 1st and 2nd down, then run on a 3rd and 6 until you are forced to punt. Also, use timeouts early and leave plenty of time for opponent's last-minute comeback drive to make it fair. Remember emotional victories are just as important as actual wins.

15. Jared Novak

Jared Novak Contributing Member

Don't forget the screen pass on 3rd and 12.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

17. mick fry

mick fry Member

And always, always give your opponent a chance to win, putting away the other team is just bad sportsmanship. Ahhh Kubes that rascal.

18. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Let me be the first to say this "Case Keenum to Denver, Denver wins the SUPERBOWL NEXT YEAR!".

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Does he reach out to Wade?

i think he should for at least the first two years.

Rocket River

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Maybe that's the wrong ex-Texans' DC. Fangio is available.