1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

British teenagers targeted in Zanzibar acid attack

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by underoverup, Aug 8, 2013.

1. underoverup

underoverup Member

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...re-targeted-and-had-been-attacked-before.html

Zanzibar acid attack: British teenagers were 'targeted' and had been attacked before

[​IMG]

Katie Gee and Kirstie Trup, both aged 18, had argued with a local shopkeeper days before two men on a moped threw acid in their faces and Katie had separately been attacked for singing during Ramadan.

One friend suggested they might have been singled out because they are Jewish, and local police said they wanted to speak a radical Islamic preacher who they believe may have inspired the attack.

The teenagers are due to fly back to the UK overnight and are expected to be taken to hospital for further treatment when they arrive home.

The teenagers from north London were teaching at the St Monica nursery school, linked to the Catholic church, whilst volunteering for a charity called Art in Tanzania after finishing their A-levels.

Two days ago Miss Gee tweeted that she had met former US president Bill Clinton, who visited Zanzibar on Sunday to pledge support for anti-malaria work through his Clinton Health Access Initiative.

Bashir Ismail, of Art in Tanzania, said they had argued with a nearby shop owner a few days ago when they went for groceries.

Mr Ismail said the two women, who were staying in Stone Town, were properly dressed when the attack happened as they were going for dinner at a beach restaurant.

"The two attackers passed by several white tourists in the area and threw acid after reaching closer to them which raises suspicion of a planned attack," Mr Ismail said.

A friend said Katie, a former pupil at the £5,375 per term Francis Holland School in Sloane Square, Chelsea, had also been attacked two weeks ago.

Oli Cohen, 21, said: "The girls were walking through the town singing on Ramadan when a Muslim lady came up to her shouting. She lost her temper and reacted violently - and hit her in the face for singing.

"I don't know what song it was but it wouldn't have been anything excessively aggressive or rude - they're so well-mannered and respectful they had gone to the town to do voluntary charity work.

"It was an isolated incident and I don't believe it had any connection, she didn't suffer any serious injuries - but they were both extremely shaken up by it. Not enough to come home but I know they felt uneasy being in public. Some people would stare or say things to them.

"I think white good-looking north London Jewish girls walking around in Zanzibar always make them a target as it's a Muslim country.

"It's a beautiful location and it was a trip that was supposed to be special for them, one to treasure forever. But it's ended in disaster."

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Cue the "socio-economic, doesn't have to do with Islam, blablablablablabla" guys.

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I saw this story and would love to have whoever did this castrated, whipped until there's no skin on his back, and then hung.
    What an incredible piece of excrement masquerading as a human being.

#3 Deckard, Aug 8, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  4. itstheyear3030

Acid attacks happen all the time around the world, particularly in India, Bangladesh, & Pakistan. Interesting how when it happens to two white girls, it's suddenly newsworthy and inspires people like Deckard here to support torture, disproportionate punishments, and possibly extrajudicial justice.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It's called being angry at reading, yet again, about senseless violence. I have no doubt, however, that you have never read a news report of an incident of any nature, and gotten angry. So I was angry because it was "two white girls?" Not that you are interested, but sometimes it ticks me off to read a story of a similar incident about what has happened to other innocent people in countries like India, where I once spent a summer, and Bangladesh, and Pakistan. The person responsible for this incident does deserve to suffer. The persons who do these things in places outside of Zanzibar deserve to suffer. It doesn't matter what color the victims are. And you know what? Far too often, nothing happens to them at all. I'm glad you responded to my post. I'm glad it made an impression on you. It was intended to make an impression.

6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

You really don't need to justify yourself. He's just dangling cheap bait out there to see who bites.

Based on your reaction I thought they suffered some horrible disfiguring injuries. However, suffice it to say, I'm happy to live somewhere that I don't have to worry about random whackos tossing acid at me.

7. apollo33

apollo33 Member

acid attacks has to be the most ****ed up way of violence

actually makes me sick to my stomach every time i read about it.

8. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

They probably thought they were tossing flowers of peace at the girls, but reached into the wrong pocket. It's all a misunderstanding.

9. itstheyear3030

Do you live in the US? Because you know it happens here too, and the punishment certainly is not the death penalty. The sad truth is that a lot of acid attacks worldwide, such as those between family members, go unreported and unpunished; the retribution in this case will probably be more "just" than for many other victims of acid attacks.

I simply found it interesting that many of the news outlets reporting this story never make mention of the most frequent victims of acid attacks, and yet all report on this particular incident. It doesn't take a genius to see the different factor. I'm certainly not implying that this case was any less reprehensible, and if Deckard is this passionate about all acid attacks, good for him.

10. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Would hit? Are there after pictures?

11. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I think it has more to do with people that are crazy, hateful, extremist, you name it. But if you equate all of that to Islam, that I can understand why you think that way. Carry on.

13. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The group behind this also is attacking moderate Muslim clerics - severely burning his face 9 months ago.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Equally appalling.

15. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

Fortunately the acid used apparently was diluted and did not cause severe damage. Perhaps these a-holes knew the consequences of severely disfiguring these girls?

What strikes me as the most disturbing is that the extremist movement within Islam is gaining momentum and appears to be spreading.

16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

days I wish I hadn't read the D&D.

17. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That's good news. Others aren't so lucky.

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Source?

Oh, you don't have one.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Islamist bullies !

More Ridiculousness.

DD

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/articles/4...-acid-attack-radical-extreme-muslim-islam.htm

Oh, I don't have one? Oh, why don't you keep making an ass out of yourself there? Geez.