1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

British poll ranks Michael Jackson #4 among most admired celebrities, Jesus #123

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Rockets34Legend, Jan 25, 2004.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://news.scotsman.com/latest.cfm?id=2449249

Jesus scored only a handful of votes – the same number as US President George W Bush – in a survey of young Britons’ heroes, it was revealed today.

They came 123rd – near the bottom of a list topped by soccer celebrity David Beckham, Hollywood heart-throb Brad Pitt and pop star Justin Timberlake.

Prime Minister Tony Blair shared 69th place with master illusionist David Blaine.

Psychologists asked more than 2,500 young people aged between 16 and 24 to nominate the individuals they most admired.

They were given the opportunity to choose great political thinkers, artists and religious leaders as well as men and women whose faces regularly appear on TV and in glossy magazines.

But the vast majority still opted for sport and showbiz celebrities. Beckham was number one, polling 132 votes, followed by Brad Pitt with 60 and Justin Timberlake with 58.

Next in the top 10 were Michael Jackson, with 46 votes, Jennifer Lopez (45), Robbie Williams (44), Orlando Bloom (41), Britney Spears (36), Keanu Reeves (35) and Angelina Jolie (30).

Study leader Dr Adrian North, from the University of Leicester, said: “Although people could have voted for great political thinkers or artists, their top 10 comprised Hollywood stars, pop musicians and a footballer.

“They went for people with nothing much to say but who look good.

“It’s slightly depressing really. What links all the names in our top 10 is not their great minds but their great looks.”

He thought this was not particularly surprising when young people were continually bombarded with powerful media images that emphasise beauty and youth.

Previous research has shown that highly attractive people are generally thought of more positively than those perceived as less attractive.

One study demonstrated that the tallest candidates tend to win American presidential elections.

Jesus was the most popular religious leader, but still drew only a handful of votes and was ranked alongside President Bush.

“I’ve absolutely no idea what’s happening there,” said Dr North.

“You could say we are a less religious society than we used to be, but if people still believed in big ideas you’d expect the block vote to switch from religious to political leaders. However, that hasn’t happened.”

He did not think there was any special significance to the fact that Tony Blair and David Blaine were equal in the poll.

But he joked: “The Hutton report next week will really tell us who is the true master of escapology.”

The poll was conducted via a web site publicised in schools and universities throughout the UK.

Acting, music, sport and TV were the four top categories from which voters chose their heroes.

Art, at number 13 on the list, came after science and religion.

Dr North is now extending the survey worldwide. Anyone wanting to take part can log on to the web site www.celebritystudy.com.

2. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

:confused:

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I need to know what it is Michael Jackson is doing overseas to still be popular. Japan, England, etc. women/kids still go gaga over this clown. The last hit he had was a lawsuit he was hit with. I mean seriously, what kind of crack does he put in the drinks overseas???

4. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Jesus and George W. Bush scored the same number of votes. :)

5. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

It's just young people, these kind of results probably hold true every generation.

6. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

I really don't understand these results, Michael Jackson's name is most definitely dirt over here. I can't think of anyone I know who believes that he's innocent...

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Probably they veiw is ANTICs as just that . . ANTICS and some Eccentricness
    They also see no evidence to support the American Public's
    damnation of his as a Child Molester

Perhaps they just a little more open to someone being different
    perhaps even odd .. .without being criminal or someone to be brow beaten back into status quo

but I could be wrong

Rocket River

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

yeah...they're much more accepting of child molesters there. we should strive to be more tolerant, as a society, of that sort of behavior. :rolleyes:

9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

That's not what he said at all. He said Europeans haven't been as quick to convict him public opinion like Americans have, since there hasn't been much evidence.

10. MadMax

the last time charges were brought he paid...what?...$60 million to make it go away?? this after fleeing the country...didn't return until the deal was struck to silence the family. the kid described the man's penis...scarring, thereon.

there is evidence..but money buys you out of it, i suppose.

11. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

First of all that 60 million figure is exaggerated, second, I have never heard of the describing of the penis incident. I just read smoking gun's description of the events and that was never mentioned.

12. MadMax

what was the settlement figure??? i thought it was $60 million.

that's really the first you heard of that?? remember when they did the strip search of michael...it was to corroborate the boy's description of a scar on mj's penis or around that area.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I've found articles about the strip search but nothing saying that the boys descriptions were accurate. Whatever the amount of money is, it was a lot so I'm not going to debate what the figure was. I think it was more like $20MM which is still a lot.

14. MadMax

if i remember the accounts i read, the kid described it to a "t." prompting defenses that just because he saw michael naked didn't mean that michael molested him

15. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Hey, Jesus made the Top 125. Bully for him. Sorry, Him.

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I can't imagine this survey is scientifically valid. The article doesn't say much about the methodology, but if he's doing this as an internet poll, plus he's getting such idiotic responses, I tend to think the methodology must suck. I could be wrong. I got an error when I tried to take it so I don't know.

17. cson

cson Contributing Member

Turns out Lennon was right

18. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Jesus never had a hit record either. Which, if you've ever been to a church service with "modern" Christian music, you can understand.

Ohhhhh Jeee-zusss... you caaaaame and you gaaaaave me a waaaafer...

19. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

I thought he didn't like women...

Then again 3/4 of News of the World is pure fantasy.

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/news/012604_nw_jackson.html

Report: Jackson's Kids' Paternity Questioned

LOS ANGELES — There is a new report that says Michael Jackson is not the biological father of his two older children. This comes from the children's mother Debbie Rowe who apparently now wants temporary exclusive custody.

01/26/04 -- Jackson Video

Jacko is not their father according to the British tabloid the News of the World. It quotes legal papers by Debbie Rowe that claim she became pregnant through artificial insemination from an anonymous donor. Rowe says she and Jackson entered into a surrogacy agreement in 1996. According to the paper their marriage ceremony was only for securing his parental rights.

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

you seem to be that in terms of Elvis anyway
    [wasn't Presila 13 when they married?????]

but as pgabriel said. . that is not what I said at all.

I wonder how much does 'exclusive custody' pay?

Rocket River
    'BUST A DEAL . . . FACE THE WHEEL' - Auntie from MAD MAX