1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

British Open

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Mrs. JB, Jul 17, 2002.

Tags:
  1. Mrs. JB

Mrs. JB Member

So do we have any golf fans here? Anyone looking forward to watching the British Open?

I gotta tell you the weirdest thing happened to me: I've never liked golf, I never watched golf, I never played golf, I never cared for golf one bit. Then one morning, two weeks ago, I woke up and decided that I would like to watch golf. I watched the LPGA's Women's Open and that was it. I was hooked. Now I watch golf every chance I can get. I've bought several golf magazines and "The Idiot's Guide to Golf". I'm going to start shopping for some women's clubs and a place to take some beginner's lessons. Strange, huh?

Anyway, I'm really psyched for the British Open. Is there any way Tiger WON'T win this thing?

2. lpbman

lpbman Member

I had to learn to talk golf anyway

Keeps ya from getting fired for being late EVERY SINGLE DAY
    actually I got promoted

3. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

Mrs. JB,

Welcome to the team.

Golf is extraordinary. The quest for mastery over the swing and course, mental and emotional control, and competitive fire are the most obvious enticements.

Enjoying nature and comraderie can surpass those in enjoyment.

I'll be watching the Open.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Been to the driving range...never played golf, though. But I do enjoy watching it...it's relaxing to watch!

I particularly like watching the British Open because the terrain is so different.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

As I sit and type with my blistered fingers....from one too many rounds this past weekend, I feel for you Mrs JB.

Golf will transform you, it is a great sport and is a great diversion for 4 or so hours.

God bless Golf.

DaDakota

6. drapg

drapg Member

I love golf! I took "Intro to Golf" back in college... but I got a 'B' b/c on the final exam I shot a 92! :(

7. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

I love to go the driving range. It really is relaxing... and I'm not just saying that... it really is.

I don't play, never played on a course, but I love to watch it and I've been to two Shell Houston Opens, absolutely awesome.

I love to play fantasy golf...

8. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Golf Rules....been playing since i was 11 and I can never get enough of it....holy smokes....I just though of an idea...

If there are enough golfers on this site...what better way to raise $$$ for the site than to have an annual Clutch City Golf Outing. Maybe, if the event "takes off" we can get a player or 2 to come out and play. We could make a ton of cash for the site with a golf outing.

9. Mrs. JB

Mrs. JB Member

Exactly. I saw a show about the course itself -- really narrow fairways bordered by knee-high hay. Looks brutal!

10. B

B Contributing Member

Vengeance was thinking about doing a CC.net golf scramble. Maybe we could combine the two ideas. :)

B

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

i thought a 92 was an a ;)

Rocket River

12. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

That damn windmill hole ALWAYS gets me!! :mad:

13. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

The thing that gets me is that there are no trees! That is just so freakin' weird to me.

14. davo

davo Contributing Member

Its not the British Open, its just "The Open". At least, that's what I was told by an English aristrocat last Friday at his countryside retreat, when I asked if he was looking forward to the British open.

15. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Very big golf fan here. Breaking 110, 100, 90, 80 for the first time is an awesome feeling.

I wouldnt know $hit about shooting less than 80, but i am sure it is an amazing feeling.

16. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

I've played golf since I was 8 but I still suck!
    You gotta play a whole bunch to get any better, but I'm over that. I just enjoy it for what it is when time permits.

I've a cousin who is an assistant pro at Canyon Springs in San Antonio. I played there about a month ago. Green fees are normally around 90 bucks but I got the hook up! THE nicest course I've ever played on in my life!:)

Mrs.JB, if and when you get those clubs give a holler and maybe a few of us can meet at the Memorial driving range. As I said I still suck in golf but I have played all my life and figure I know a bit about the ways of the golf. Perhaps I can help you...or confuse you even more!:D

17. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Been playing for over 20 years. Used to be a pretty good player when I played alot. Now I play once a week in a Golf League. We play 9 holes. We have 26 guys in our league. You have a partner (team) and play other teams. We keep standings, stats and everything. At the end of the year we rent a bus (stocked with LOTS of beer) and play some of the better courses in northeast pennsylavania. It's a blast.

Good Luck Mrs. JB :)

18. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That's weird, Mrs. JB...that's exactly how I went about liking mushrooms. One day, it just happened. ;)

speaking in an Irish accent
    Now, are we all clear on the rules? No black, and no Jews.

#18 RunninRaven, Jul 17, 2002
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2002
  19. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Mrs.JB, take a look at this site: www.NaturalGolf.com

I would heartily recommend the Natural Golf system for anyone taking up the game. It is a simpler swing, therefore it is easier to learn and to repeat.

If you have an instructor nearby it would be well-worth looking into it. Typically, they may have a free group lesson as an intro.

I moved into Natural Golf and became a significantly better player in about a month, but then my instructor moved away and the delineations between the standard traditiional golf swing and the natural golf swing got blurred.

So I am back to regular swinging when I get the occasional round-- about once a year now with babies in the house.

<><><><><>

On a side note, I caddied in the LPGA Houston event at Memorial Park in 1972. I had absolutely no caddying experience other than toting my own bag as a youth. The LPGA has come a long way. My friend caddied for the eventual tournament winner (Sally LIttle as I recall) and got a $500 tip. Me, I made $50.....

20. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

We have a course here in NC called The Pit--- carved out of an old, huge sand pit. Sometimes you'd think you were shooting through drainpipes.