1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bringing Honor and Dignity Back...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rimrocker, Jul 17, 2003.

1. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Simply stated, there is no doubt that Saddam Hussein now has weapons of mass destruction.
    Dick Cheney
    August 26, 2002

Right now, Iraq is expanding and improving facilities that were used for the production of biological weapons.
    George W. Bush
    September 12, 2002

If he declares he has none, then we will know that Saddam Hussein is once again misleading the world.
    Ari Fleischer
    December 2, 2002

The president of the United States and the secretary of defense would not assert as plainly and bluntly as they have that Iraq has weapons of mass destruction if it was not true, and if they did not have a solid basis for saying it.
    Ari Fleischer December 6, 2002

We know for a fact that there are weapons there.
    Ari Fleischer January 9, 2003

Our intelligence officials estimate that Saddam Hussein had the materials to produce as much as 500 tons of sarin, mustard and VX nerve agent.
    George W. Bush
    January 28, 2003

We know that Saddam Hussein is determined to keep his weapons of mass destruction, is determined to make more.
    Colin Powell
    February 5, 2003

We have sources that tell us that Saddam Hussein recently authorized Iraqi field commanders to use chemical weapons -- the very weapons the dictator tells us he does not have.
    George W. Bush
    February 8, 2003

So has the strategic decision been made to disarm Iraq of its weapons of mass destruction by the leadership in Baghdad? . . . I think our judgment has to be clearly not.
    Colin Powell
    March 7, 2003

Intelligence gathered by this and other governments leaves no doubt that the Iraq regime continues to possess and conceal some of the most lethal weapons ever devised.
    George W. Bush
    March 17, 2003

Well, there is no question that we have evidence and information that Iraq has weapons of mass destruction, biological and chemical particularly . . . all this will be made clear in the course of the operation, for whatever duration it takes.
    Ari Fleisher
    March 21, 2003

There is no doubt that the regime of Saddam Hussein possesses weapons of mass destruction. And . . . as this operation continues, those weapons will be identified, found, along with the people who have produced them and who guard them.
    Gen. Tommy Franks
    March 22, 2003

I have no doubt we're going to find big stores of weapons of mass destruction.
    Defense Policy Board member Kenneth Adelman
    March 23, 2003

One of our top objectives is to find and destroy the WMD. There are a number of sites.
    Pentagon Spokeswoman Victoria Clark
    March 22, 2003

We know where they are. They're in the area around Tikrit and Baghdad and east, west, south and north somewhat.
    Donald Rumsfeld
    March 30, 2003

Obviously the administration intends to publicize all the weapons of mass destruction U.S. forces find -- and there will be plenty.
    Neocon scholar Robert Kagan
    April 9, 2003

I think you have always heard, and you continue to hear from officials, a measure of high confidence that, indeed, the weapons of mass destruction will be found.
    Ari Fleischer
    April 10, 2003

We are learning more as we interrogate or have discussions with Iraqi scientists and people within the Iraqi structure, that perhaps he destroyed some, perhaps he dispersed some. And so we will find them.
    George W. Bush
    April 24, 2003

There are people who in large measure have information that we need . . . so that we can track down the weapons of mass destruction in that country.
    Donald Rumsfeld
    April 25, 2003

We'll find them. It'll be a matter of time to do so.
    George W. Bush
    May 3, 2003

I'm absolutely sure that there are weapons of mass destruction there and the evidence will be forthcoming. We're just getting it just now.
    Colin Powell
    May 4, 2003

We never believed that we'd just tumble over weapons of mass destruction in that country.
    Donald Rumsfeld
    May 4, 2003

I'm not surprised if we begin to uncover the weapons program of Saddam Hussein -- because he had a weapons program.
    George W. Bush
    May 6, 2003

U.S. officials never expected that "we were going to open garages and find" weapons of mass destruction.
    Condoleeza Rice
    May 12, 2003

I just don't know whether it was all destroyed years ago -- I mean, there's no question that there were chemical weapons years ago -- whether they were destroyed right before the war, (or) whether they're still hidden.
    Maj. Gen. David Petraeus, Commander 101st Airborne
    May 13, 2003

Before the war, there's no doubt in my mind that Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction, biological and chemical. I expected them to be found. I still expect them to be found.
    Gen. Michael Hagee, Commandant of the Marine Corps
    May 21, 2003

Given time, given the number of prisoners now that we're interrogating, I'm confident that we're going to find weapons of mass destruction.
    Gen. Richard Myers, Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff
    May 26, 2003

They may have had time to destroy them, and I don't know the answer.
    Donald Rumsfeld
    May 27, 2003

For bureaucratic reasons, we settled on one issue, weapons of mass destruction (as justification for invading Iraq) because it was the one reason everyone could agree on.
    Paul Wolfowitz
    May 28, 2003

It was a surprise to me then — it remains a surprise to me now — that we have not uncovered weapons, as you say, in some of the forward dispersal sites. Believe me, it's not for lack of trying. We've been to virtually every ammunition supply point between the Kuwaiti border and Baghdad, but they're simply not there.
    Lt. Gen. James Conway, 1st Marine Expeditionary Force
    May 30, 2003

“I don't know anybody that I can think of who has contended that the Iraqis had nuclear weapons… I don't know anybody in any government or any intelligence agency who suggested that the Iraqis had nuclear weapons. That's fact number one.”
    Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld - June 2003
    “The evidence indicates that Iraq is reconstituting its nuclear weapons program. Saddam Hussein has held numerous meetings with Iraqi nuclear scientists, a group he calls his ‘nuclear mujahideen’ -- his nuclear holy warriors… Facing clear evidence of peril, we cannot wait for the final proof -- the smoking gun -- that could come in the form of a mushroom cloud.” George W. Bush October 2002

"This nation acted to a threat from the dictator of Iraq. Now there are some who would like to rewrite history; revisionist historians is what I like to call them" - George W. Bush

2. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Did the Bush Administration exaggerate the threat from Iraq?
    By Wolf Blitzer
    CNN

Washington (CNN) --It was perhaps the most compelling reason for the U.S. to go to war against Saddam Hussein -- namely that he was rebuilding his nuclear weapons program. But that allegation has now come back to embarrass the President.

The White House now acknowledges President Bush should never have said this in his State of the Union address in January:

"The British government has learned that Saddam Hussein recently sought significant quantities of uranium from Africa."

That's in part because the British government itself has now backed away from that assertion.

What's clear now is that earlier intelligence reports suggesting Saddam Hussein's regime was attempting to obtain uranium from the African nation of Niger were based on false information, including forged documents.

But what's even more embarrassing to Bush administration officials is that the Central Intelligence Agency and the State Department had themselves earlier concluded the Niger uranium reports were almost certainly not true.

Former U.S. Ambassador Joe Wilson was sent by the CIA to Niger in February 2002 -- eleven months before the President's State of the Union Address -- to investigate the allegations.

"I traveled there, spent eight days out there, and concluded that it was impossible that this sort of transaction could be done clandestinely," Wilson told CNN.

Two months after the President's address to Congress, Vice President Dick Cheney appeared on NBC's "Meet the Press" and went further than the president in alleging Saddam Hussein's nuclear weapons program.

"He's had years to get good at it and we know he has been absolutely devoted to trying to acquire nuclear weapons. And we believe he has, in fact, reconstituted nuclear weapons," Cheney said.

The White House has now released a statement acknowledging the Niger documents were forged but insisting there were other intelligence reports at the time suggesting Iraq was indeed attempting to acquire uranium from other countries in Africa. Still, the White House says, those reports were not specific.

"Because of this lack of specificity, this reporting alone did not rise to the level of inclusion in a presidential speech. That said, the issue of Iraq's attempts to acquire uranium from abroad was not an element underpinning the judgment reached by most intelligence agencies that Iraq was reconstituting its nuclear weapons program," the statement said.

Sen. Carl Levin, the ranking member of the Armed Services Committee, says this issue reinforces the need for a formal inquiry -- why as late as the President's State of the Union address, the President was "still using information which the intelligence community knew was almost certainly false."

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A11420-2003Jul18.html
    White House Releases CIA Info on Iraq

By JOHN J. LUMPKIN
    The Associated Press
    Friday, July 18, 2003; 2:11 PM

WASHINGTON - An intelligence assessment by the CIA last October cites "compelling evidence" that Saddam Hussein was attempting to reconstitute a nuclear-weapons program, according to documents released Friday by the White House.

Mounting a campaign to counter criticism that it used flawed intelligence to justify war with Iraq, the White House made public excerpts of the intelligence community's October 2002 National Intelligence Estimate. That report helped shape now-challenged comments by President Bush in his State of the Union address that Iraq was attempting to buy uranium in Africa.

The report asserts that Baghdad "if left unchecked...probably will have a nuclear weapon during this decade."

It also cites unsubstantiated reports that Iraq was trying to buy uranium from three African countries: Niger, Somalia and "possibly" Congo.

The White House sought to bolster its case as U.S. officials said that documents alleging Iraq sought uranium from Africa were obtained months before Bush cited them in making his case for war. But intelligence analysts did not look at them closely enough to know they were forgeries until after Bush had made the claim, U.S. officials say.