1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bring me some tariffs!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Aug 27, 2017.

1. Buck Turgidson

Everyone knows Trump is an imbecile and a liar, but I'm genuinely curious when he continually repeats this complete falsehood:

Which is he being?

Deckard and FranchiseBlade like this.
  2. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Don't we just pay more for the goods? How does China "pay"?

3. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Even trump's own top economic adviser had to admit to fox news that china isn't paying for these... instead American consumers are paying via higher prices (though kudlow tried the "both sides" hedge)...

Kudlow's admission about who pays tariffs contradicts Trump
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/whit...on-china-over-tariffs-135959830--finance.html

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is it possible some people actually believed Trump and that's why they've been acting like everyone who correctly said the tariffs were a bad idea had somehow been shown up?

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

We, human, are all such freaking losers.

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Trump can market the "China pays" line since his base will buy it.

I suspect that Trump is unconcerned about what the truth actually is.

7. Buck Turgidson

I was just wondering to myself which is worse: does he not understand this or is he blatantly repeating bullsh!t. Can't be both here.

Deckard likes this.
  8. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Politics aside: these tariffs suck.

Deckard likes this.
  9. biff17

biff17 Member

Both?

Deckard likes this.
  10. biff17

biff17 Member

i think it can be both.

His lackeys tell him some convoluted reason why China is will eventually pay for it and Trump can talk himself into believing it while knowing it's not true.

Actually I think he just has no compunction about lying.

11. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Anyone want to take a bet on the inevitable insider trading accusations Trump cohorts are about to be caught red handed engaging in?

Deckard likes this.
  12. NewRoxFan

The Patriot Farmers take it on the chin, as usual...

GOP’s farm belt Senators back Trump as China takes aim at U.S. agriculture
    https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/13/gop...ump-as-china-takes-aim-at-us-agriculture.html

13. dmoneybangbang

The US is definitely paying for it short term.

14. Buck Turgidson

Fake News. It's not like he's admitted to market manipulation in the past.

Deckard likes this.
  15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Very well said, FB. I’ve been looking back over this thread at the replies from @Realjad, who is almost the only ardent trump supporter with the guts to defend what trump is doing with his “self-imposed” trade war. I’ll give the guy that. He’s repeating, almost verbatim, trump’s tweets in an effort to defend the indefensible. The others essentially are playing “duck and cover,” because they know they simply don’t have an argument that can defend trump’s actions and his blatant, outright lies in support of his huge tariff increases.

They are increases we are paying for. I heard an interview with a pecan grower in Georgia, the 3rd generation of his family producing pecans on that farm, shared with his brother. He said that 60% of his production is sold to China, or was. The previous 10% tariff increase hit them hard. He doesn’t know how they will survive another 25% increase on top of that. That they might survive a year. Maybe. They could lose everything. He said that when China began importing pecans, it was like a “gift.” One unexpected that had a big, positive impact on their profits. That the idea other countries could “make up the difference” by purchasing their product was simply untrue. That China was a unique purchaser for their crop. Anger in China at trump’s mad actions may very well lead to the country ending much of the imports they have been getting from the United States.

This is a disaster. When trump first raised tariffs, I said to be prepared to pay more for many items we use everyday, that interest rates would inevitably rise due to increasing inflation, that our deficit would increase. These things don’t happen overnight. It takes time for tariff increases, even of this magnitude, to filter down through the economy. That is all on its way. Mr. trump’s strongest supporters will be hit hard, but trump is hoping that his lies will keep them in train until after the 2020 election.

I think we will start to see an increasing number of Republicans in Congress and at the state level, even members of his cabinet, breaking with trump’s economic policies. Mr. trump’s lies, and that’s exactly what they are, won’t be a wand he waves around preventing disaster if this continues. The tragedy? There was no need for this. None. As you point out, the economy was strong before he took office. The gigantic tax cut, primarily benefiting the richest Americans, was unnecessary. As you also point out, the huge bailouts being paid to those hit hard by these tariffs (yet far from the only ones, because some won’t get these payments) are directly increasing our deficit by hundreds of billions of dollars. One may as well view the deficit explosion as dollars being printed that are devaluing our currency.

This is insane. So where are all the rest of trump’s supporters here? Why aren’t they defending the madness?
    Why? They are starting to figure out that just because trump “tweets” it, doesn’t mean that it is true.

FranchiseBlade and RayRay10 like this.
  16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It absolutely can. I'm sure...well, I'm hoping...someone in that administration has explained to him the basics. He knows what he's been told AND he's too f***ing stupid to understand it. So, he just keeps spouting the same lie.

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You know that Trump is inside trading and profiting off of the gyrations he creates in the markets​

18. NewRoxFan

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Mexico will pay for the wall.
    China will pay the tariffs.

I posit Trump knows better.

Deckard and dmoneybangbang like this.
  20. NewRoxFan