1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bring back JVG

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Verbal Christ, Nov 18, 2015.

1. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Love JVG. Les will never hire him but he was a great coach and people didn't get how good he was.

2. Marteen

Marteen Member

Lol people wanted him gone when he couldn't get out of the first round. Now people want him back. Honestly, you can forget about all of that since it came out today that Les only had a good relationship with Rudy T and McHale out of the Rockets coaches he's had.

3. mario_v

mario_v Member

Lol, you guys are blinded by your love of JVG the commentator.

JVG as a coach was awful. He deserved to get fired in 07. His teams underachieved, couldn't get past the first round.

Not to mention his offense was absolutely awful, ugly and boring. Lacked any offensive creativity and relied too much on his stars for his offensive shortcomings.

4. LAM

LAM Member

I totally agree!
    Anyone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I give all the credit to JVG for turning Yao into a true big man for the Rockets in the low post.
    He could have been coached into a jump shooting Rik Smits type player, but JVG went for it. His career might have lasted longer if his body took less of a beating, but we all ended up with legit hopes of going back to the finals. He was our monster.
    But, my best memory of JVG was hearing him LOUD and clear on a nationally televised game telling Phil Jackson to "**** OFF!" while arguing a call and wearing that smirk on his face. Zen master had no response for it. I thought, hell yeah, that's our coach, mf!

5. RockingRox

RockingRox Member

Nah. Dwight would like the hire, if he still likes some inside-out plays.

6. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

With T-Mac and Yao he had the Rox scoring in the 80's and 90's with regularity. Worse record than McHale. Fun guy, but I don't want low-scoring games and a number 7 seed.

7. GottaHaveHeart

JVG was a good coach just team just always injured and no offense

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

He'd be the perfect coach if only because he'd be able to go toe-to-toe with Harden and call him out on his BS if he had to.

The "lack of offense" is also a myth... when they had things rolling with Sura, T-mac, and Jon Barry, they were actually pretty damn uptempo (but were also able to run half-court sets when they had to, and to get Yao involved).

Of course he relied on his stars... he wasn't going to lose with David Wesley, Scott Padgett and Ryan Bowen shooting the ball.

That being said, I would question the mental fortitude of Dwight and Harden to be handle the intensity of a JVG/Thibs/SVG/Riley type of coach especially if things weren't going their way. Certain young players were willing to go all-out for them, some at the detriment of their bodies (Wade)... but I just don't see it with these two.

A Scott Brooks-type or in-house promotion is probably the only way this core nucleus will stay together.

9. rocketfan21

rocketfan21 Member

This is one of the silliest things I've ever read. Of course there are people that wanted him gone and there are people that want him back. That doesn't mean that those are all the same people. In other news, people voted for Obama and there are people who want Obama out of office.

10. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

JVG can motivate the lazy asses in our team to play some defense.

11. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Good. God. No.

12. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

People Forget the 3rd best players on those Tmac-Yao teams under JVG were Juwan Howard and Shane Battier...

13. deshen

deshen Member

I love JVG, but this is a bad idea. not fit with this team.

14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

God Yes. My favorite rocket head coach of all time. And a guy that isn't afraid to admit his mistakes, and learns from them.

Defense still wins championships!

#34 Aruba77, Nov 18, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2015
  15. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

I'd rather keep JVG in the broadcast booth entertaining us

16. PeppermintCandy

Great coach, but not sure if he will still have it after so many years away.
    Plus, would Howard's history with his brother Stan be an obstacle?

17. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

you're assuming he wants to coach this team in the first place. No one outside the Rockets org. wants to touch the team right now. Even Scottie Brooks rejected the offer.