1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bring back Best-of-5 series for the 1st Round?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Beavis Stiffler, Apr 24, 2015.

?

Best-of-5 in the first round?

1. yes

37 vote(s)
    40.2%
  2. no

55 vote(s)
    59.8%
  1. samtaylor

samtaylor Member

There is still a chance that we have SEVEN sweeps this year. And Spurs should win in 5 if they play like they did tonight, for the next two games...Although I think Portland wins tomorrow.

2. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

The playoffs are perfect and beautiful the way they are.

3. scottie brooks

Make season shorter, not playoffs. Why oP hate basketball so mush?

4. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

I love how this year's NBA playoffs were suppose to be "the most unpredictable year on NBA history"

5. JazzLakerHater

It's funny, this time last year we were watching quite possibly the greatest first round ever. Hou-Por, SAS-Dal, OKC-Mem, LAC-GSW were all great series. This year has been an absolute dud. Of course it helps that the Rockets are going to advance. :)

6. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

It has been unpredictable, because everyone predicted that there would be parity in the playoffs.

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

No. Because then some people would want it for 2nd round, 3rd round and Finals

8. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I'm surprised how many people are against this idea... I think both of the first two rounds should be five games. The playoffs drag on far too long with up to 28 games and two to three days between every game.

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am all for 42 minute minutes a game (opposed to 48 minutes without OT)..... first

Playoffs are not too much....compared to the regular season its nothing

10. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

I think the OP and some others are overreacting.

This year's first round is an aberration, with the potential of 7 series ending in a sweep.

Last year's first round was also an anomaly, with 5 out of the 8 first-round series going the distance.

Most years will be somewhere in-between. 1 or 2 series may end in a sweep. 1 or 2 series may go seven games. The rest will end in 5 or 6 games.

It's also worth pointing out that there are a few star players who missed a lot of games this year due to injuries.

It makes no business sense for the NBA to bring back the best-of-5. Anomalies happen...no need for knee-jerk reactions.

I would prefer a reduction in the number of regular season games, but there's almost zero chance of that happening. I would also like an overhaul in the way playoff teams are selected and seeded. Teams like the Nets have no business being in the playoffs.

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Also, I still think you can make a case for 4 teams in the west (Hou/Mem/LAC/SAS) to make the finals and 3 teams in the East(ATL/Chi/Cle) to make the finals.

Usually it's like 4 teams max people feel confident about winning it all. This year I feel like you can make a case for all those teams.

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

What I would favor is 3-0 being a skunk. No team has EVER come back from 0-3 and won a 7 game series. EVER. So why on earth play game 4?