1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bring AI To Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TManiAC, Jul 14, 2009.

1. TManiAC

TManiAC Member

Who else here thinks AI is worth the MLE?

With our two primary scoring options out indefinitely, I think its worth a shot to try and sign AI to an MLE contract. We don't have the personnel to play a half-court system so we had might as well utilize our strengths and play a run and gun system. AI can slide into either back-court court position depending on our matchups. I'm hoping we make a move for David Andersen, like the other post suggests for the following lineup:

PG: Aaron Brooks | Kyle Lowry
    SG: Allen Iverson | Chase Budinger | Jermaine Taylor
    SF: Trevor Ariza | Shane Battier | Tracy McGrady
    PF: Luis Scola | Carl Landry
    CN: David Andersen | Joey Dorsey | Yao Ming

I think we run with this squad until February, at which point we'll assess how TMac and Yao are coming along. We can then explore trading TMac or Shane depending on how we can address the needs of the time. If all is well, we'll have lots of options to make a serious run into the playoffs.

2. RocketManJosh

RocketManJosh Contributing Member

No thanks ... Of course I've never really been a big AI fan

3. machine

machine Member

Wow, lottery here we come.

4. StevieFlight3

StevieFlight3 Member

AI is a legend and one of the greatest to ever play the game but we should use this time period to develop our young talent. That wont happen with AI he will dominate the ball. I much rather let Aaron Brooks grow.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

Made the Nuggets worse? Check
    Made the Pistons worse? Check
    Make the Rockets worse than they're already going to be? Check

No thanks to me, myself, and I-verson.

1 person likes this.
  6. Illmatic

Illmatic Member

you ALREADY have a better AI on the rockets roster, an AI that goes to practice, and we want to get rid of him asap, so what makes you think we want a midget version of tmac to come and mess up our chemistry like he did in denver and detroit

7. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

miami wont even pay 2 mill for iverson.

iverson is the exact opposite of a player morey wants. he's extremely inefficient, almost as inefficient as t-mac, can't play defense, and is always complaining to the refs.

definte N-O to iverson. i would rather have stephon marbury.

8. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

I knew it was a matter of time before you made this thread. All I can say is, "not interested".

9. rockets > *

rockets > * Member

Why would we want to bring AI here when all he is going to do is prohibit the growth of brooks/lowry?

10. spaceage808

spaceage808 Member

took the words right out of my mouth. although i love AI, how the hell is AI going to make our teammates better in practice??

11. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

I wouldn't mind that way i can put him on the Rockets in 2k :D

But on a serious note. I wouldn't want him to. Notice how every team he has been on has gotten better once he left.

76ers- Check
    Nuggets- Check
    Pistons- Waiting

Iverson is good. Well was good. He needs to be on a team where he can be the guy and do whatever. Having him on the Rockets wouldn't be good because we have other scorers.

If you really look at it we have our own A.I in the making in Brooks. He did it in Oregon maybe he'll do it here when he grows up and gets more experience.

12. Rocketfanatic2

Signing Iverson would be a big loss for Houston. His first option is score, his second is shoot, and when all else fails, throw up junk at the rim. He wouldn't contribute to the team very much. Also, Aaron is just as good as him, and probably a better shooter. Iverson would be a chemistry killer. This team is better suited to waiting it out on our young guys, and letting them develop. I don't like the idea of signing Iverson. I can't believe that I used to like AI, I guess it's because I liked anyone who could score alot. :D

13. TManiAC

TManiAC Member

I don't think he "messed up" anything in Denver. He and Melo went into the playoffs. I won't deny that Billups is a better fit than AI, and I attribute most of Denver's success to the team's overall development, i.e. NeNe, Birdman, JR Smith, Dahntay Jones, Kenyon Martin's health, etc.

As for the Pistons, a lot of responsibility for managing the team dynamic on the floor is on the coach. Michael Curry was a rookie coach and you definitely need someone more tenured than Michael Curry to earn the respect of Allen Iverson.

I dunno, I've always been a fan of AI's talent and heart. Aside from his "practice" antics, not everyone can be Yao Ming and Shane Battier afterall, it's kinda sad to see such an accomplished player go on fire sale for the MLE when just a year and a half ago he was top 5 in scoring. If we would take a shot on Ron Artest, I think all arguments of chemistry should be moot, especially when our team is on the brink of irrelevance.

14. Big Shot Rob

Big Shot Rob Member

Absolutely not. A.I. still plays with the mentality of a go-to-guy, and he's going to demand the ball on the perimeter and attempt to take his man off the dribble or toss up a desperation three-pointer if he can't get to the rack. If you were agitated by Ron's tendency to throw up contested three-pointers, Iverson's going to infuriate you. He was a cancer on the Nuggets, and he only dug a deeper hole for the Pistons during his short stint there.

If we truly are in a rebuilding mode, then it would be ludicrous to sign a me-first guard at the tail-end of his career.

I'd much rather have the quicker, more elusive Aaron Brooks handling the ball in our up-tempo offense, and it definitely wouldn't make sense to put Iverson at shooting guard, and have 2 players under 6'0'' on the floor.

15. TMac4Life#1

TMac4Life#1 Member

Also i forgot to add that he only wants a one year deal so whats the worse that can happen. The team really needs someone who can score. Yao is done. Damn Foot. McGrady is out for who knows how long. Maybe a month or 2. Battier and Ariza are not go to guys. Scola, I doubt he can do it alone. Aaron Brooks is a question mark. The bench isn't that good.

Hell why not.

16. Landry92

Landry92 Member

We really really need AI .. all we are missing is a scorer a player who scores natuaraully and love being the leading man .. sign on a 1 year MLE .. who can defend he played for Larry Brown .. with us i can imagine him avereging 25 to 35 points no doubt

17. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Again, I ask, Can we have a moratorium on people starting the "Let's sign this has been player for cheap!" threads?

Do Not Want

18. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Fo' shizzle! (I wholeheartedly agree my African American brother!)

19. TManiAC

TManiAC Member

Wrong.

Nuggets were better after they got him. They won the northwest title for the first time in 18 years and made the playoffs twice and achieved the 3rd best record in franchise history with 50 wins in the 07-08 season. He definitely made the team better... but when the Nuggets got Billups... AND a healthy NeNe, Kenyon Martin and an emerging JR Smith and Chris Andersen... then it makes it seem the team got that much better after AI left.

Philly and Detroit, I think were coaching issues. Cheeks and Curry are both out of jobs and both were unsuccessful rookie coaching campaigns. AI put up 25.5 ppg while in Denver, why couldn't we use him here when we've lost close to 55 ppg by losing out on Artest, McGrady and Yao?

20. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

This.