1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brian Urlacher Announces Retirement

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by GRENDEL, May 22, 2013.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

After spending a lot of time this spring thinking about my NFL Future, I have made a decision to retire. Although I could continue playing, I’m not sure I would bring a level of performance or passion that’s up to my standards. When considering this, along with the fact that I could retire after a 13 year career wearing only one jersey for such a storied franchise, my decision became pretty clear. I want to thank all of the people in my life that helped me along the way. I will miss my teammates, my coaches, and the great Bears fans. I’m proud to say that I gave all of you everything I had every time I took the field. I will miss this great game, but I leave it with no regrets.

http://www.whosay.com/brianurlacher/photos/345346?wsref=tw

2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

This was the right decision for a fantastic player. It sucks how the Bears handled the situation with him at the end, but this is a lot better than him moving onto another team for a lackluster year only to call it quits unceremoniously. Let the Hall of Fame talk begin.

3. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I totally agree, I think this will be the best of a bad situation. Bears could have handled it a lot better and I don't think Brian every wanted to play elsewhere.

4. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Easily a top 7-10 Middle Linebacker ever.

5. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

No teams wanted him so he decided to retire rather than be pathetic like Terrell Owens crying for a team to sign him.

6. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This retirement seems pretty stupid -- he wants to play and still has the ability, but he felt disrespected by the Chicago offer. He got zero interest on the free agent market due to financial reasons so why doesn't he (Urlacher)/ Chicago just agree on the original deal?

He's obviously not the elite athlete he was a few years back, but he could still contribute significantly for the Bears next season.

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

According to, you know, Brain Urlacher, he just didn't have it in him to put in the work and effort for another team. He said on Mike & Mike this morning that he would have given it another go for Lovie Smith, but he didn't want to do it for another coaching staff. He apparently had multiple offers.

8. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Maybe the offer simply wasn't enough. You're asking a millionaire to spend time away from family and home, put his body through punishment, risk future physical and mental problems, adapt to a new coach, etc... there's a price on all of that. I wouldn't turn down retirement for a fraction of what I'm accustomed to making.