1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brian Shaw talks about ugly exit from Lakers thanks to incompetent management

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by GreatOne1978, Nov 1, 2011.

1. GreatOne1978

GreatOne1978 Member

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/20...shaw.lakers/index.html?eref=sihp&sct=hp_wr_a3

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

After the season ended, I always felt Shaw's only chance at a head coaching job was the Lakers.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't think it's Phil Jackson's fault people get scared of "triangle."

If anyone is to blame, I think it would be Jim Cleamons and K. Rambis, two Jackson assistants who got head coaching jobs, tried to teach the triangle to young teams, and ended up with terrible records and got fired. People get scared it would not translate based on these examples.

4. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've heard other coaches scoff in interviews that it the triangle isn't special, that Jordan, Shaq, and Kobe could make any offense look special.

I do think there is something to how the triple post offense provides a structure for floor balance, ball movement, off-ball movement and post play. Like any system, it needs players who fit it. With Clemons and Rambis and even when Chicago tried to force Tim Floyd to implement it, they lacked the post presence to pull it off.

5. sinobball

sinobball Member

They are both in China at the moment, as well as another ex-Laker assistant Dan Panaggio.

[​IMG]
    All 3 photos from the same place in China today.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

The triangle is easy to implement as long as you have a hall of fame superstar shooting guard. How hard is to get one of those?

7. ascaptjack

ascaptjack Member

lazenby Roland Lazenby
    If you're a Lakers fan and you're not worried about Jim Buss running the team, your first name is probably Pollyanna.

lazenby Roland Lazenby
    No question that Phil Jackson toyed mentally with Jim Buss. For Phil, it was a game of tiddlywinks.

lazenby Roland Lazenby
    Question is, what had Jim Buss ever done to earn Phil Jackson's respect?

lazenby Roland Lazenby
    Will Jim Buss move away from Kobe? Of course. Age will soon dictate that. Question is, will Buss make a smart move away from Kobe? Doubtful.

lazenby Roland Lazenby
    I don't think Jim Buss is an idiot or a bad person. But he isn't qualified to run the Lakers basketball operations which he's trying to do.

lazenby Roland Lazenby
    Will we soon see an Occupy Staples Center movement trying to stop Jim Buss, the 1 percenter, from running the Lakers in the ground?

lazenby Roland Lazenby
    No question Jeanie Buss would be 1 of the greatest owners in NBA history. She'd run the business+let the basketball folks do their jobs

8. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

The bolded is one of the most important things Lazenby mentioned. Jim and Jeanie don't see eye to eye and I'm pretty sure Jerry handing over the reins to Jim played a part in that. For Lakers haters, the next 2-3 seasons should be great(as they watch Kobe end his Lakers career and see Jim try to move away from Kobe) and the subsequent seasons should be EPIC (as Jim drags the franchise to new lows barring some Stern/Silver draft magic).

9. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

They dissed Shaw and co pretty bad. Phil Jackson was the only thing I liked abouyt the Lakers. Now there is absolutely nothing to like about the lakers team. I find my self hating them that much more as every season goes on.

10. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Lol. In order to run ANY offense you're going to need great players.

At least Shaw PLANNED on running a actual offense. They may be begging for him after they see what Mike Brown has planned for offense.

11. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Exactly, Shaw planned a TEAM offense, Mike Brown offensive plan: give the ball to kobe and try to score, have a question about it ask the assistant coaches.