1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brian Grant is on the block, we could get him..

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cmrockfan, Dec 22, 2001.

1. cmrockfan

cmrockfan Member

Riley wants a point guard. In my opinion, Moochie is not that much better than Brown. We could recall Colson, who is tearing up the CBA, and not hurt ourselves too much. Miami could get some cap room when Walt's contract expires, get their point guard, and a decent center for the East. We would get a very good young PF who could teach Mo Taylor how to pass <i>every</i> drug test. :D

Houston trades: Walt Williams $5,000,000 to Miami
    Houston trades: Moochie Norris $3,600,000 to Miami
    Houston trades: Jason Collier $1,280,040 to Miami
    TOTAL: $9,880,040

Miami trades: Brian Grant $10,009,688 to Houston
    TOTAL: $10,009,688

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Houston and Miami being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Houston and Miami had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You have been assigned Trade ID number 437706

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This is a good trade for us and possibly Miami, but what are the long term prospects. We just signed Mo Taylor, and have EG and KT at the 4 spot.

I think it makes us better now, but now is not really the issue anymore, wouldn't it be better to develop our young guys?

DaDakota

3. cmrockfan

cmrockfan Member

Since Eddie Jones and Brian Grant are on the block, we could do this-

Houston trades: Walt Williams $5,000,000 to Miami
    Houston trades: Moochie Norris $3,600,000 to Miami
    Houston trades: Cuttino Mobley $4,413,375 to Miami
    Houston trades: Jason Collier $1,280,040 to Miami
    Houston trades: Kelvin Cato $6,048,000 to Miami
    TOTAL: $20,341,415

Miami trades: Eddie Jones $10,080,000 to Houston
    Miami trades: Brian Grant $10,009,688 to Houston
    TOTAL: $20,089,688

TRADE ACCEPTED

You have been assigned Trade ID number 437714

How about a line up with

PG- Francis, Brown
    SG- Jones, Torres
    SF- Rice, Morris, Langhi
    PF- Grant, Thomas
    C- Griffin, Willis, FA

I like this (although I am sure nobody else does, and they wish that I would stay away from the Real GM site...lol)

4. cmrockfan

cmrockfan Member

I really think Eddie is our center of the future. To me, Eddie will be like a Sam Perkins who can play some serious defense.

5. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

cmrock,

I like that trade....would do it a NY minute! Miami would be insane to do it.

6. Woofer

Woofer Contributing Member

Miami said they didn't want an onerous contract in return and for Moochie's talent level, Moochie has a very onerous contract.

7. SteveFrancis3

SteveFrancis3 Contributing Member

If we were able to trade for Brian Grant, I think he would be able to play center effectively, since he is an enforcer inside with his strength, and defensive-minded and rebounding style of play. Although we would surely have to give up much more than Moochie, Collier and Walt to get him. I'm guessing Kenny Thomas + Moochie + Walt's expiring contract + Future Considerations would most likely be a part of any possible trade for Grant...If we could get him though, I wouldn't mind seeing Eddie play SF, and a team like this for next year:

C: Grant/Cato/Collier
    PF: Taylor/Draft Pick
    SF: Griffin/Rice/Morris
    SG: Mobley/Torres
    PG: Francis/Brown

This would weaken our bench up front, however, with KT gone, but I suppose our draft pick could be used there.

Meanwhile, Miami would get a little further in their MUCH NEEDED rebuilding process (saw a feature on Riley on ESPN, showing how Miami's record has gotten worse in each of the past 6 seasons) with a good young PF in KT, help at PG with Mooch, and future draft picks that will help them later on.

8. cmrockfan

cmrockfan Member

I think Brian Grant has been a big disappointment for Miami. They want a point guard, and a new start. Collier will be a decent center whose outside shot is important with the new rules.

9. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Having Brian Grant on the Rockets would thrill me! I have loved his game ever since that lockout season in Portland.

10. Sane

Sane Member

Brian Grant and next year's first rounder for Karl Malone and Amaechi or Jarron Collins?

Zo/Amaechi
    Malone/Ellis
    Jim Jackson/Gill/Ellis
    Jones/Gill/Jim Jackson
    Strickland/Carter

Ostertag/Collins
    Grant/whoever
    Donyell Marshall
    Russell/Stevenson
    Stockton/Crotty

11. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

So basically you are trading away our entire team.... :rolleyes:

12. Drewdog

'

Yeah and you think he would want to play the 5? No way... Brian Grant is a PF.

13. SteveFrancis3

SteveFrancis3 Contributing Member

Yeah and have you ever heard him clearly say "I will not play center under any circumstances!"? No? Oh yeah that's right, he's already done it many times before in Portland, backing up both Sabonis and Wallace, and starting at center in the many games Sabonis missed. Let's not forget Zo missing the whole season last year in Miami. As long as he isn't playing the Lakers (where he would get help from Taylor and Griffin), it wouldn't even make a difference.

14. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

On the contrary, Brian Grant has played and will always play his best when he's at the PF position. He is no more than an average (and more than likely a below average) center. All the teams he has played for intended for him to be a PF. They only stuck him in the center spot because their real centers were injured or (in certain games) foul trouble. And while he's played admirably in those situations, he didn't play as well as he did in the 1999 shortened season.

What is the point of getting a player that will have to play out of position? While the Rockets would benefit from Grant's rebounding and toughness, they would eventually suffer on the defensive end. Now if it was possible to trade MoT + others for Grant, I'd do that in a heartbeat. But I don't think that can happen (for a variety of reasons - rules against trading njured players, Pat Riley's likely disinterest in MoT, etc.).

Besides, I think Cato has made real strides this season. He's consistently grabbing offensive rebounds and has begun to strengthen his defensive play. He's not the best center in the league but he's a better center than Brian Grant.

15. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I don't think Riley want another backup. He wlready have 1 in Carter and getting another in Norris would do him any good. Actually Grant played center very well all of last yr until Zo came back. Just because they're losing like us doesn't mean he's going to help us out any.

16. barbourdg

barbourdg Contributing Member

HERE IS THE TRADE OF THE CENTURY, FOR THE ROCKETS:

Rockets trade Scottie Pippen & Matt Maloney to Portland for:

Jeramine O'Neil
    Brian Grant
    Brian Shaw
    Walt Williams

Portland wants Scottie Pippen bad, and would be thrilled to trade us with none of their starters in this package.

17. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I'm not sure that scenario is the best the Heat could get for Brian Grant. My favorite part is this, which no one else caught I guess:

This was of course in reference to Collier.

#17 TheFreak, Dec 22, 2001
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2001
  18. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

For one thing, PF is one of the last positions we need to add depth to, unless we unload KT to Miami.

Another thing, Miami would be able to get a much better player than the heap of dung that we would send them, if it doesn't include Francis/Mobley/Griffin.

I am a huge Grant fan, but I don't think he matches up well with the PF's in the West. He's a hard blue-collar worker inside, which is what the Rockets need, but he has a hell of a time matching up physically with the tremendously athletic PFs like Garnett, Wallace, McDyess, and Webber. Part of the reason Grant wanted to leave Por, was to play in the East, away from the aforementioned PFs.

19. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

Grant is a bit overrated in my opinion. At least his contract is... it was close to like a maximum deal for a pretty good PF.. not worth it at all. at least walt's contract ends soon. Moochie's is somewhat tradeable if that is what the team wanted. but Grant has a pretty much untradeable contract.

20. Drewdog

Have you been hitting the crack pipe again? So just because he has logged some time BACKING UP players at the 5, and filled in for INJURED players means that he WANTS to play center? ROTFLMFAO!!!!! No way in hell Grant would want to come to the Rockets to play the 5. You are having one serious pipe dream if you think that will ever happen. We already have PLENTY of options at PF (especially when Mo T comes back) and we dont need another center (which he would NEVER play EFFECTIVELY). Personally I saw him play against the Rockets a few weekends ago, and I wasn't overly impressed with his game. I think he plays tough, but I dont think he is anything that we need to pursue.

#20 Drewdog, Dec 23, 2001
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2001