1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brian Cushing's Status (Torn LCL and break)

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by BleedsRocketRed, Oct 20, 2013.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Actually that is GREAT news, the main ligaments are good, and a fibula is a non weight bearing bone.

DD

2. SevenMinuteAbs

Can you list all the significant injuries that Cush has had since he's been here?

3. loveofthegame44

Anyone else looking at that play think why didn't he jump over the guy going at his knees. I thought it looked strange that he went full speed into the guy.

4. ynelilvs99

ynelilvs99 Member

3 MONTHS WILL FLY BY

GOOD LUCK CUSH!!

5. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Most likely he was looking at Smith then he noticed Charles when it was too late.

6. Scolandry

Scolandry Member

I hate feeling happy about this cause it didn't end up being a serious injury but at the same time he's our most important defensive player out there. Really going to miss watching him play. Praying a speedy recovery for you Cush!

7. mick fry

mick fry Member

Not hardly, watts the best defensive player in the league.

8. Summer Song Giver

AAAAARRRRGGGGHHHH CUSH SMASH ROID RAGE

9. Do_Not_Be_Alarm

I hope Cushing considers taking Roids to help with the recovery. That's what steroids are intended for;)

10. shawn786

shawn786 Member

11. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I know you weren't talking to me, but its not complicated.

He's had two major ligament tears that will make him miss 20 regular season games. He's had concussions that have taken him out of games. And not an injury, but of course the steroid punishment.

This is his 5th year. Out of a possible 80 games that he should have played in based on talent, he will have played in 56, or 70%.

I know there's been a lot of back in forth in this thread. I admit to not being nearly as up on football contracts and GMs as basketball. Would DRose have gotten a max contract extension this past offseason if that was when the timing lined up? I'd suspect so. Younger player, have to keep them, max is what they deserve, and all indications are they will be back as healthy as every.

That said, football isn't basketball, and Cushing's impact isn't nearly what DRose's is to a team. On its surface, it seems a little folly to lock up a player to a contract coming of a major injury in a sport where injuries happen often, when the probability of signing him to a very similar contract the next offseason after seeing how the injured knee and the player's performance holds up would be high.

I can see arguments either way. It is a little bit of Monday morning quarterbacking, but that's how things are judged in real life... on results. You can't fully judge whether something was a good move until you see the results. So, in retrospect, it seems to have been a move that (i) wasn't absolutely necessary (all the articles, etc. surrounding the contract make it clear Cushing and his agents were pushing to get something done at least a little more than the Texans were pushing for it), and (ii) was probably a bit overpaid in any case... certainly no "coming off major injury" discount.