1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brewer hit 19-25 threes in Rocket workout

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Clutch, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. thetennisyao

thetennisyao Member

uhh, i still don't like him. :rolleyes:

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

How will he shoot 3s, as well as play the game, while in an actual game?

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

ha ha, the infamous shooting drill. I thought that was gone with Rudy and Joe Ash? (and boki, mirsad, collier (RIP) and Langhi, who all rode it to a payday). Guess not.

5. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I kind of like Brewer. Whatever his shooting mechanics, they can't be worse than Marion's.

6. JaWindex

JaWindex Contributing Member

I still hope we dont get him :p

7. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

I would bet that any of the guard prospects could shoot that well in a drill.

8. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I thought Langhi hit 23 of 25? Or was that Boki?

9. r-fan-since-81

r-fan-since-81 Contributing Member

Boki!

10. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

I'm sensing same hate (or dislike, at least) for Ronnie in this thread and I don't understand it. His weaknesses are no more of a red flag than those of any other player we'd take at #8. The bottom line is that the guy has size and athleticism, and he can play all three backcourt positions on offense and defense. The major knock on the guy is his shooting form, more so than his shooting percentages, which are actually beyond acceptable.

So I have to ask...why wouldn't someone want this guy at #8?

11. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I'll take him at 8 any time

probably before redick, but if carney, roy or even bargnani are available I would not wait a second to pick one of them...

12. ClutchCityReturns

Personally, I feel this way...

Roy > Brewer > Carney > Redick

Unfortunately I'm not optimistic that Roy will fall to us, and there's no way on God's green earth that Bargnani is there at #8. I'll bet both my testicles on that.

13. Outlier

Outlier Member

I don't understand either... is it because of how he looks?

14. ClutchCityReturns

You mean black? :eek:

Just kidding.

Really though...what did you mean?

15. Like A Breath

Like A Breath Member

Carney is a better shooter, far more athletic, and a better finisher. The same goes for Rudy Gay.

Ronnie Brewer needs to dominate the ball to be at his best and will not be able to play PG in the NBA. His 3 point shooting was erratic and I still question his range even after a shooting drill that seemingly proves nothing.

Call me a hater, but I think those first two guys are just better for the Rockets.

16. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

brewer is not a good shooter. don't let a guy standing there on the 3 point line with no defense and all the time in the world, fool you into thinking someone can shoot. it is a PRACTICE drill, not a game drill.

however, i do like brewer for everything else he does. he reminds of a better ball-handling and passing josh howard. he can impact the game on both ends of the floor.

obviously, we need some shooting but i really wouldn't be upset if we chose brewer over carney. brewer is more versatile and consistent.

17. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Mirsad Turkcan also drained a sh*tload of 3's in his workout.

18. ClutchCityReturns

I would just like to clarify that I'm not claiming Brewer to be a good shooter from this workout.

I post on another message board where one of the few Rockets fans is also a University of Arkansas student and has basically seen Ronnie play every game for the past 3 years. You have to admit, that's probably more than anyone in the Rockets front office, and it's certainly more than the people running mock draft sites. That said, this poster gets very defensive when someone (myself included) brings up Ronnie's shooting (in)abilities. He says that people vastly over-emphasize that aspect of his game due to his form and that his shooting is NOT particularly bad at all. I don't know about you, but I'm inclined to believe he knows a little bit about the kid.

Besides, compare Brewer's shooting %'s with Carney, if you will. If anything, it's Brewer who has been more impressive over the past couple of years, which is all I'm really concerned with since it's not uncommon for a player to take some time to adjust when forced to play big minutes as a freshman.

19. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I don't think it's the effectiveness of his shot as much as the ugly form, which he can't do too much about given his elbow problem ... I'm sure scouts are asking how effective he will be getting his shot off in the pros.

As far as defense goes, if you watch him in this highlight clip...
    http://www.clutchfans.net/nbadraft/profiles/2006/ronnie_brewer/?fuseaction=video&VideoID=7

... you can see he has real long arms and could potentially become a real defensive gem, I would think.

20. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

That is very interesting news. I have never watched Brewer play but after reading his scouting report the only thing I didn't like was their comments about his shooting mechanics. I imagine I can get over that if he is consistent despite his flawed mechanics.