1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brett Wallace's Future with the 'stros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by MadMax, Nov 17, 2011.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I read yesterday that Mills says Lee is the first baseman next year for the Astros. I immediately assumed that meant they'd move Wallace....see below.

http://www.astroscounty.com/2011/11...m_campaign=Feed:+AstrosCounty+(Astros+County)

Might Brett Wallace get moved?
    We're four and a half months away from Opening Day, and I'm already pissed about the lineup. Why? Because ESPN's Jim Bowden says that (Insider-only) Carlos Lee is the starting first baseman for 2012.

What does it mean for Brett Wallace? For Bowden, it means that it opens up a trade with the Indians - who are not convinced that Matt LaPorta (the big prospect Cleveland got from Milwaukee in the Sabathia trade) will hit. Sound familiar?

2. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I wouldn't be surprised if he was moved since Singleton has got to be considered the first baseman of the future... and Wallace hasn't been that impressive. High strikeouts, no power, poor batting average. He's only 25 and maybe that's still a factor, but I don't think you can bank on that guy taking a spot that is as potentially rich as 1B.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I would agree, Clutch. Though maybe he's a DH waiting to happen. [vomit smilie]

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

LOL... I've been hacked off by this AL nonsense and didn't even think about the DH spot for the Astros. Good call -- though I would hope they can do better than that ... or he gets a lot better.

5. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I don't know.. Carlos Lee seems like the logical choice for DH and Wallace's value is at an all time low. Yeah, we have some talent in the rank and file, but they aren't prime time ready. I would like to see Wallace get one more shot with the eye on it improving his trade value.

I mean, what are you going to get for him now? I guess you could package him with towles and trade them for some other teams AAAA players.

6. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I just don't get where his power has gone. He's emotionless on the field. There's no aggression. He looks like a lost rookie. Maybe it's the addition of muscle slowing his bat speed (Richard Hidalgo). Where's the power?

7. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Agreed. Carlos seems like a the DH candidate, unless they are afraid the inactivity of sitting in the dugout will cause him to balloon up even bigger.

8. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Why would we re-sign Carlos Lee?

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

No future here. Just another **** up by the inept Eddy Wade.

10. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Lee's contract is up after next year and we don't move leagues until 2013. Lee is not even going to be an option.

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Wallace may start next year in AAA? His swing needs fixin' and he can play everyday in AAA, even against lefties.

12. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

didn't realize the move wasn't effective until 2013.

with that in mind, screw wallace.

13. edwardc

edwardc Member

Lets not forget about Kody Hinze he's a power hitting firstbaseman he's only 24

14. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

There has been a lot of talk about this, but apparently due to his body shape and mechanics he has a hole in his swing that a lot of scouts are saying he's unlikely to be able to correct.

Major league pitchers are good enough to exploit it on the regular.

15. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Lee certainly won't be around to be the DH in 2013.

I certainly wouldn't mind if the Astros moved Wallace because he hasn't been good, but I'm just not sure what his value is at this point.

His status as a prospect was already all but gone when the Astros traded for him and last season did nothing to help his stock.

16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

17. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

It has been reported that Wallace wont take advice from anyone regarding his swing. I believe bagwell was trying to get him to use his tighs a Lot more, which would give him more of a power swing, but that didn't happen. I see Wallace more of a filler until singleton is ready in 2013. He doesnt have the power to be a DH, so that's out of the question

18. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Well in the first month of the season, he was a hitting machine. I believe he hit for a batting average of .380. That's really good, he cooled down considerably and was in a huge hitting slump in the end of the season. Yeah I agree he had no power, but he did have a nice double power, just no homerun power

19. Bear_Bryant

Bear_Bryant Member

it was until mid june I believe. Then he just couldn't hit. I read yesterday that he got cut by the Dominican team he was on.

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member