1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brett Wallace

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by htownbball, Sep 27, 2013.

1. htownbball

htownbball Member

Given that we probably won't be competitive next year, do you give him 1 full year in the bigs or has he shown that he just can't hit major league pitching? He's shown power this year, but the strikeouts, lack of walks, and overall lack of hitting are killing him. Still got potential in there, or is he done?

2. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Ship has sailed.

3. MykTek

MykTek Member

he has no place to play everyday... 1st is Chris Carter's job... major power but low batting avg .... 3rd is taken by Matt Dominguez (I think thats his last name), he showed about 250 avg and like 20 HR power.... so his only option is DH and I wouldn't be surprised we go out and buy another veteran rental and try to flip him for something before the deadline.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Very early in the season, I said, "I've seen all I need to see."

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I hope Luhnow didn't see the same thing in Springer that he has apparently realized with Wallace... a seemingly polished minor league player that can't hack it.

6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

He'll make the roster until Singleton gets called up sometime next season.

7. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Wallace was essential in our quest for 1-1 this year. next year, he's worthless to us.

bring in a free agent at 1B until Singleton can lose weight and figure out how to hit again

8. Progs

Progs Member

It is kinda of dissapointing how Siglenton has fallen. A year ago he was the Stros number one prospect.

9. Buck Turgidson

Chris Carter has absolutely zero business "playing" a "position" that requires manual interaction with a baseball.

10. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

but then he got high, but then he got high, but then he got hiiiiiiigh

doobedoobdoobdoobdoob

11. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I was gonna hit the ball, but then I got high. Was gonna hit a hr tonight, but then I got high

12. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Brett Wallace has proven he's a AAA+ elite player. And a dime a dozen MLB hitter.

Though, Wallace as a backup for 1B and 3B would make some sense. He plays good defense. But expecting him to turn the corner offensively is delusional.

However, I'd expect that the Astros will get some free agents to plug holes. And 1st Base is a hole in the line up at offense with Wallace and at defense with Carter. And both of these guys are 200+ strike out a year players.

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Didn't Wallace drop three or four pop flies this year? Not that anyone could watch of course.

14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He's not good defensively.

I've seen enough to say trade him. Maybe he pulls a Chris Davis and finally puts it together somewhere else, but I'll take that chance.

15. Zacatecas

Zacatecas Member

Thanks for the update about Wallace's defense. And yes you are right, it's hard to make an assesment when you watch a game here and there. It might have been my luck I watched the games were Wallace snagged a line drive that looked pretty good defensively.

16. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Give him a few years to develop

17. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Problem is, the Astros have given him 4 years to develop.