1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brett Myers just got a lot more valuable...

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jaxwithanx, May 4, 2012.

1. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

1 person likes this.
  2. cardpire

cardpire Member

send em wandy and brett.

how depressing would it be as a yankees fan to go from mariano rivera to brett myers?

3. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Agree.

We still won't get Banuelos or Betances.

4. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

They have two very solid closer candidates already in David Robertson and Rafael Soriano.

I think they will be fine at that spot... not as good as having Rivera, obviously, but they'll still be solid in the 9th.

5. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

pretty sure the yankees are interested in a lot more than being "solid."

6. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Well then they shouldn't have had their star closer shagging balls in the OF. Solid's about as good as they're going to get at this point.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

David Robertson is an elite reliever. I highly doubt the Yankees would prefer Myers closing for them over Robertson.

8. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Yup. Every time I think the baseball world has made progress in understanding the archaic nature of the "closer" label, something like this happens and people freak out because a perfectly elite reliever isn't high in the "saves" column.

That said, moving Robertson to closer does thin out the NYY bullpen a bit, so I could see them looking to add depth (and Myers could be a candidate). But it's nowhere near the desperation situation that folks are making it out to be.

9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He walks too many guys for me to feel safe about him.

10. justtxyank

Phil Hughes will likely be moved to the bullpen when Pettitte gets called up in a week or so. That will be the first bullpen option. David Aardsma is also allegedly going to be ready to pitch in the summer.

They may trade for a bullpen arm down the stretch (feels like they do every year) but if I'm an Astro fan I would avoid getting excited about the idea of trading Myers to the Yankees for something worthwhile.

11. justtxyank

He's managed it pretty well thus far in his career (last year being dominant) and thus far this year he's cut the walks down significantly while increasing his strikeout rate. The kid is a beast.

12. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

Every team in baseball has several guys in their system that could "potentially close games." But a team like the Yankees are probably the least likely to test out guys in the playoffs. So if no one steps to the plate between now and the trade deadline, you'd be a fool to think the Yankees wouldn't be interested.

And regardless, even if they aren't interested in Myers. I'd be willing to bet money they will be interested in a veteran closer at some point this year....and that means the market just got tighter, one way or another. So Myers value still goes up.

Baseball 201 - a team doesn't have to specifically only want your player to have his value go up

13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If they have to move a guy from their relief staff to become a new closer, they may want to put on another reliever.

Myers could be just as affective as a set up guy.

14. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

He's done it for 20 years. It's his routine.

15. bustanut82

bustanut82 Member

7 Saves 1.04 ERA for Brett Myers so far. If he can keep this up until the all-star break or so, he could be worth a few good prospects. I would wait and see if this team can keep playing well like they have of late. Sell when high like Mark Melancon because that trade netted us our starting shortstop. Thank goodness we rid of Barmes(.179 2HRs 5RBIs) cuz hes stinking it up by the way.

16. moonsh0t

moonsh0t Member

http://insider.espn.go.com/blog/the-gms-office/post?id=3955

17. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

Yep, but I highly doubt we would deal the Yankees both. The odds are we'd net more in two separate deals...but ESPN of course will always be looking at things from only the side of the Cubs, Red Sox or Yankees when discussing.

The absolute best thing that can happen is this team continue to play well enough to stay near .500....competitive ball clubs net more in trades. And if we stay even remotely near the playoff hunt we will get better value considering it now becomes a situation where they are having to try and convince us with players to give up on our season.

I know some probably think that if we stay competitive we should keep things as they are and go for it. But we need a solid mid-rotation starter and true ace prospect candidate over a closer. Closers are luxuries for teams that know they can be in the playoffs.

18. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

19. cardpire

cardpire Member

quantity-wise, yes. quality-wise, perhaps not.

i wouldn't get too greedy (and i doubt they will) with a trade involving myers. he went from very trade-able, to absolutely untrade-able, to (in this current window) trade-able again. if "throwing him in" in a wandy package nets us a premium prospect(s), dump him on in there. luhnow will have still gotten value out of a botched situation by the prior regime.

20. jaxwithanx

jaxwithanx Member

Most definitely. If Myers is needed to land the prospect we want, then you go for the quality. But Wandy alone should be enough to land a top prospect from the Yankees, provided he keeps pitching how he is.

It seems like there are so many ups and downs with him, that I think Astros fans sort of undervalue him, but if you look at the numbers, he has actually been one of the top lefties in the league for a while now.

Not to mention, while the Yankees have got better about just shipping out prospects for poor value - Wandy is good, Wandy is young, and Wandy is actually on a good contract. Three things, in combination, the Yankees rarely come across. When it comes down to the deadline and things fall into place, they will hopefully have to have him.