1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brent Price: Refresh my memory please

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FishBulb913, Jul 6, 2009.

1. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

When I get bored I look up stats from players I forgot about lol.

And I came across Brent Price and saw that he played 25 games for us in 96-97, 72 97-98, and 40 in 98-99.

But since I was about 9 years old when he signed with us, I don't remember the details of his stint here.

So I have a few questions.

1. I remember him having a horrible injury, was it after those 25 games that 1st year or was it like he played 12, got hurt, came back for 13 later on?

2. It looks like he had a promising year the year before we got him. Was he brought in to be the starting point?

3. Did he ever look like he had that capability for us?

Also I figure it would be a nice change for some of us to take a break from speculation on the future and speculate on what could of been. :D

2. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I think he is still on our payroll.

3. wrath_of_khan

wrath_of_khan Contributing Member

The guy was snakebit. He was supposed to be a longterm solution at PG but he kept blowing out ACLs.

He was great in Washington the year before we got him. I saw a lot of Bullets games that year.

4. TreP3

TreP3 Contributing Member

5. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

He couldn't stay healthy. Not very quick, good shooter, decent decision maker, poor defender. It's been a decade, but that's what I remember about him. Luckily we replaced him with a total opposite, Matt maloney :rolleyes:

6. engr chris

engr chris Member

I just remember him backing up Maloney. Two good shooters with no playmaking skills. When was the last time we had a pure PG? lol

7. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Rudy loved B. Price. He was a tough lil guy. He would "drive" to the basket and scrap for loose balls. I remember he had a semi great shooters touch too.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

the rockets signed him to an absurdly long term deal (though not horribly expensive per year - 7 years $18mm) based off of one season of moderate success in washington . . . he was in and out of the lineup with injuries and never really got untracked.

9. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

Price was signed during the year of the Barkley trade. If I remember right that was the year Kevin Willis joined the team too. It was a pity that Brent never showed his real playing self due to injuries. The season before his transfer to the Rockets, He had a great shooting percentage in the 3pt area for Washington.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I rooted very hard for brent, he was just like his brother, very efficient. just couldn't stay healthy.

11. CHI

CHI Contributing Member

Brent Price was supposed to be the answer to our PG troubles, but he blew out his knee in the preseason, and was replaced by Maloney.

At the time, we were still utilising the inside-out game with Hakeem and Charles... so he was thought to be a perfect fit.

Price was never the same after his injury. He was actually a pretty decent player before it.

12. FishBulb913

Ahh Matt Maloney, the worst 2-year starter in franchise history?

And to answer your question, I can't recall lol, I was just looking at it, and I think Cuttino Mobley was our starting PG in the strike shortened year haha, and that was as a 2nd round rookie on a veteran team.

The lineup I believe was
    PG-Mobley
    SG-Dickerson
    SF-Pippen
    PF-Barkley
    C-Olajuwon

And then the next year (1999-2000) was the start of the Steve Francis Era. And in that season, we were plagued by injuries and had 14 different players start.

1999-2000 Starters ranked from most points scored over the season to least: Steve Francis, Cuttino Mobley, Shandon Anderson, Walt Williams, Kenny Thomas, Kelvin Cato, Hakeem Olajuwon, Carlos Rogers, Bryce Drew, Matt Bullard, Charles Barkley, Anthony Miller, Thomas Hamilton, and Devin Gray.

13. ABtheTerrorist

If I recall correctly, there was a time he came back from an injury,and very soon afterwards,maybe the next game, he broke his arm diving after a ball out of bounds.

Anybody remember that?

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

yeah, I seem to remember something like that.

15. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

He was a gamble that didn't pay off. As good a character guy as you'd ever find, all about team, good distributor and shooter. Below average defense. He was definitely brought in to start after he caused a minor PG controversy in Washington.

As said, he just couldn't stay healthy (at all during his career).

I liked having him on board, but that's mainly because I was a HUGE fan of Mark.

Evan

16. Rocket86

Rocket86 Member

If I am not mistaken, The Rockets decided on Brent Price when they could have had Tim Hardaway that year.

17. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

If I remember right, he was signed to be our PG the year after Kenny Smith left and Cassell was sent off on the deal with Horry for Barkley (Brown and Bryant too).

Brent was to be our starting PG, but broke his wrist diving for a ball in a preseason game. I also believe the 7 year, 18 mil was for Maloney?

Either way, he was a decent PG to my knowledge that just couldn't stay healthy. That seems to be our curse for awhile.

18. Matt Maloney

Matt Maloney Member

Brent Price was no Bryce Drew, thats for sure

19. FishBulb913

But thats not fair, I mean it's hard to live up to the legend that is Bryce Drew.

20. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I see Brent Price around Enid, Oklahoma. (Very rarely, not sure if I've seen him the last 2 years.)

No pictures though. But... Yup, that's my claim to fame. (Shame about his knees.)