1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BREAKING: Yao Ming is Retiring

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Im Just Sayin, Jul 8, 2011.

1. rvpals

rvpals Member

I'm sad by the news. Such a classy person and great player. Unfortunately, his body is just too big to handle the stress of seasons and offseason works. One of the most professional, humble athlete, dedicated to the team and works very hard.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Wojnarowski/Yahoo Sports: Yao leaves lasting impact on NBA

3. verti89

verti89 Member

Good game sir, it was a pleasure while it lasted. Best of lucky to you in your future.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

What a depressing moment. :-(-

5. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It's one of the saddest days in Houston Rockets history. Yao Ming will always be a hero to me. If he had been healthy,we could have done much better over the years. He could have been a big part towards a championship,if he had a true superstar and a strong surrounding cast along with him.

I wish him and his family, best wishes for the future. I hope he will remain associated with the Rockets some time down the line. He can become a big man coach with some experience.

6. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Anyone want to start a favorite Yao move thread, with poll? The behind the back dribble against Portland should be one choice....what else? the ratliff dunk comes to mind, but that's not really a "move". It's been so long i can't even recall what Yao has done :(

7. VanityHalfBlack

Damn this one hurts like hell.... Is this a sign for good fortune to come, please....

8. qiankun

qiankun Contributing Member

Have been watching Yao playing ever since his first pro game with Shanghai Sharks. Thanks for all the joys and inspirations you brought, on court and off court. Best wishes to you and your family!

9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

3 years ago, as in July 2008?

10. J.R.

J.R. Member

Mannix: Yao's legacy tough to quantify

11. cookies18

cookies18 Member

He is the reason why I got into Basketball and the Rockets. Im gonna miss the Big Man. As an Asian, this hurts a lot. :(

12. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

I feel sad today.

Sad that he had to retire and sad that we got another 5-7 years of probably not seeing another championship around here.

Damn good man...what could of been.....

13. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

Man this is so sad.

14. jocar

jocar Member

What a damn shame. Most skilled center the league has seen since the Dream. This guy deserved a ring.
    On to greener rice fields.. GL whatever you do Yao, u'll always be an H-town Rocket to me!

15. Hou_rox

Hou_rox Member

I'll miss the big fella even more when they show him on the big screen at Rockets' games and everyone cheers.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Updated story with some quotes from current/former Rockets and Shaq.

17. Zfan

Zfan Member

Great player retired. Finally we have something to talk about in this lockout season.

18. delta69er

delta69er Member

I remember myself in 2002, a 10 year old Chinese kid who had just moved to Houston after living the first 7 years of my life in Shanghai, China, when I found out that Yao Ming was drafted #1 by the Houston Rockets. This man not only gave me inspiration to get on the basketball court, but his work ethic to this day impacts the way I live my life. To Yao, I give the ultimate props as a basketball player, a professional, and ultimately, as a genuinely great human being.

19. hust

hust Member

thx for all the best memories, YAO

20. tmac

tmac Contributing Member

Sad news for someone who was a great player and a likable guy. The best at his position when healthy, no doubt.