1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

BREAKING: Yao has stress fracture in left ankle (related to previous injury)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Dec 16, 2010.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

You mean to tell me none of you saw this coming??!!! I sure did. Should have traded him this offseason. Next up, Yao out for remainder of season.

2. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Guess it if happens it happens but is a clear sign to steer the ship elsewhere....

3. herro

herro Member

Timetable for his retirement?

Imminent.

4. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

17 million disabled player exception?

5. ABrooks0

ABrooks0 Member

yes...We DO IT FOR YAO!!! We going to MAKE THE PLAY OFFS! We going to WIN! And we going to make the big man proud. He's been good to us..come on Rockets, it's time for you guys to play for the big man..Rep him...

6. Stepping Razor

It all makes sense now. Thats why he wasn't cleared to come back on the 7th vs Detroit! I knew something strange was going on, Yao was even venting his frustrations on why he wasn't cleared to come back. Make sense now..time to find our new corner-stone Center (or player). It was nice Yao, but time for you to retire. :eek:

7. dreamrockets

dreamrockets Member

8. Damion Laverne

Iggy here we come!

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I even recall telling you all in another thread that this was going to be Yao's last season. I'm so sick of this Yao crap, i could throw up!!

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

his comments about being ready to play just a couple of days ago make no sense to me.

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

You are an idiot and should be banned.

1 person likes this.
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Is it related or not: The Chronicle says it is in the ankle not the foot:

"Rockets center Yao Ming’s comeback suffered another devastating setback with a stress fracture found Thursday morning in his left ankle.

The injury is not in the same area as the previous stress fracture, but it is a major setback.

Tests taken after his Nov. 10 sprained ankle and subsequently did not show the injury.

Yao had said in the offseason that he would consider retirement if he had been unable to stay healthy.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/7342510.html

DD

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Time to move on. Hate to say this is probably the best thing for the organization, but at the same time, it makes me a little sick. He's such a talent and such a good guy.

Side note: Listening to 610 right now. Josh What's His Face agrees with the "time to move on" part; but sometimes I just want to slap the dude. Obviously they brought him in to be the snarky young semi-controversial dude among the middle-aged corporate butt-kissers that serve as their other announcers. But I don't attach the word "bust" to Yao.

"Bust", to me, is a player with high expectations who doesn't live up to them because he sucks. Yao does not suck. It sucks that he is/was so injury prone.

14. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

In another Feigen tweet, I believe he said it was related to the prior injury.

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I think it's the warrior in him. He really wants to go out and play. Too bad his body doesn't seem to be able to hold up...which might or might not have to do with how well the Rockets' medical staff treated him. A stress fracture should not occur during rehabilitation.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

does it really matter? foot coming off a stress fracture....playing on limited minutes after a season off due to recovery...injures ankle..in rehab for ankle gets stress fracture in ankle.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Too early to say, but he was a number 1 pick........no need to go there now.....

Doesn't matter to me, but it may matter to the Rocket's and their thinking......if you know what I mean....

DD

18. vince

vince Member

Well, I like Yao. He could have been a contender, but his size and body type made him prone to injury. And never

He proved to be a solid NBA player when healthy.

19. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Wow ...Never saw it comin ....This isn't a tragedy except to Les!!! More money more prblems

20. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

It's over in my book. The frame is too much for the bones in the lower leg and foot. Writing is on the wall. I think it is in his best interest to take medical retirement now.

For the Rockets, they can play out the string if they'd like, but I'm ready for a teardown. I'd try and keep Martin and Scola, maybe the rookie deal guys for value, but the rest can go for picks and TEs.

Definitely sell Brooks while you still can. Give Battier to a contender. Flip Jeffries for a pick if possible, or attach him with Brooks to help get a good player at a higher salary.

*sigh*