1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Breaking: Trump's Wall

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Dec 18, 2018.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

3. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

According to CNN (keep the source in mind) the White House is drafting a proclamation to declare a national emergency along the southern border, which includes $7 billion in potential funds for a border wall.

White House preparing national emergency order - includes $7 billion for the wall

The White House is preparing a draft proclamation for President Donald Trump to declare a national emergency along the southern border and has identified more than $7 billion in potential funds for his signature border wall should he go that route, according to internal documents reviewed by CNN.

According to options being considered, the administration could pull: $681 million from Treasury forfeiture funds, $3.6 billion in military construction, $3 billion in Pentagon civil works funds, and $200 million in Department of Homeland Security funds, the official said.

{More at the link}​

It should be obvious after the two defeated proposals in the Senate today that Congress has reached an impasse. We have seen the caravans coming up from Central America and the Democrats and the media all but rooting them on to come on in.

This must stop. Ideally, Congress would stop the obstruction and allow the border wall construction to begin. When Obama was president, the Republicans gave him his funding for Obamacare and his other pet issues when the Republicans had the votes to block it. Now the Democrats are not willing to compromise in the same way.

To use Obama's words, "We cannot wait". OK then. Obama set the precedent. Between the emergency at the Southern border and this partial government shutdown that does not have an end in sight, it is necessary for someone to end this. Now is the time.

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was told that the wall was super effective. That even if immigrants had a ladder it would slow them down so much they would be apprehended.

5. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It doesn't shock me at all that you would prefer a dictatorship

6. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Did you consider Obama to be a dictator when he issued the executive order regarding DACA?

#1446 MojoMan, Jan 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
  7. juicystream

Nope, but I didn't agree with the decision, and he didn't declare a national emergency to try and do it. And I wouldn't agree with Democrats if they were trying to de-fund an already passed border wall law.

8. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

Shocker.

9. juicystream

That I'm actually against abuse of executive powers and Congressional shenanigans?

10. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

No, that you do not advocate applying the same standards to Trump that you did to Obama.

11. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Trump sounded defeated in that presser today. At this point I wish he’d just declare an emergency so it can get blocked by the courts, and we can spare his fragile ego.

B-Bob likes this.
  12. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

He is drafting the emergency order. I posted the article just a few posts earlier.

13. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Yeah, saw that. I took that just as it’s something they are drafting just in case they decide to use it at some point. Not that he had made the decision to do it.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  14. juicystream

Actually I do, but you clearly don't...

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

MojoMan is an angry teenager. He doesn’t even realize the irony of his posts when cites Obama . Also before he piles on I’m a conservative that doesn’t want to pay for stupid crap, including ineffective walls or college for kids like him.

16. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

US announces it will deport asylum seekers to Mexico.

Mexico announces it will end its humanitarian visa program.

Mexico's humanitarian program is shameful. You cannot blame people for wanting to risk life-and-limb, passing through the country, as quick as possible in order to get to the United States.

17. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Do you not see the differences in morality, you know, what makes thing acceptable or unacceptable to a just society, between things that are inclusive, merciful, gracious and things that are callous, abusive, disruptive and exclusionary?

You earn your respect and leeway with the higher moral ground, you earn disdain with hateful rhetoric. Why would that even be a question in an ostensibly Christian nation.

NewRoxFan likes this.
  18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

1. Not an 'emergency.'
    2. Maintaining the Constitutional order of 3 coequal branches of government is more important than resolving the immigration problem.
    3. Republicans in the Obama era tried to do the most rational things they could to achieve their goals. They did not refrain from blocking Obamacare funding out of principle nor to buy goodwill from some future Democratic House. They did what they did to advance their agenda and to win elections. House Democrats don't owe some debt of gratitude to Congressional Republicans of yesteryear.
    4. I agree the shutdown has to end and a longterm solution to fix immigration are necessary. But they're separate. Trump needs to cave on this wall funding and release his hostages. Then we can try a negotiation on an immigration reform that all stakeholders can live with.

NewRoxFan and RayRay10 like this.
  19. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...I would submit that America is hardly a "Christian" nation...ostensibly or otherwise...;)

20. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

There is nothing moral, inclusive, merciful, or gracious about today's Democrat left. However the callousness, abusiveness, disruptiveness and exclusionariness are on virtually constant, full volume, on worldwide television, in-your-face public display.